Age Gap Relationships... in the Later Years? (Opinions/Experiences Sought)

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I would definitely prefer a pretty Thai girl without much money. Because that is part of the dynamic of the relationship.

I know some people want, or at least pretend, they want equal relationships. You have your career and she has her career and you both make a lot of money, have educated friends, etc. If that is what you want then go for it. Many of us don't want a relationship like that. We don't want a career woman - even if she is hot and wealthy.

Hmm interesting perspective, not one that would work for me.

I've never wanted a partner who was lesser than me.

I've cherished the fact that all the women in my life were able to be my intellectual equal and give as good as they get.

I understand that for some, a power, dominant relationship works. But I would suggest that back to the OP, if you are looking for 'love' that probably isn't going to work long term

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is so much fun. It is a wonderful feeling to watch the Western women squirm and to witness their confusion and disapproval.

............whilst maintaining impeccably an expression of complete nonchalence should there glare catch your eye........!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC. Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you. But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, to hook up with a 35 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of us are engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, and we have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

Even though my wife is very smart, I do not get much intellectual stimulation from the relationship. But, I get so much else. And in all of the relationships I was ever in with really smart women, who I got intellectual stimulation from, there was also so much grief to contend with. Such combative women. So much competition. Yikes. Thrilled to death to have left all of that behind. When I was only in the relationship for a year or so, I had dinner with a very sharp American friend. I asked him about that. He laughed. He said, when you feel the need for intellectual stimulation, call me. We can hook up for the meal, and break down the origins of the cosmos. Do not fret. That same brain that gives you that stimulation, also tends to give you so much grief, it is not worth it, on any level. Get over it. Enjoy all of the other qualities, that make your day so delightful and fulfilling. Great advice, that I have followed to this day. I learned long ago that an intellectual woman, who can match me intellectually, also tends to be a combative woman, and the chance of harmony is low. I for one, love a harmonious house, where my woman is joyful and light hearted, with a great sense of humor, and an amazing attitude toward life, and us. Just my point of view. Whatever works for you, stick with it.

One of the most wonderful things about Thailand, is that the judgment level of couples with signifiant differences in age, is not as harsh, as in the west. My wife is quite a bit younger than me too. It works really well for us. When I dated women close to my age back in the US, it rarely ever worked out. Most were very rigid, closed minded, and set in their ways. Plus, many liked to go to bed very early, and behaved as if they were 20 years older than they were. That was not fun. I find younger women to be far more vital, more vigorous, and if you are fortunate to find one, far more open minded and adventurous.

I find when we are out in public many men stare at her, as she is still very attractive and fit, and look at me with envy. Women here seem to be fairly neutral. In the US we get some attention. She gets alot of looks, and the guys look at me like they presume I am a centi-millionaire. The gals look at me like I a felon, and have committed a major crime, by refusing to jump over the hurdles prescribed by them, and taking a shortcut to heaven. That is so much fun. It is a wonderful feeling to watch the Western women squirm and to witness their confusion and disapproval.

I kinda get that.

But we are all different.

I kinda get off on the fact that my wife is my equal, actually she's more than my equal she's the one with the PhD, I'm a lowly undergrad.

She's spiky and we will argue about all sorts of stuff on an intellectual level.

But we always end up laughing and that all I can wish wish for

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Guest Isaanlife
21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nearly every friend I have in the US is single. Why? Because for a man in the US, who is past the age of 50, unless he is willing to get with a woman at least his age, his prospects are dim for finding love, or companionship. Some guys like me, simply prefer younger women. Not kids, but women who are 10, 15, even 20 or 25 years younger than us. For a dozen very valid reasons. I could break them down, but why bother? The PC crew will jump on this and say it is not right. You should not be able to have this kind of life, without jumping over ridiculous hurdles! Means nothing to me. I do not do PC. Why be with a woman our age, if we do not need to? Nothing wrong with it, if it works for you. But It is virtually impossible for a 60 year old man in the US, to hook up with a 35 year old woman, unless she is very fat or very ugly, or he is a centi millionaire, or is famous. Period. It just does not happen in this day and age.

