20K fine and two years in jail - police warn public not to step out of line at Songkran

webfact

So, yesterday AOT announced that there will be 1 million coming to

Thailand this Songkran (11/17 april). And today (in this news thread)

they are warning people to have fun, at a water festival!

Who are those people, that do not have a clue about how people go

on about in their lifes. Sorry, my fault, I thought I was somewhere else.

I wish!

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Drive while absolutely hammered and face a few points on your licence and risk the same fine but without the jail sentence.   :whistling:    erm... .

Hardly.  Drink driving punishments in Thailand go to a maximum of 10 years imprisonment and B200,000 fine. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

So why not cancel Songkran all together and be done with that? and with Songran cancelled, the penalty can be even bigger and a 100 years jail for people who just want to unwind and celebrate a holiday like they couldn't do for 2 years I wonder if this is the general's own idea or an order from way above?...

So why not just obey the law, it's based on the Covid problem or have you forgotten?, current deaths 100 per day. 

The fine amount seems to change hourly.

And two years in jail?

Sheesh, which thai laws are they applying here?

They could have shut this down last night, but they made a conscious decision not to do so. Now it's a hair on fire problem? Strange people. 

Tonight...

https://fb.watch/cnLNKua2nU/

Edited by mtls2005

Well! Let’s put that in a realistic perspective… there are:

~ 230,000 Royal Thai Police

and

~ 70,000,000 Thai

That’s roughly 300 Thai for 1 policeman !

Or:

assuming they arrest people, and only 0.14%  of the 70 million Thai would say:

Okay, put me into jail, I won’t pay the 20,000 baht fine!
- - - Really? You have space for 100,000 more prisoners?

(… even, when  leaving the necessary number of judges for 100,000 court procedures out of the equation. ????)

1 hour ago, kennw said:

So why not just obey the law, it's based on the Covid problem or have you forgotten?, current deaths 100 per day. 

and how many deaths in traffic every day??? and how many of the Covid patients are on a certain age with underlying diseases??? Maybe they would die anyway this year... with or without Covid

• Like 1

even if different areas have their own spin on what is acceptable."

Erm? Why? Because the hierarchy haven't got the balls to make the decisions for themselves, so they pass the buck down the line causing utter confusion along the way, leaving the "rules" open to misinterpretation, and hefty fines if plod on the street feels like he wants lobster for dinner on Sunday!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, keystonecoppers2 said:

So, yesterday AOT announced that there will be 1 million coming to

Thailand this Songkran (11/17 april). And today (in this news thread)

they are warning people to have fun, at a water festival!

Who are those people, that do not have a clue about how people go

on about in their lifes. Sorry, my fault, I thought I was somewhere else.

I wish!

Cheers!

"............they are warning people to have fun, at a water festival!"

I think the word "NOT" might be missing somewhere in your post!