Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

34 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

what annoys me is when someone on this forum without the context of the situation you’ve described uses falang instead of farang. It tells me they either have no clue about the Thai language and have no desire to learn, they’re just trying to be cute, or both. 

It tells me they associate with prostitutes ................

Along with 'heart talk', never heard any Thai that isn't a hooker using heart talk.

Rule 1 of Thai language,

Never repeat the 'special words' used almost exclusively by Thai prostitutes ...............

Edited by BritManToo

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

same same, poom bpui, ting tong

Jai dee, kee neow, salop salai ............... 

Dop salopp salai.....   Now thats an absolute humdinger of bargirl-monger diction... !!!! 

I’m going to use that with the Wife and see what her reaction is !!!!..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Khun and lung show respect, frang shows lack of respect. 

maybe you mean 'khon' whic they use with Japanese/Chinese and other Asian nationalities. In fact Thias use 'mun' with farang. listen to this kid, who is now an MP. The kids tell it like it is. 

That is an interesting YouTube vid, thanks.

In my broken Thai I know khon Jin, khon Yeepun and khon Kaolie. I was thinking since they call me "Khun Monday" aould they not address in Thinglish "Khun Farang"?  when my name is not specified or known.

I was taught mun is impolite.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Nkpjed said:

As I stated in my post, it is pronounced that way by many Thais. But that doesn’t change the fact that the word has an “r” sound and not an “l” (the Thai word is “ฝรั่ง” not “ฝลั่ง”). So if you’re going to transliterate it, you should do it correctly.

No I will pronounce it the same way I heard everybody pronounce it 25 years ago. (here, Pattaya and Bangkok) 

However I will make a point of advising all non-conforming Thais that they'd better start shaping up or else.

Even more annoying than your pronunciation is "ferrang". 

Yyou have not been in Thailand that long ,i neverheard the word farang during the two years i worked here. Expats were described by thier nationalites like khon angrit, khon american etc,

We made an effort to learn Tha1 , and mixed freely with them. We ate Thai food and dressed  decenly,we did not get iny fights or trouble, we were respected and kiked by all Thais

Returning to Tthailand several years later i heard the word farang used ro describe new expats they were a whole different breed from when i  was here last.

Their behavior and appearance caused the Thais to label them as farangs.and lose respect for them.

So naturally I am offended if any one calls me a farang being put in the same class as a  farang whin includes a lot of undesrable types.

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2022 at 4:11 AM, Neeranam said:

There is indeed a prejudice of farang in Thailand. 

If you can't speak fluent Thai, it's impossible to understand the finer nuances of the culture. 

Ask your Thai spouse/partrner if Thais call farang 'mun'(it) and they will probably tell you 'no' just to shut you up. I've done  a lot of research in this area and trusted Thai friends tell me they do indeed use 'mun'. I've also heard it when they didn't think I heard or understood. 

Thank you for sharing this clip.  Whilst the forum attendees were likely to have been specially selected, and perhaps tutored, it was refreshing to hear their comments and noteworthy, to my mind, that these youngsters appear to have a good grasp of global and national issues, with the confidence to give their opinion in good English, unlike most of their peers in the modern age.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

That is an interesting YouTube vid, thanks.

In my broken Thai I know khon Jin, khon Yeepun and khon Kaolie. I was thinking since they call me "Khun Monday" aould they not address in Thinglish "Khun Farang"?  when my name is not specified or known.

I was taught mun is impolite.

Try EEE while addressing anyone. ????

On 4/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, overherebc said:

????. The whole concept is strange. 

I was very surprised when I went to visit a friend who stayed on in the army after I left (the army ). He stayed on as a drill-pig, ie one of the nco's  in basic training. He was telling me that it's no longer permitted to even swear at new recruits. It seems they can complain if they're sworn at. 

The mind boggles.

Is he allowed to make them sweat, or are forced marches also banned?  What use of live amunition on exercises?

And is competition allowed or are all grunts supposed to get killed at teh same time?

6 hours ago, gamini said:

Yyou have not been in Thailand that long ,i neverheard the word farang during the two years i worked here. Expats were described by thier nationalites like khon angrit, khon american etc,

We made an effort to learn Tha1 , and mixed freely with them. We ate Thai food and dressed  decenly,we did not get iny fights or trouble, we were respected and kiked by all Thais

Returning to Tthailand several years later i heard the word farang used ro describe new expats they were a whole different breed from when i  was here last.