Here it is possible. Granted he will likely get with a woman of lesser means, who needs a guy who can provide some financial stability. So what? Who cares? Most women want financial stability anywhere in the world, whether they admit it or not. The difference is here the women are more honest about their financial needs and desires. I know a lot of us are engaged in relationships with lovely, kind, supportive, humorous, and sexy women here, and we have very good lives. Fulfilling lives. Lives we could never dream of having back in the US, Oz, NZ, UK, Canada, or Scandinavia.

Even though my wife is very smart, I do not get much intellectual stimulation from the relationship. But, I get so much else. And in all of the relationships I was ever in with really smart women, who I got intellectual stimulation from, there was also so much grief to contend with. Such combative women. So much competition. Yikes. Thrilled to death to have left all of that behind. When I was only in the relationship for a year or so, I had dinner with a very sharp American friend. I asked him about that. He laughed. He said, when you feel the need for intellectual stimulation, call me. We can hook up for the meal, and break down the origins of the cosmos. Do not fret. That same brain that gives you that stimulation, also tends to give you so much grief, it is not worth it, on any level. Get over it. Enjoy all of the other qualities, that make your day so delightful and fulfilling. Great advice, that I have followed to this day. I learned long ago that an intellectual woman, who can match me intellectually, also tends to be a combative woman, and the chance of harmony is low. I for one, love a harmonious house, where my woman is joyful and light hearted, with a great sense of humor, and an amazing attitude toward life, and us. Just my point of view. Whatever works for you, stick with it.

One of the most wonderful things about Thailand, is that the judgment level of couples with signifiant differences in age, is not as harsh, as in the west. My wife is quite a bit younger than me too. It works really well for us. When I dated women close to my age back in the US, it rarely ever worked out. Most were very rigid, closed minded, and set in their ways. Plus, many liked to go to bed very early, and behaved as if they were 20 years older than they were. That was not fun. I find younger women to be far more vital, more vigorous, and if you are fortunate to find one, far more open minded and adventurous.

I find when we are out in public many men stare at her, as she is still very attractive and fit, and look at me with envy. Women here seem to be fairly neutral. In the US we get some attention. She gets alot of looks, and the guys look at me like they presume I am a centi-millionaire. The gals look at me like I a felon, and have committed a major crime, by refusing to jump over the hurdles prescribed by them, and taking a shortcut to heaven. That is so much fun. It is a wonderful feeling to watch the Western women squirm and to witness their confusion and disapproval.

Mike,

By your own admission, you had no choice but a younger woman in Thailand.

If every friend you have in the US is single? Why is that? Couldn't find a woman since they turned 18 years old?

Divorced? Takes 2 to tango.

You really think 60 year old foreign men are desirable in the west? Yeh, maybe George Clooney.

How many good looking 60+ year old men have you seen out and about in Thailand compared to the complete opposite (fat, dirty, mouthy, etc.)?

Why in the world would a 35 year old in the US want a 60 year old?

Did you get taught growing up by your own parents that a 60 year old man with a 20 year old women was normal?

Of course not! It isn't.

You only started thinking that way when it happened to you; due to no other choices.

It is no one's fault, write it off as destiny. 

My brother is still married to his high school girlfriend. 40+ years.

Others move to Thailand because they heard women are easy 

There isn't 1 person on this forum, when coming into manhood as a teenager, ever dreamed about moving to Thailand and marrying a local.

Yet here we are all today, married to Thai women.

There is no need to make excuses, blame women in your own country or blame anyone at all.

We all had a choice to move and get married. No one forced us to get married. We got married because we wanted to.

With marriage there should be NO excuses. You got to choose exactly who you wanted to spend your life with.

Does it matter is she is Thai, younger, not as smart as long as you are both happy?

We all had a choice and I hope, everyone knew what they were getting involved in.

