Does it annoy you when co owners and tennants in your condo do not obey the rules

It seems most people in my building obey the rules.

What I don't like are Airbnb rented units. There are big signs that this is illegal. But it seem people pick up keys at the official condominium management counter as if it is a hotel.

It seems the big problem is that the main owner allows it. And it seems he is the one who would need to instruct the management to enforce the rules. He doesn't tell them so they don't do it.

And then, this being Thailand, it is understandable that ordinary security guards and office staff don't want to tell those on an upper levels of that hacking order what to do. Better keep quiet... 

• Like 1

anyone who's been in thailand a while, and has common sense, will do due diligence before renting or buying an apartment. I live in an excellently managed apartment building. anyone breaking the rules gets one warning and then out, there are some real idiots out there. all complaints are followed up with positive action. it's a wonderful place to live.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes a polite thing to do wear a mask in a lift even though does nothing

Apart from preventing getting the chinese plague. 

If someone walks into a lift that has the plague and is not wearing a mask, I would prefer to be wearing my N95 mask than not. For sure if I dont have one on I can get the virus. Is this clear enough for you?

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I don't have any of those problems in my condo so maybe it depends on the types of people who live there and how strict the office is

You are correct... It's even better now with less Russians in my condo.. They used to let outside friends reserve the sun loungers, and before security was tightened.. They let outside friends use the car parks long-term, smokeing near pool, wet in elevator etc etc.. I don't think anybody misses them.. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jack71 said:

If someone walks into a lift that has the plague and is not wearing a mask, I would prefer to be wearing my N95 mask than not. For sure if I dont have one on I can get the virus. Is this clear enough for you?

A mask can prevent spreading covid, there is more unsure it can prevent you from getting it. 

Also to the amount of the virus you get is essential if you can become sick and become an spreader of the virus, and how sick you become depends on your antibodies. Science is not 100% sure, but overall mask can prevent people from spread the virus, and also the amount of virus you might get when you wearing a mask. Also depending on mask quality and if you use it correct. 

If you have a beard, does that complicate wearing a mask?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I want to live in that condo project.  It all sounds wonderful--rules being enforced.  Don't bring in pets when they aren't allowed.  Don't drink booze at the pool when it's not allowed.  Don't throw stuff out of 20th floor windows, etc., etc.  Obey the rules and seems like you'll be ok.  And, hey, they're protective of your packages!

Go for it... Millennium Residences Bangkok. 

I’m all for common sense rules and there were many good rules there, but what I encountered more than anything else were people with a very small dash of power exercising that power in a ridiculous extremely flippant and unfriendly manner. 

The ‘over reaction’ of the condo committee

Don't bring in pets when they aren't allowed. 

The pet wasn’t ‘brought in’.... Wife’s friend was dropping something off. her friend got out the car and had a chat. Tiny little dog got excited, so the owner took the dog out and held it while they stood next to the car chatting - The dog didn’t go anywhere...  Not exactly worth a 15,000 baht fine and certainly not in the manner with which the ’threat of the fine’ was delivered to my Wife in front of a visiting guest. 

Don't drink booze at the pool when it's not allowed. 

Why not enjoy a beer at the pool, whats the harm?.. I’ve never had that rule at any Condo I’ve lived in or hotel I’ve visited.

I get the no drunk behaviour, no parties, no music... of course... but a couple of beers, thats just being silly.

I'd just put a G&T in flask if I wanted a ’sun-downer’ - the idea of imposing a ‘you can’t have a beer’ (by the pool) rule on an adult in the place they live is utterly ridiculous. 

Don't throw stuff out of 20th floor windows.

It was a kid throwing a paper plane out of the window - hardly a 20,000 baht offence. The residents who were ’threatened with the fine’ we’re dealt with in an extremely offhand manner. 

It's not as if they emptied their trash out of the window. 

etc., etc.  Obey the rules and seems like you'll be ok.  And, hey, they're protective of your packages!

And no, they weren’t being protective. They were being deliberately awkward and difficult.

The staff in the juristic office and one of the security staff were deliberately awkward and difficult in many of the interactions - they were on a power trip. 

Many residents we spoke to loved the accommodation, but hated the attitudes of the juristic staff. 

One of the Thai residents ended up punching a security guard over the way he was spoken to. 

