Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

Think YOU should get over saying we are all annoyed about it … A few loony liberals might be but rest don’t give it a second thought … Biggest concern is Double Pricing which should be voiced more …. Sticks and Stones … But suppose you are giving the TAT Tits a bit of respite “;0) 55555

7 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

do you actually know what a falang is? A Falang is the Thai word for the fruit we know as Guava.  A farang ( spelt with an R not an L ) is Thai for a white skinned foreigner. So please at the very least know what we are and cease calling yourself and other white foreigners Guava.

Well said. I am a bit sick and tired of uneducated westerners saying we are Falangs. They have heard it from Thai people who like most asian cultures have difficulty pronouncing 'R' they simply don't hear the sound 'rrrrr' and they pronounce the closest their cultural upbringing allows which is 'L'

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Excel said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the problem with much of the discussion in this thread...  Too many people are unknowing of the the true etymology of the word Farang, does it really make a difference. 

Then some people misinterpret its use which can range anywhere from innocently ignorant and harmless to down right derogatory depending on situation and intent. 

As far as the word ‘alien’ is concerned.. no it does not mean 'Extra-Terrestrial’ in the context of immigration documents... Alien simply means foreigner. 

Expand  

ET used to be a poster on here ????

Did Thai’s call him Farang or Alien ?? :giggle:

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Depends entirely on the tone and context like most use of language.

I am reminded of the movie "Rush Hour" where Chris Tucker goes into a pool hall greeting one man with, "what's up my nigga?".  Jackie Chan soon copies the greeting but finds a different reaction.

• Like 1

The word originally referred to the Franks, the major Germanic tribes in Europe and later came to refer to White in general. The word "Farang" is a cognate and originates from Old French: "franc".

I recall being called a farang on my frequent business trips to Pakistan (not in a derogatory way I dont think).

But language evolves and I suspect it now it just means "Whitey" in general.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paulikens said:

i regard it is a derogatory, same if i called all thais g**ks.  ill probably get banned for writing this now as well. which proves my point

Perhaps you are just a Mr. Angry......????..............................????

Never heard a farang calling a Thai anything other than Thai, or local, so your g**ks thing is nonsense......

1. Answer me this, do Thai folk from the deep south up to the far north, whether children, adults, male or female, of what ever background or employment use the word farang if it is required or in context to something...?

2. If they do, why would folk from ALL backgrounds, etc, use a derogatory term.. ?

2 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

Every time I’ve been called a farang it’s always had a derogatory and demeaning connotation; akin to a dumb animal. At best it’s used barely neutrally “hey look at that farang he must be rich.” It’s pretty unacceptable. 

No, it's just those old flip-flops you wear....????

22 minutes ago, transam said:

It worked on you...................????

Not really, you can tell when posting slows down, something controversial goes up. If it had worked I wouldn't have bypassed without reading.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DekDaeng said:

Or when it is shouted at you, or with a 'HEY, YOU!

Yes, has happened.

Anyone shouts 'hey' to me I usually shout back 'it's good for horses'. Or if they say 'hey farang' I answer yes banana  what do you want?

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

To the writer: "(Raised tone of voice) Hey you! You! Falang! You! Go home! I no like you." Now, how would you feel if someone said that to you? You'd feel insulted, I'm sure. Now do you understand? 

Once in twenty years? Next time I lose sleep over it, I'll let you know.

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

idk.  but in the west, Soon we will all only be "its' and thems".   

NO...pronouns will be banned, and only legal names will be tolerated.  If not knowing name, then a unisex letter 'X' may be allowed.  "X over there, is waiting for assistance.  Problem solves.

Just now, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Well Mr Cod Satrusayang, after 20 years here I do not know of anyone offended , except when it is called out by Thais ...Hey You Farang in a loud voice because the person calling is either drunk or someone who thinks they are important. 

Nor do I know anyone who was offended when called  "Hansum Man"  ????