However, due to the high foreigner divorce rate in Thailand, it appears many did not know that.

Many foreigners here burnt in their western marriages, still bitter years later and think sex with a 20 year old is the answer.

I guess sex doesn't quite solve the bitterness of losing everything a person owns? Even though many like to brag about it.

We all had a choice who we chose to get married to.

Some men understood in the beginning there would be trade offs. Some still don't understand it.

No different than understanding the trade-offs involved in marrying a western woman.

Some men have really nourished and mentored their Thai wives so they can stand on their own 2 feet in any country.

Other's in Thailand thinking giving their wife 300 baht a month to spend is doing them a favor.

Ask yourself how some men marry a real stunning rock star in Thailand and make it work year after year in countries all over the world?

Ask those guys that invested the time and effort to mentor to bring their wife up to even par with them, so they can survive on their own 2 feet.

Ask the ones that have been married for 20 years what is their secret to a successful life? You will find completely different answers from the sex mongers.

You have to admit, not every foreigner in Thailand is a good person; as this forum is evidence of that.

But by doing the right things, you can have a fantastic marriage and relationship; no matter the age difference.

Some people will go into a potential relationship and see the challenges that lie ahead.

Others with brag and gloat how young and how much sex they have.

I was smart enough to know in the beginning, sooner or later, the age difference would catch up. I understood that, I understood the challenges.

I knew right off a day would come I would no longer be with her and she would still have her own life ahead of her.

Education, citizenship, mentoring banking, real estate, financial considerations, importance of good credit, how to stand on her own 2 feet.

Some men still scared to death their wife will run off, so they never do anything for her.

Pathetic lot. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the office girls I know are boring, at least IMHO. 

This is what I found. I worked in prestigious jobs and every single place I worked got indications of interest from women who fitted the thaivisa ideal, Educated, Thai-Chinese etc. They just didn't attract me strongly enough. I also dated in that strata and found the same, they just didn't really attract me strongly enough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, and you may spend years planning for when you become ill and immobile and when you cannot walk or feed yourself  and getting a younger wife to take care of you , then you may suddenly drop dead walking down the street and a carer wasn't needed after all 

So what? It's comforting to have the insurance policy. I suggest you read up on the findings of the Royal Commission into Aged Care in Australia, the Thai model is infinitely more preferable.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

This is what I found. I worked in prestigious jobs and every single place I worked got indications of interest from women who fitted the thaivisa ideal, Educated, Thai-Chinese etc. They just didn't attract me strongly enough. I also dated in that strata and found the same, they just didn't really attract me strongly enough.

Maybe you and the previous poster met women who were initially more conservative than a woman who is looking to 'grab' a farang and your expectations were different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So you would have a Parent/Child kind of relationship , you would be acting like Parent to a Child , teaching them about correct ways to behave .

I gave up trying to teach/inform Thai ladies about anything , like not leaving wet towels on the bed and things like that . 

I had to tell her every single time and the next time, Wet Towel on the bed again and I would explain that the bed would get wet and the towel would smell .

After about a year of trying to get her to hang wet towels up for  them to dry , I just gave up and lived with wet towels on the bed 

I have this sort of Parent/Child kind of relationship, obviously with the big difference that we share the same bed.

I didn't say you have to choose a stupid girl. I don't think I even had to mention a wet towel to my gf ever. If she is (relative) smart then she will learn all by herself and you can guide her in the more difficult situations. At least for me that worked and still works.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marvo said:

As a 60 yr old very happily married for 15 yrs (with a 20yr age gap), it's fascinating to hear all of the diverse opinions vocalised in this thread. 3 cheers for free speech!
I'm amazed no one has brought up for discussion Gary Chapman's incredibly insightful book "The Five Love Languages".

Discovering this was a game changer for me years ago.
In brief, there are essentially 5 main ways that we either express, or desire love to be expressed to us. All of us have a dominant love language. If we speak (or understand) the same language as our "love interest", then BINGO!, anything is possible, simple as that. Read the book, and thank me later ????.
And those 5 love languages:....

