Analysis/Opinion: Pressure is on Thai Government from all directions to drop and ease Covid-19 restrictions but it won’t happen yet. Here is why.

webfact

19 minutes ago, LALes said:

I'm in Danang now and its quite empty.  Of course, its only 2 weeks into the re-open so its too early to tell what it will look like in the future.  The last time I was here in  2019, the place was full of Korean, Japanese and Chinese.  They are all gone.  Some Americans living here but only a smattering of tourists.  Plane was half full coming over from BKK and not all of them were tourists.

Not much different in Ho Chi Minh.  I was the only white face around much of the time.  I kinda like this.

Vietnam is easier to get into than Thailand but not by much.  Only difference is no quarantine.  I still needed vax card, insurance, e-visa and negative Antigen 24 hr test.

Thank you for your post . Many foreigners here take great joy in knocking what ever the Thai Government  decides during  the pandemic period . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, fredscats said:

Its a massive money maker for Thailand,the only one operating at the moment,probably into the distant future

Here's When COVID Will End, Experts Predict

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/here-s-when-covid-will-end-experts-predict/ss-AAVLd58?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=5e9907960b60471ba87528330c4b1960

COVID SCIENCE-Vaccination after COVID improves immunity; ivermectin fails in major trial

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-science-vaccination-after-covid-improves-immunity-ivermectin-fails-in-major-trial/ar-AAVLxZI?ocid=Peregrine&cvid=5e9907960b60471ba87528330c4b1960

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keithkarmann said:
4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve never understood why financial incentives to get people vaccinated never even seem to be discussed. If the Thai Govt gave every Thai citizen (sorry expats) say 5,000 baht for every shot they had at the appropriate time of a quality vaccine, I’m sure the number vaccinated would rapidly increase. Those citizens already vaccinated would also get the payments. Even if it had to be funded by printing money, that would cause far less damage to the economy than the continued devastation of the tourist industry, and a slightly lower baht might be a good thing anyway.

Expand  

200 baht would do it.

the govt is forming a committee .    the goal is to come up with a number , just how much would be needed to "entice"  people to do it.   I think the slogan will be  ;  Just Do It !       

Different amounts have been suggested ... with one member saying that 696 baht could be a good position to accept.    Our great leader has said "he will sleep on it'  and let us know.

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

What a lot of <deleted>.  Government doesn't care for the nations health. This is all about maintaining power and control. They are <deleted>ting themselves about what will happen once and if they remove the emergency decree.

well said 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Perhaps their focus needs to be on the vaccination of their own locals, instead of to complicate travel requirements for fully vaccinated insurance tourists who like to visit for a long sun holiday.

Go back read the article, there is something  about getting 2 million elderly to get the shot.

6 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve never understood why financial incentives to get people vaccinated never even seem to be discussed. If the Thai Govt gave every Thai citizen (sorry expats) say 5,000 baht for every shot they had at the appropriate time of a quality vaccine, I’m sure the number vaccinated would rapidly increase. 

Pfft.  Why 5,000 baht?   You can buy a persons vote here for 300baht.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Perhaps their focus needs to be on the vaccination of their own locals, instead of to complicate travel requirements for fully vaccinated insurance tourists who like to visit for a long sun holiday.

Did you read the last paragraph of the post? I'm no fan of Anutin, but in this case he and the Gov't are IMO "bang on"!

11 hours ago, webfact said:

about 2 million elderly and vulnerable have still not been fully vaccinated.

Well, that's a much less percentage than in many EU countries.

I read in Germany almost 15 millions refused vaccination.

So down with restrictions ????

• Like 2

It's crony covid conspirators ($$) + old guard political hacks (elections, protests) - many of the same individuals. Imagine if you will a Venn diagram.

spacer.png

If the concerns were deaths I'd be looking at road safety. Moreover, it's been better part of three years about time for any and everyone that wants to get *vaccined* to have had one ...or two...or five how many it ever takes now.

Edited by TheScience
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Will said:

I don't quite understand this.

So 2 million Thais have not been vaccinated -- out of choice.

Are the Tourists being made to run through hoops to protect the them being infected by the '2 million' -- or are Tourists being made to run through hoops to protect the '2 million'?

Don't think about it. It's just a rationale. Question answered...move along nothing to see here..

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Makes too much sense for complex Thai bureaucracy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Thailand insists on a one night quarantine and PCR  test and a further antigen test on day 5.

I wouldn't call the one nite stay a "quarantine," I mean you gotta stay somewhere unless you plan to sleep on the street. I think the second test is going away soon...and in any case a 15 minute self antigen test isnt much of in imposition.  If any of this is too much, people are free to go elsewhere.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

IMO, with 90+ deaths from Covid just reported for yesterday......there is something going very wrong here.

The BP has reported this morning, that BKK medical facilities cannot cope with covid cases, and are asking surrounding regions to take the overflow of patients.

Is the reported 25K cases each day anywhere near close to the real figure?  We do know they don't include RAT test +ives, in the count.

Should tourists be encouraged to visit the country if Covid is out of control, as the BP suggested?

You need to ask yourself if these deaths are people who were in hospital for other reasons and died from those reasons but just happened to have omicron. Dying with not dying from. This is all about the state of emergency. There is no reason that absolutetly everything shouldn't be open. Yes, infections will go through the roof but as it is it's just being drawn out with no peak in sight.

9 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve never understood why financial incentives to get people vaccinated never even seem to be discussed. If the Thai Govt gave every Thai citizen (sorry expats) say 5,000 baht for every shot they had at the appropriate time of a quality vaccine, I’m sure the number vaccinated would rapidly increase. Those citizens already vaccinated would also get the payments. Even if it had to be funded by printing money, that would cause far less damage to the economy than the continued devastation of the tourist industry, and a slightly lower baht might be a good thing anyway.

This is about the worst take that i have seen,

You suggest the Thai Governments gonna give 40 odd million people, over 10,000 baht each in order , in some cases 15,000 that roughly equals 400,000,000,000 baht away!? Plus all the associated costs that stop people getting 6 shots and taking 5,000 baht each time. A clerical and financial nightmare.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, itsari said:

Vietnam relaxed there entry rules on the 15th of March 2022 . 

It will be interesting to see if there will be a surge in the number of visitors after a month .

Somehow I doubt it due to the continued problems with covid around the world .

Health wise and financially will keep the numbers way down . 

Do not forget that China continues to have travel restrictions .

I agree...just sayin' if people want to come, Thailand's current scheme is on par with most other destinations in SE Asia.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheScience said:

Don't think about it. It's just a rationale. Question answered...move along nothing to see here..

Shirley, there's nothing to see if one is blind. 

Moving along. ????