There were so many complaints from owners and tenants the whole juristic company was changed out. Now, if they were running things well, that wouldn’t have happened. 

Things can be run well, with common sense rules and discretion without going completely overboard or letting things fall apart. 

Compared to some posters, my condo block seems fine.  My biggest peeve is that the (Thai) juristic person / building manager seems to make and implement whatever rules she wants.  No AGMs these days either, Covid is the excuse as usual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why not enjoy a beer at the pool, whats the harm?.. I’ve never had that rule at any Condo I’ve lived in or hotel I’ve visited.

I get the no drunk behaviour, no parties, no music... of course... but a couple of beers, thats just being silly.

I'd just put a G&T in flask if I wanted a ’sun-downer’ - the idea of imposing a ‘you can’t have a beer’ (by the pool) rule on an adult in the place they live is utterly ridiculous. 

The most common rule with no eating and drinking is due to glass pieces if you brake something around the pool or in the pool, and also many who leave trash behind. Most condos I have lived in had designated areas where you could eat and drink outside. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

The most common rule with no eating and drinking is due to glass pieces if you brake something around the pool or in the pool, and also many who leave trash behind. Most condos I have lived in had designated areas where you could eat and drink outside. 

The no glass thing definitely.... makes perfect sense and someone would have to be an idiot to take glasses to a swimming pool.

As for food making a mess etc - some people are inconsiderate ayholes.

I guess the issues are the ‘blanket bans’ because a minority are careless. 

I’d rather individual idiots are dealt with on an individual basis rather than a set of ridiculously strict set or rules or something which doesn’t make any-sense. 

In the examples I provided, we could drink anything else by the pool, we could eat pizza by the pool etc... but we were stopped (more than a few times) when we got a can of beer out of the cooler !!!

Where I live now... There are no ‘rule’... but there is common sense... children play with a balls in the pool or in the play area, adults chill out and the drink wine or beer by the pool, order their pizza etc.... its a home. 

Only once in 3 years have I found two things unacceptable.... I turned up at the pool and someone had left a rolled up nappy (diaper), my guess is the mum had simply forgotten, still pretty disgusting.... but thats just a one off.

The other is I don’t like the speed the delivery drivers go through the complex, and one or two of the residents (most are careful). 

There are a couple of other issues I tolerate, but don’t really like... And thats people drying their laundry in front of their house or on their balcony at the front. Many are ok with this, I think its just not a good look for an area !!! 

There are also a couple of people who take their dog for a walk (on leash) but let the dog poop in the garden area and don’t do a ‘pickup’ - which I find pretty offensive (especially if its near where kids play and their ball could go in there). 

8 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

My biggest pet peeve is Jerks that refuse to wear a mask in the elevator - and our condo does nothing at all about it. Everywhere else I can simply walk away, but the elevator is the one tiny shared space everyone must use to get to home.

Our Juristic manager is an anti masker who manipulates condo rules and enforcement to  enable his own sociopathic conduct. Unfortunately the management company is spineless and honors this guys every whim. TIT ????

LOL! If you are such worried about your health, why don't you take the stairs? It's way healthier LOL

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, newnative said:

If an owner is leaving shoes out--and decorating the public hallway with his plants--then he is in the wrong place if both are against the condo rules.  As another poster said, if you want to do that check the condo rules first before buying or renting. 

I feel it's important to have strict rules and enforce them.  One pair of shoes in the hallway can lead to a half dozen or more scattered around. One person's idea of what is tasteful is likely to clash with someone else's.  An attractive plant in a nice pot in the hallway might sound ok.  But, what happens when the plant pot leaks and stains the floor?  Or, the resident decides that since one plant is ok, why not have 5 or 6?  And, let's add a plant trellis while we're at it.  Better to say no and enforce it--the resident can practice his green thumb in his private unit, not the public areas.

The pots and plants outside my apartments are artificial. I wouldn't put a live plant outside that needed watering.

They add colour, depth and warmth to the corridors.

I'd prefer that than a set of doors  like a cheap hotel.

7 hours ago, jack71 said:

Ive made a mental note to never buy a condo. 

I own several - and you're completely right in doing so - you're much better renting, esp' if you're a frequent traveler or split your time between Thailand and "home" ????

There are many responsibilities and they are a tax on your time and wallet - let the Landlord take the stress - do the maintenance, pay for issues and pay the maintenance fees.