• words of affirmation (compliments)
  • quality time
  • receiving gifts
  • acts of service
  • physical touch

Thanks, I will have a look at that book.

From my early days in Thailand I remember there is one universal language: body language ????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been hoping mine would run off for years ............. no signs yet!

and there probably won't be.....................and then one day, suddenly..............................free at last.........

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, I will have a look at that book.

From my early days in Thailand I remember there is one universal language: body language ????

...not forgetting 13 Thai smiles 'n all...................

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

There are obvious benefits for the man in the type of relationship I have described (risks too of course) and hopefully there are benefits for the woman too, beyond simple remuneration.  It's nice to hear about successful and happy age-gap relationships.

This thread is full of comments mentioning money in age gap relations. And I am sure money plays a role.

But how about same age relationships? How many women of any age would accept a guy who has not at least the amount of money and income which she has? Women from any age group prefer rich guys. I guess some of them understand their position on this pecking order and they accept a guy who is only a little rich. But the principle is the same.

So why should a guy choose an old woman when he can get a pretty girl for only a little more?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This thread is full of comments mentioning money in age gap relations. And I am sure money plays a role.

But how about same age relationships? How many women of any age would accept a guy who has not at least the amount of money and income which she has? Women from any age group prefer rich guys. I guess some of them understand their position on this pecking order and they accept a guy who is only a little rich. But the principle is the same.

So why should a guy choose an old woman when he can get a pretty girl for only a little more?

Most folks assume that the majority of farang/thai relationships are based on older male, & money dynamic.

Some of us are just regular folks. 

When I met my wife, I was technically her boss, which was a little naughty and I'm sure violated a sh***t load of HR policies.

But here we are years later, I retired from real work and now do a hobby job so i don't get bored and she works for the Feds and out earns me 10:1

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So you would have a Parent/Child kind of relationship , you would be acting like Parent to a Child , teaching them about correct ways to behave .

I gave up trying to teach/inform Thai ladies about anything , like not leaving wet towels on the bed and things like that . 

I had to tell her every single time and the next time, Wet Towel on the bed again and I would explain that the bed would get wet and the towel would smell .

After about a year of trying to get her to hang wet towels up for  them to dry , I just gave up and lived with wet towels on the bed 

Was the towel wet from washing or after a bed gym session?
My friend Bill wants to know.

10 hours ago, Adumbration said:

This is patently untrue. I am far more attracted to Asian women than women Caucasian women from my country.

My GF has exquisite smooth and hairless skin, tiny feet and a button nose.  

I saw lots with very hairy legs. They don't bother, shaving or waxing them.

Nose? Yes, plenty with a nose job.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been hoping mine would run off for years ............. no signs yet!

Please pay the remaining mortgage in full, send me a picture of your wife, take your son with you and probably we can make a deal.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:32 PM, vinci said:

Asian in general woman age faster then men for that 20 year gap is not a problem, for farang you guy don't age very well, most of you in your 40 you look like 60

Yes, the big bellied, facial haired lot certainly look about 20 years older than their age.

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:53 PM, BangkokReady said:

The same for anyone really.  She's not attractive to guys her own age.  Money, power and status at a level that she otherwise could not get.  She has a thing for older guys.  Or she doesn't care about age and likes the older guy for whatever reason.  ????‍♂️

The thing is, a single guy of any age will mostly look for someone in their twenties.  And if they can find one, then they will attempt a relationship.  If the woman is willing, Bob's your Uncle.

I feel like it is more acceptable in Thailand than in the West, even with Thai and Thai.  And, generally speaking, the guy always buys the girl, maybe the older guys just pay a little more.

You must know that money is a very big factor in relationships in Thailand, right?

Money is no factor at all with Mrs Possum and me, I am 20 years older, she has her money and I have mine, and it has been highly successful the 15 years we have been together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1