Their behavior and appearance caused the Thais to label them as farangs.and lose respect for them.

So naturally I am offended if any one calls me a farang being put in the same class as a  farang whin includes a lot of undesrable types.

When I was young, some 55 years ago, we lived on a soi off the road leading to the That Luang in Vientiane.  There were very few foreigners around in those days.  When my siblings or I walked through a village the local children would gather in groups, hide and then dance around us singing "farang dang boh"  (not sure of the transliteration but basically foreigner with long nose) and then dash away.  We were not put out.  Just as the Meo were not put out when we called them that - in fact the invitation to their new year festivities in the mountains by HE Touby Lyfung and Mrs and General and Mrs Vang Pao, refers to the event as the new year of the Meos peoples.

If you get upset, my recommendation is chai yen yen krap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thaibook said:

Is he allowed to make them sweat, or are forced marches also banned?  What use of live amunition on exercises?

And is competition allowed or are all grunts supposed to get killed at teh same time?

You're making silly points for some reason. Basic training remains as basic training.

All I said was 'bad language' is not now allowed

On 4/21/2022 at 9:00 AM, webfact said:

Well if you’ve ever spent much time in the United States and you’re from Asia (less so in Europe admittedly), be prepared to be grouped much more offensively than Thais calling westerners Farang.

Sounds like no one ever taught the author that two wrongs don't make a right.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It tells me they associate with prostitutes ................

Along with 'heart talk', never heard any Thai that isn't a hooker using heart talk.

Rule 1 of Thai language,

Never repeat the 'special words' used almost exclusively by Thai prostitutes ...............

falang, farang give me a break. You and 99% of all older men come to Thailand for only one thing. 

Whether it is in a bar or in the sticks.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly this.... 

Its easy to spot the guys who’ve been hanging around with hookers when they are using their pidgin Thai with pride while those around them cringe !

It's even more amusing when they start speaking Pidgin English the same way !!

Especially when they're talking to other expats. ????

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, thaibook said:

When my siblings or I walked through a village the local children would gather in groups, hide and then dance around us singing "farang dang boh"  (not sure of the transliteration but basically foreigner with long nose)

Thanks for sharing that, one funny reply would be 'dtung maeb' or 'dtang boeng', basically meaning flat/wide nose in Isarn/Lao language.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:11 AM, seajae said:

being called a farang doesnt bother me at all but the way it is said by some can be very agressive and demeaning, its all in the way it is used, not the word itself

What did you do to get such an aggressive and demeaning reaction? 

15 years and no thai has ever insulted me. Look inwards my friend and wipe the scowl off your face. 

Newton said it best... Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.. 

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Say Khun Thai about 10 times in a sentence and see the reaction from Thais...it isn't good

Same as saying Dek Noi many times as well....they do not like it and the implications....

Edited by ThailandRyan

On 4/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, gamini said:

What utter nonsense.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:
On 4/23/2022 at 9:03 AM, gamini said:

What utter nonsense.

Agreed.... Clearly this guy is living in a completely different reality where he believes he is from a ‘respectable generation’....   An absolute utter delusion... 

I do believe the part about ‘mix well and behave well’ and you’ll be treated with respect - that is so anywhere. 

But the comments about ‘back if my day......’.... are just hilarious !!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I still have to meet the first foreigner who is offended by the word farang, after living here a decade. Perhaps this comes from cancel culture 20 year old backpackers?

I am offended by it in certain circumstances. 

IF people who know me are talking about me or to me and refer to me as ‘farang’ I find that offensive. 

IF my in-laws at dinner said, “does the Farang want rice?”, I’d be offended. 

However, If my In-laws asked “Does Rick prefer Farang food or Thai food for dinner tonight?” I wouldn’t find offense in that, just a clumsy lack of ‘worldliness’.

There... you found someone. And if you were able to assimilate the comments and information on this thread so far you would find very many people of similar mind. 

Now... If kids run up to us in tesco’s and shout... ‘Hello farang’ thats kind of cute, but still somewhat clumsy and as society accepts this ‘branding’ and with that there are undertones of descriminatoin as was touched about when the thread meandered towards dual pricing.