Edited by Pmbkk

2 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

The pots and plants outside my apartments are artificial. I wouldn't put a live plant outside that needed watering.

They add colour, depth and warmth to the corridors.

I'd prefer that than a set of doors  like a cheap hotel.

Regarding pot plants (and other personal belongings) left in the common areas:

People can trip over pot plants, shoes, mats etc in the event of power failures or for the visual impaired. 

It’s also not fair on cleaners to have to work around, move or lift people’s pot plants and other stuff. 

People, including cleaners with backpack-style vacuum cleaners, can bump wall hangings causing the hangings to fall and injure themselves or others. 

Corridors, stairwells (and all common areas for that matter), should always be free of obstructions. If corridors lack colour or warmth or whatever, take it up with management.. or better still, don’t buy or rent there in the first place. 

Rules are in place for a reason. If the rules don’t allow for it, then don’t do it. Simple!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jack71 said:

If you aren't wearing the N95 you're wasting your time, the funny thing is in Scotland where they still have a mask mandate have the most cases

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, jack71 said:

Ive made a mental note to never buy a condo. 

Fair mental note.

I once bought a great 3 b/r beachfront condo in Aus, 2 stories up. Lasted 11 months. Hated everything about condo living (sharing lifts was sometimes disgusting). It was like having another "Boss".

Everything last 20 years (9+ in Thailand) has been ground level and detached.

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Fair mental note.

I once bought a great 3 b/r beachfront condo in Aus, 2 stories up. Lasted 11 months. Hated everything about condo living (sharing lifts was sometimes disgusting). It was like having another "Boss".

Everything last 20 years (9+ in Thailand) has been ground level and detached.

And in the nanny state of oz you get people in these positions of power creating many rules. I cant stand that either. 

In Thailand when I go away once a month to a beach location I book a rented condo or 4 to 5 star hotel. 

No.  It annoys me when they DO "obey" the rules. Example: idiot in the elevator trying to keep me out since there are already four people in there. I have to wait too long for an elevator as it is. I pushed this scumbag out of the way and barged inside. Don't mess with me when I am just trying to get to the ground floor. I have mask and am fully vaccinated.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lots of curtain-twitchers getting things off their chest..

As a former Chairman of the Co-Owners Committee, I'll throw my 2 cents worth into the discussion..

Before getting upset about obeying or disregarding "rules" you have to check if they are real rules or "vapour-rules"...

All Condominiums in Thailand have to follow a document called "Articles of Association". The document is identical for every Condominium building, with the exception of the portion devoted to the voting percentage of each condo.

Of the complaints listed above, only the rule about leaving articles in the common hallway is noted in the Articles of Association. The rules noting dogs, beer at the pool, playing with a ball etc are not mentioned. If the Co-Owners Committee have not voted on a supplementary By-law, which must be approved by the Land Office, that's not a rule, that's a bluff..

No By-law, no rule.

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 2

Unfortunately in Condos the Committee and Management have to manage to the lowest common denominator in the building. Whereas 99% of people could have a beer or drink around the pool responsibly there would always be a couple who did not and ruin it for everyone else.

I have great condo management so i don't really have anything to complain about. My only current bug bear is people parking their fancy cars in the drop of area as they are to lazy to take it up to the car parking. Even this the management have been quick to cut down on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

Lots of curtain-twitchers getting things off their chest..

As a former Chairman of the Co-Owners Committee, I'll throw my 2 cents worth into the discussion..

Before getting upset about obeying or disregarding "rules" you have to check if they are real rules or "vapour-rules"...

All Condominiums in Thailand have to follow a document called "Articles of Association". The document is identical for every Condominium building, with the exception of the portion devoted to the voting percentage of each condo.

Of the complaints listed above, only the rule about leaving articles in the common hallway is noted in the Articles of Association. The rules noting dogs, beer at the pool, playing with a ball etc are not mentioned. If the Co-Owners Committee have not voted on a supplementary By-law, which must be approved by the Land Office, that's not a rule, that's a bluff..

No By-law, no rule.

Not strictly true, whilst each Condos Articles of Association will broadly contain all clauses that are contained in the Condominium Act, many condos also insert provisions directly and uniquely for the management of their Condominium.

• Like 1