Alleged kidnappers revealed as Thai police

webfact

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

from the linked article....

The 650,000 baht worth of stolen money has not been recovered and no arrests have been made.

There's a photo of the woman, the accusation is public, it is reported by the news, the police acknowledged it, she isn't being ignored, she hasn't been killed to silence her.  I'm sorry if you don't understand that that is a step in the right direction, but it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is most unusual here is not so much that the kidnappers are police but the fact that the big police man admits culpability, now remain to be seen what will be the punishment of those involved...

movement to Inactive posts and retraining in not leaving evidence at scene of crime.

Assessment of competence to commit crime without detection

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Happened years ago.

I recall them kidnapping a guy on Soi Thonglor in front of Starbucks, locking him up in a safe house and draining his ATM card of the maximum amount each day.

Another case was the 'Duty Free theft scam" at the airport, where the cashier would fail to charge the customer for some item, then police waiting for them, accusing them of stealing, locking them up in a crummy short time hotel, threatening long jail time, arranging an expensive fake lawyer, forcing them to pay a huge fine then setting them free. 

thats a good one not heard of that one...clever

4 hours ago, lujanit said:

The cops were doing this years ago.  Remember the Blue Diamond Affair.  Cops kidnapped, raped (the woman) and murdered the wife and child of one of the people involved.

The BIB are a disgusting organisation that is beyond redemption.  I have no respect for any of them.

The blue diamond is still missing, no?

Ask any taxi driver in Bangkok and they will tell you who has it. 

The blue diamond and the Crown Jewels from a Saudi palace went missing when a Thai houseboy in the palace absconded with them and made it all the way back to Issan where he was selling them and handing them out to girlfriends. Lol

The theft wrecked diplomatic relations between Thai and Saudi and the police went looking for the gems, recovered some and returned them to the Saudis. The Saudis examined the loot and discovered  the police gave them copies of the stolen gems. 
Photos in the Bangkok Post high society pages showed the wives of big shots wearing very similar pieces…lol. 
A slew of murders occurred including a gem dealer and his family in Bangkok and a few Saudi investigators I recall. 

Edited by LarrySR

4 hours ago, lujanit said:

The cops were doing this years ago.  Remember the Blue Diamond Affair.  Cops kidnapped, raped (the woman) and murdered the wife and child of one of the people involved.

The BIB are a disgusting organisation that is beyond redemption.  I have no respect for any of them.

Only recently, I was sitting in a service area after just finishing my lunch, and a police pick up drew up next to me, Out stepped three policemen, one with an obvious high rank and two officers, one of the officers spoke English and held a conversation with me, they were very respectable towards me, so I was very respectable back to them.

If someone of a good appearance approaches me in a respectable manner, then I am going to return that respect.

So I think it would be wrong to say I have no respect for the BIB. But again, I do see where you are coming from.

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

There's a photo of the woman, the accusation is public, it is reported by the news, the police acknowledged it, she isn't being ignored, she hasn't been killed to silence her.  I'm sorry if you don't understand that that is a step in the right direction, but it is.

Yes it's a small one but a step none the less. Let's hope it's not followed by 2 steps back.

My wife and I did need to contact the police in Mahasarakham a few years back regarding a lost tablet and I was  surprised to find them extremely helpful. I doubt they are all corrupt but I would image it could be a pretty lonely existence in some areas. I remember someone on here saying the police weren't set up to stop crime but to bring it under state control. I'll leave others to decide how true that is.

My step daughter has started going out with a policeman in Bangkok. I asked my wife if that was something we should worry about and she seemed more concerned than me. He's from Isaan and we haven't met him yet. From what we can tell from others he seems OK so we're hoping he's one of the good ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Yes it's a small one but a step none the less. Let's hope it's not followed by 2 steps back.

My wife and I did need to contact the police in Mahasarakham a few years back regarding a lost tablet and I was  surprised to find them extremely helpful. I doubt they are all corrupt but I would image it could be a pretty lonely existence in some areas. I remember someone on here saying the police weren't set up to stop crime but to bring it under state control. I'll leave others to decide how true that is.

My step daughter has started going out with a policeman in Bangkok. I asked my wife if that was something we should worry about and she seemed more concerned than me. He's from Isaan and we haven't met him yet. From what we can tell from others he seems OK so we're hoping he's one of the good ones.

I hope you are correct, a friend of mine his daughter is also with a police office, he is university educated, holds quals in criminology and legal studies from UK. Well presented, well mannered so fingers crossed, good english and also speaks Spanish

• Like 1

I especially noticed the end of the article:

“No, police arresting police happens all of the time,” he responded.  “This is not the first case where officers have arrested other officers who broke the law”. 

:whistling:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I especially noticed the end of the article:

“No, police arresting police happens all of the time,” he responded.  “This is not the first case where officers have arrested other officers who broke the law”. 

:whistling:

Particularly concerning, as it points to a "cultural" issue.

I suppose though when one buys ones rank, as opposed to gaining it through competency and knowledge, and having to purchase equipment. 

Perhaps instead of making merit, rank could come through merit in ones profession

Edited by RJRS1301

14 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I remember someone on here saying the police weren't set up to stop crime but to bring it under state control. I'll leave others to decide how true that is.

I have no doubt that most developing countries are similar, as were our countries a few hundred years ago (or perhaps less).

• Like 1

What is happening now is that honest police officers now feel that they will be heard and action will be taken against such perpetrators without repercussion from the senior management. I think that social media has had a great part to play in this change of management policy towards whistle blowers. The Ferrari Joe incident showed that the whistle blowers will use other methods to reveal these creeps when they know that the senior management is complicit or just don't care

• Like 2

15 hours ago, webfact said:

On Friday, Lieutenant-General Trirong Puepun, the deputy chief of the MPB, told reporters that a group of 15 suspects worked together to unlawfully detain Chai, (a pseudonym), Karn (a pseudonym) and their 11-year-old daughter on March 10 in order to extort the family for money.

So what's happening now ,what are the Brothers going to do about it .Let it Slide ,Waiting for a Big donation or are they Really going to prosecute them or give them a warning that they are coming to get them soon so they can leave the country.

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I hope you are correct, a friend of mine his daughter is also with a police office, he is university educated, holds quals in criminology and legal studies from UK. Well presented, well mannered so fingers crossed, good english and also speaks Spanish

Good luck

One other point. A woman my wife worked with needed to borrow some money.  It was because of some problem with illegal lottery. I don't understand it or what the problem was but we lent the money and she paid it back. She lives with a lawyer although that may have been later and I'm not sure if she still does the illegal lottery.  My wife told me her relative "runs illegal lottery. Lives with policeman". I don't know if I was supposed to make a connection there or not but I have noticed a BMW outside the house.