Electric Vehicles in Thailand

55 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I will be DeadExpatOilWorker by then 😁

I think you are right about your Atto 3, just don't take the IP67 rating for granted, just because the manual says so.

Your wish for a flooded Atto 3 is my command. 

1711054822273.jpg.f186cc8b47363e7e557a0d7958699a39.jpg

1711054825581.jpg.08987479ac06292055a199ea4e3f976c.jpg

IP ratings are usually done with distilled water too - real condition water with sand and dirt in them could blast through seals and whatnot 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Pib said:

The posted pictures seem to be those of when the owner moved the car to a higher location (i.e.,a low level of flooding).  The posted pictures could mislead people into thinking a low water level shown in the pictures damaged the battery.   

I wonder how deep the water level was where the car actually got flooded....that is, the location "before" the owner moved the car higher ground.  Was it half way up the wheels, etc?   

Heck, I've drove thru water as deep as shown in the pictures  for around a kilometer on Rama II Road (part under construction) in Samut Sakhom province last November.  It was not planned....rain storm came quickly...road construction had clogged-up the road drainage pipes...nowhere to get off the multilane highway....the road turned into a traffic jam of thousands of cars slowing moving thru water approx 150mm deep for around a kilometer.  The ground clearage of an Atto 3 is 175mm compared to a 145mm for a Seal.

image.png.bb37b5b1cbf9f5da659f8a9b91f86d8c.png

Edited by mistral53

57 minutes ago, digbeth said:

IP ratings are usually done with distilled water too - real condition water with sand and dirt in them could blast through seals and whatnot 

A small city of micro biology might also enter with the Bangkok flood water 💧

c73d2179351880774533def312623a4a.jpg

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

@KhunLA

This might interest you 2023 MG ZS EV

initial diagnosis full battery replacement not covered by warranty at cost of £22K

Resolution

Cause of damage - Water ingress

The lease company have now admitted that the technicians at the garage are not at the required level to determine if the whole battery needs replacing. Apparently this was not known at the time when sending me the £22K bill
Diagnosis - damage to HVM module (located within the battery pack) and corrosion to low voltage connector and wiring.

Repair - Replacement HVM module, repair to corroded wiring and pins in the low voltage connector.

as far as I can make out full battery replacement not required 

No additional cost to end user

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/flood-water-damage-resulting-in-full-battery-replacement.16373/

Oh dear, reads like passing the buck, when we all thought the battery was in a SEALED environment, they seem to be saying, it is not.......😱

Obviously not in a SEALED waterproof environment...😱

But, you buy cheap, you get cheap, until it comes to fixing it....22,000 quid to fix a cheap Chinese MG........😱

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh dear, reads like passing the buck, when we all thought the battery was in a SEALED environment, they seem to be saying, it is not.......😱

Obviously not in a SEALED waterproof environment...😱

But, you buy cheap, you get cheap, until it comes to fixing it....22,000 quid to fix a cheap Chinese MG........😱

MG ZS EV is not cheap in the UK prices start from £31,000 or B1,5 million at the moment you could buy 2 MG ZS EV here in Thailand and still have B50,000 left in your pocket

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

MG ZS EV is not cheap in the UK prices start from £31,000 or B1,5 million at the moment you could buy 2 MG ZS EV here in Thailand and still have B50,000 left in your pocket

Probably because they think they are buying British.....31,000 quid, Blimey.....😱

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

When thinking about the UK, I remember driving through deep snow, the snow getting caked everywhere, which has to melt.......hmmmm.

Thankfully no snow here, but plenty of water to deal with....:whistling:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

A small city of micro biology might also enter with the Bangkok flood water 💧

c73d2179351880774533def312623a4a.jpg

Are those Thai desserts?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

@KhunLA

initial diagnosis full battery replacement not covered by warranty at cost of £22K

Resolution

The lease company have now admitted that the technicians at the garage are not at the required level to determine if the whole battery needs replacing. Apparently this was not known at the time when sending me the £22K bill
Diagnosis - damage to HVM module (located within the battery pack) and corrosion to low voltage connector and wiring.

