Why bitcoin, NFTs, etc. will end in tears

A concert or sports event ticket can be an NFT. It can't be faked, lost or scalped. Any resale allowed could trigger a smart contract on the blockchain which pays something to the NFT creator. I totally get it.

What I don't get is what is so valuable with a stupid picture of a munkey?

stupid.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

What I don't get is what is so valuable with a stupid picture of a munkey?

tears of the person who've paid for it when you Right Click -> Save Image As... on it

• Haha 2

Lord Kelvin (26 June 1824 – 17 December 1907) addressed the British Association for the Advancement of Science with these words: “There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now".

(Not a fair quote, but you get the idea)

However, he also said.....

in 1902 ..... “Neither the balloon, nor the aeroplane, nor the gliding machine will be a practical success”.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 2

The analogies to the dot com bubble are indeed a worry for me as well. Just go back and look how long it took for the stars of those bubbles (amazon, google, etc) to financially get over the multitude of crapola that made up the dot com bubble. Nearly 10 years! There is a significant correlation to the crypto market (altcoins, DeFi, et al) that is worrying, i.e. 95% of the current crypto market has incredibly questionable usage cases and utility. 

Question now is do you think the scummy projects will die of natural attrition whilst the blue chips and Lv 1's succeed or do you think the scum will drag down the blue chips with for a considerable amount of time (years) before they can succeed.

I don't know the answer, its a risk that worries me though. There is going to be a cull at some point but what form will it take? Prices will tank when it happens.

Is the immediate future a trader's market or a hodler's mkt? I don't have 10 years left in my ageing hulk to play that long game as I am sure many others here don't either.

P.S. NFTs are going to be massive but not for any of the usage cases we see today which amount to little more than a "Ponzi".

Edited by Whale
added PS
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mjnaus said:

"What use could this company make of an electrical toy?"

- William Orton, president, Western Union Telegraph Company

He was quoted making the above statement when having the change to buy the patent for the telephone

"Do not bother to sell your gas shares. The electric light has no future."

- Professor John Henry Pepper, on Thomas Edison's electric light invention

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

- Charles H Duell, Commissioner of US Office of Patents, 1899

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."

- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, October 16, 1929.

"Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, October 16, 1929."There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will."

- Albert Einstein, 1932.

"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty—a fad."

- The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903.

"Television won't last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
- Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946.

I am sure you get my point by. People say dumb <deleted>. All... the... time.... Even those in supposed positions of power/authority/knowledge. 

Wasn´t it an executive on IBM in the seventies that predicted the demand for personal computers to less then ten a year?

On 3/17/2022 at 11:49 AM, Will B Good said:

Lord Kelvin (26 June 1824 – 17 December 1907) addressed the British Association for the Advancement of Science with these words: “There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now".

(Not a fair quote, but you get the idea)

However, he also said.....

in 1902 ..... “Neither the balloon, nor the aeroplane, nor the gliding machine will be a practical success”.

Lord Kelvin was born in Ireland, I rest my case.

He's not a scientist, but.......

"No one will need more than 637Kb of memory for a personal computer." ( Bill Gates )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

How many years took it from computers became mainstream from first invented? 

crypto technology will be outdated the day we start using digital currency as mandatory for everyone, or maybe the next generation find other solutions. There is no guarantee it will be cryptocurrency’s.

Todays Cryptocurrency is a beast that use to much resources, same as old computers filled huge rooms, needed a huge cooling machine and also space for storage. Today same capacity of technology fits in a small 12 inch desktop computer or smaller.  

Something to think about. 

Edited by Hummin

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Lord Kelvin was born in Ireland, I rest my case.

He's not a scientist, but.......

"No one will need more than 637Kb of memory for a personal computer." ( Bill Gates )

I wish he’d been correct. I was programming in the early 80’s, 19 kb of  memory, and I could write the whole Payroll program for a company with 1000+ employees. The ‘testing’ department would throw it back at me to re-write if there was greater than 4 second wait for the end user ( between input or output ).

I have a new laptop with 4 GB of RAM that takes 2 minutes to boot up and regularly ‘hangs’ midway through a process.

Progress? But I do get to view some pretty graphics and pictures whilst I’m waiting.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DaLa said:

I wish he’d been correct. I was programming in the early 80’s, 19 kb of  memory, and I could write the whole Payroll program for a company with 1000+ employees. The ‘testing’ department would throw it back at me to re-write if there was greater than 4 second wait for the end user ( between input or output ).

I have a new laptop with 4 GB of RAM that takes 2 minutes to boot up and regularly ‘hangs’ midway through a process.

Progress? But I do get to view some pretty graphics and pictures whilst I’m waiting.

Ahh i miss the 80s and 90s when your TV remote was working at he speed of light. Technology is fine but they have a habit of overcomplicating simple things now. Have to put a microprocessor in everything. If you stay in a fancy hotel nowdays you have touch panels to control the lighting. Absolutely backwards and unnecessary.

Edited by MajorTom
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Sure, like the internet, for instance.  Oh wait, that was created by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration.  Or the GPS app in your cell phone.  Oh wait, the GPS was created and is maintained by the military at taxpayer expense for which device makers like Garmin, etc. pay nothing.  The development of touch-screen technology was funded by the European CERN as was the first browser.  And on and on.

Thank god for free enterprise. 

And who created Bitcoin?

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

Sure, like the internet, for instance.  Oh wait, that was created by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration.  Or the GPS app in your cell phone.  Oh wait, the GPS was created and is maintained by the military at taxpayer expense for which device makers like Garmin, etc. pay nothing.  The development of touch-screen technology was funded by the European CERN as was the first browser.  And on and on.

I am guessing you worked for a Govenment department.

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

And where did they get the $ from? Oh wait free enterprise.