Electric Vehicles in Thailand

I have one pedal driving on my PHEV and I absolutely love it, especially for town driving. You almost never need to touch your brakes, it comes to a complete stop by itself and you don’t need to have to worry about auto hold or activating the EPB (electronic parking brake). My criticism is that if you engage cruise control, the one pedal deactivates and you need to come to a complete stop in order to activate it again.

Apart from city driving, it’s also fantastic when you’re going downhill, for eg driving from CM to Lampang. Using one pedal, I hardly use the brakes and one pedal regenerates a ton of recharge for my battery when going downhill.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, macahoom said:

I have never experienced one pedal driving, but I don't like the sound of it.

I like to be in control of my car and I think one pedal driving would be a step too far for me. I don't even like adaptive cruise control. I like the old-fashioned, simple cruise control.

That said, maybe if I experienced one pedal, I would like it.

It's great, I'm loving it.  Took a while to get use to, and judge the distances of regen slowing to stopping.  Got it down to a science and make driving on a hilly, windy road a treat.

You're still in total control.

I don't think the brakes will need replacing till well over 100k or even 200k kms ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I have one pedal driving on my PHEV and I absolutely love it, especially for town driving. You almost never need to touch your brakes, it comes to a complete stop by itself and you don’t need to have to worry about auto hold or activating the EPB (electronic parking brake). My criticism is that if you engage cruise control, the one pedal deactivates and you need to come to a complete stop in order to activate it again.

Apart from city driving, it’s also fantastic when you’re going downhill, for eg driving from CM to Lampang. Using one pedal, I hardly use the brakes and one pedal regenerates a ton of recharge for my battery when going downhill.

Sounds like my ol' mum's sewing machine, one foot did the job...????

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's great, I'm loving it.  Took a while to get use to, and judge the distances of regen slowing to stopping.  Got it down to a science and make driving on a hilly, windy road a treat.

You're still in total control.

I don't think the brakes will need replacing till well over 100k or even 200k kms ????

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying your ZS EV has one pedal driving?

I'm surprised to hear this.

Edit: I've just Googled and I'm pretty sure it doesn't. There is some guy in Australia who hacked his ZS and made it one pedal. That's not you, is it?

Edited by macahoom

6 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be saying your ZS EV has one pedal driving?

I'm surprised to hear this.

Yes, with 3 settings of regen.  I leave it on the highest (3), and when in Nan, made a huge difference, as some quite steep hills.  At one point, I wasn't 'using' any energy that wasn't being totally replaced.

That's some pretty techie stuff.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, with 3 settings of regen.  I leave it on the highest (3), and when in Nan, made a huge difference, as some quite steep hills.  At one point, I wasn't 'using' any energy that wasn't being totally replaced.

I don't believe you have one pedal driving. See my edit above.

You have 3 levels of regen just like my older ZS.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that’s not one pedal, it’s 3 levels of regen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that’s not one pedal, it’s 3 levels of regen.

OK ... how about 1 foot driving, until coming to a complete stop, then have to use other pedal, unless in cruise control.  

Then it's just tap the accelerator, to disengage break and away you go.  Then don't need to touch either pedal till next stop, to get going again.

Too boring though ????

• Haha 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Only one foot, that that explains how she dropped you on your head as a baby

Nooo, she did sewing as a hobby, when I was a baby she could not use the machine of the era because it needed two feet and two hands to operate, but, as with electric cars, she later got an electric sewing machine, just needed one foot to totally operate the machine.....It's called progress.

See, "you" learn something every day........????

Electric Viking is suggesting that we should be comparing the performance Seal 3.8sec to the Tesla Model 3 LR with performance boost 3.9sec and LR RWD Seal 5.9sec to the RWD Tesla model 3 6.1sec

I think he has a point.

Price difference between a LR RWD Seal and a std range Tesla model 3 in white would cost an extra ฿364,000

Acceleration Boost update costs $2,000 ฿73,000

Price difference between a AWD Seal and a LR Tesla model 3 with PB in white would cost an extra ฿522,000

Is it worth it?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So the ZS 'stops short' of being a true one pedal drive, since it doesn't auto stop.  Along with not as strong regen as those that are 'one pedal' driving.  

Watching YT vid, and a link explained the difference.  MG having the 'auto hold' that needs to be engaged separately, for the stopping thingy.  Got it ????

So we're just 'one foot' drivers ... the shame ????

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So the ZS 'stops short' of being a true one pedal drive, since it doesn't auto stop.  Along with not as strong regen as those that are 'one pedal' driving.  

Watching YT vid, and a link explained the difference.  MG having the 'auto hold' that needs to be engaged separately, for the stopping thingy.  Got it ????

So we're just 'one foot' drivers ... the shame ????

Yes, the difference imo is one pedal is a stronger regen that brings the car to a full stop and means in theory you should never need to touch the brake.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Tesla considering EV factory in Thailand, reports prime minister after meeting with Elon Musk

“Tesla is reportedly considering building an electric vehicle factory in Thailand, according to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin after meeting with Elon Musk.

Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk met with Thai Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to discuss several topics.”

https://electrek.co/2023/09/25/tesla-ev-factory-thailand-prime-minister-elon-musk/

One has to wonder, what happened during earlier talks that dissuaded Telsa from not committing to a plant in TH.

Seemed quite interested last year or so, when first announced talks were going on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, the difference imo is one pedal is a stronger regen that brings the car to a full stop and means in theory you should never need to touch the brake.