Repair - Replacement HVM module, repair to corroded wiring and pins in the low voltage connector.

https://www.mgevs.com/threads/flood-water-damage-resulting-in-full-battery-replacement.16373/

There's an interesting post in that thread from a guy who says he's an engineer (presume electrical):

After seeing the images I wonder if MG can explain how only 1 single connector is damaged by 'the flood damage'. The abs sensors, the dc connectors, the battery heater connector, the master service disconnect plug are all fine! Seems to me like the seal on the battery low voltage connector was damaged at installation and the corrosion has taken this long to break a connection. The connectors are all facing forwards which is a stupid design meaning all the water thrown up while driving hits the connectors. As an engineer I can't see how driving through deep water could cause this damage, the only way this connector could corrode is if water has seeped in and stayed there over a period of time. On the basis that these low voltage connectors are used under a vehicle they should be rated at IP66 at minimum meaning they should be protected against water being projected in powerful jets - car wash, jet wash etc. I think they are using the 'sitting in flood water' as being immersed in water requires a higher IP rating.

His point on all the other sensors is a good one. Also about the design of the connectors facing forwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I will be DeadExpatOilWorker by then 😁

I think you are right about your Atto 3, just don't take the IP67 rating for granted, just because the manual says so.

Your wish for a flooded Atto 3 is my command. 

1711054822273.jpg.f186cc8b47363e7e557a0d7958699a39.jpg

1711054825581.jpg.08987479ac06292055a199ea4e3f976c.jpg

Ah, but was the car driveable after this?

Don't forget that the Atto has V2L so you can just plug in the wife's hairdryer and you're home and dry in no time!

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

This looks fun. EV owners live a much more exciting live than the rest of us.

Yes - as I've previously commented (back on page 3,604 of this thread) one of the biggest negatives to an EV in Thailand is that public chargers always seem to be in the open. If they can't be ar5ed to provide a roof for customers, they should at least provide a Burmese pump attendant to do all the work for you, as when you fill up with petrol/diesel.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Yes - as I've previously commented (back on page 3,604 of this thread) one of the biggest negatives to an EV in Thailand is that public chargers always seem to be in the open. If they can't be ar5ed to provide a roof for customers, they should at least provide a Burmese pump attendant to do all the work for you, as when you fill up with petrol/diesel.

The Burmese worker is reserved for the black gold and shelter is already provided for 😊 😃

If you want a caramel macchiato with vanilla sweet cream cold foam you have to leave the beloved EV and go to Amazon. 

FB_IMG_1717981893387.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Burmese worker is reserved for the black gold and shelter is already provided for 😊 😃

If you want a caramel macchiato with vanilla sweet cream cold foam you have to leave the beloved EV and go to Amazon. 

FB_IMG_1717981893387.jpg

"If you want a caramel macchiato with vanilla sweet cream cold foam you have to leave the beloved EV and go to Amazon" - it appears you can get all the stimulation needed by hugging a wet metal cabinet containing DC high voltage gubbins, so coffee is redundant. Also, Amazon coffee is 5hite. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

"If you want a caramel macchiato with vanilla sweet cream cold foam you have to leave the beloved EV and go to Amazon" - it appears you can get all the stimulation needed by hugging a wet metal cabinet containing DC high voltage gubbins, so coffee is redundant. Also, Amazon coffee is 5hite. 

You drink 5hite?

18 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Welcome to the thread BB9. Your humor and common sense is most welcome here, even more so since you are an EV owner.

Since @Pib already has opened the morning with humor, let's celebrate ur arrival with an EV fire 🔥 involving a lot of electricity and a vehicle, but no EV.

35 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Welcome to the thread BB9. Your humor and common sense is most welcome here, even more so since you are an EV owner.

Since @Pib already has opened the morning with humor, let's celebrate ur arrival with an EV fire 🔥 involving a lot of electricity and a vehicle, but no EV.

You're confused. This is the "Electric Vehicles in Thailand" thread, and humor and common sense are absolutely not welcome here! 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/9/2024 at 6:21 PM, vinny41 said:

@KhunLA

Resolution

I wouldn't repair any vehicle for £22k / ฿1M, especially since over 8 yrs old.  That takes a special kind of stupid.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I wouldn't repair any vehicle for £22k / ฿1M, especially since over 8 yrs old.  That takes a special kind of stupid.

How about a 1937 Cord 812 Convertible? 

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't know where you get the over 8 years old the car in question was a 2023 MG ZS EV

and the final repair cost was zero to the car driver since it went from not covered by warranty to being covered by warranty

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I don't know where you get the over 8 years old the car in question was a 2023 MG ZS EV

and the final repair cost was zero to the car driver since it went from not covered by warranty to being covered by warranty

The point of pointing out the £22k was ?

or the whole post for that matter ?

Not sure why that would interest me.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The point of pointing out the £22k was ?

or the whole post for that matter ?

Not sure why that would interest me.

Clearly you didn't bother to read the link or you would have understood the article you might be in the same position in the future

• Like 1