Good theory, but the designers must have never driven in TH ????

I can't even get away with that in cruise control on the highway, though more tapping the accelerator than brakes, so not to get stuck behind slow traffic as line of people pass.  It's a challenge driving the speed limit here.

Easier to speed up, than be courteous and let people pass.  If they're all tailgating each other, then sadly, I just think ... 'screw 'em, they'll just have to wait' ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Good theory, but the designers must have never driven in TH ????

I can't even get away with that in cruise control on the highway, though more tapping the accelerator than brakes, so not to get stuck behind slow traffic as line of people pass.  It's a challenge driving the speed limit here.

Easier to speed up, than be courteous and let people pass.  If they're all tailgating each other, then sadly, I just think ... 'screw 'em, they'll just have to wait' ????

Yes, it is only a theory, on the highway my favourite is leaving a reasonable stopping distance only for someone to slip into the gap as if you created it for them and then braking sharply !!

Sometimes I consider driving in the left hand lane as it is empty due to the uneven surface caused by trucks but then a couple of pickups, doing slalom practice, come along pumping out black smoke and I forget the idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I have to admit I find very little that that bloke says of value - he is trying to make a living on YT so he has to get clicks.......... and of course he is closet Teslafanboy, his denials notwithstanding!

I agree he is biased, most YT'ers are.  Also, pricing makes a big difference, if the Seal cost the same as the Tesla then maybe I would agree with him, but Tesla is price gouging in Thailand (currently).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The MG4 has one pedal driving on the next release of software, they already have it in the UK.  I would be surprised if the level of regen is increased over the current 25%, it already has significant deceleration on KERS 3 and I don't think it would be comfortable with a higher regen (it may also be dangerous if you're close to the limit on a bend as it shifts the center of gravity forward).  I suspect it will bring the brakes in from something like 8 KmHr to bring the car to a stop.

Yes, I'm kind of happy with the system now, and not sure if I'd be comfy with it kickin' in any harder than it does, as still a smooth ride.  Nothing like if you over downshifted manual gears.  As pointed out, spook an inexperienced driver here, with bad results.   Not to mention, a few more rear end collisions, considering the way some folks tailgate here.

At Tesla's price point, I'm surprised they sell as many as they do.  Must be the 'Tesla status' thingy.  Quite happy with the ZS at damn near 1/2 price.  Already more car than I need.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

The MG4 has one pedal driving on the next release of software, they already have it in the UK.  I would be surprised if the level of regen is increased over the current 25%, it already has significant deceleration on KERS 3 and I don't think it would be comfortable with a higher regen (it may also be dangerous if you're close to the limit on a bend as it shifts the center of gravity forward).  I suspect it will bring the brakes in from something like 8 KmHr to bring the car to a stop.

That could well be true, it might not be stronger but as it brings you to a full stop it gives the impression.

Or the regen modes are not as strong on my HEV and one pedal is stronger.

I did start off on the lowest regen level ( being a regen noobie ), skipped the mid level and went straight to high, saw a definite increase in strength and then went one pedal, felt an increase in strength but could be as I said above.

I might go back to high regen at some point to see if i can determine any change in strength or is it just length of braking.

I did try to Google the difference between regen and one pedal but there’s a lot of different explanations , one stated that one pedal only uses 20% of braking power but didn’t relate to any car in particular.

My manual gives an explanation but no percentages.

I can't say where I would prefer one pedal driving as I've never tried it.

When I first drove the MG4 I was resetting regen to the lowest setting at every start and then I thought it was too much hassle so I just left it the default maximum as I started the car, now I prefer it at maximum.  Once you get the hang of it, you are hardly using the brakes, if I release the accelerator too early, I just let the car creep the last few metres, but mostly it's muscle memory and I seem to get it right most of the time.

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I have to admit I find very little that that bloke says of value - he is trying to make a living on YT so he has to get clicks.......... and of course he is closet Teslafanboy, his denials notwithstanding!

No argument there, but he does post about Thailand quite a bit  - just adding to the discussion 

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Elon Musk has consistently shown that he makes snap decisions on emotion.  His Zoom meeting with Twitter senior managers where when anyone who questioned him, he responded "You're Fired".  His public spat with the owner of the monopoly owner of LIDAR at the time where they refused to meet his price, how he responded to criticism of his submarine. In the LIDAR case he was so annoyed he now champions vision-based systems and tries to argue very publicly against LIDAR yet the experts say LIDAR would stop his cars from running into objects on test.

I think this is why he doesn't already have a factory here, he felt slighted on his last trip to Chiang Rai and it will have to be a significantly advantageous business case and lots of ego smoothing worshiping for him to open here.

Reducing the price of his cars would make a big difference, I think Tesla sales are going to stall here, the Seal is a much better proposition, not least because the Model 3 cabin is cheap & cheerful and doesn't have a premium feel.

I am less keen on buying the Tesla Model 3 LR and adding the performance boost, I don't see it as affecting the 2nd hand value at all, I think buying Performance Boost is going to have 100% depreciation.  You have to be very careful on expensive extras.  Also, Tesla's Full Self Driving won't work properly in Thailand, most roads are far too dirty for it to pick up on markings.

100% agreed

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

No argument there, but he does post about Thailand quite a bit  - just adding to the discussion 

Yes, his wife developed cancer and he came here for quite a while for treatment, asked for donations and his subscribers helped him out quickly.

Initially I didn’t like the guy but now I watch him occasionally, he certainly gets the latest news quickly …. but doesn’t always get it right.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1