Electric Vehicles in Thailand

3 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

since I live in a condo with no home charging , phev might be preferable over an ev . With sea lion 6 previous , another to decide .

One day you or actually your EV, may be denied entry to your building ️ 🫸. 

From the situation that occurred, Many office buildings have announced that electric vehicles are prohibited from entering and parking, and electric vehicle owners are advised to be careful when charging their cars.

The recent electric vehicle fire incident in South Korea has sparked widespread discussion and concern about the safety of electric vehicle parking, especially in high-rise residential buildings. Most of the electric vehicle charging stations are located in the underground garage of the building, which if a fire breaks out, it will endanger both property and people's lives.

https://www.bangkokbiznews.com/world/1139505

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

No I don't , I thought someone on this forum might have since MG did apply the "lifetime warranty" to existing owners of certain models

i am aware that Nissan USA is having problems sourcing some EV batteries where owners are being advised that they may need to wait for up to 12 months while Nissan tries to obtain the battery or Nissan has offered buyback offers which seem to be very generous where the buyback offer has been higher than the original net payment paid by the owner

Unless it is written with crayons 🖍 😏,  I don't think we can expect any useful information from here.

The rest of us mortals rely on you and your unstoppable data mining skills.

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

@vinny41, do you have the details, terms & conditions of the "lifetime" battery guarantee MG announced last month?

According to info on MG's website the "lifetime" warranty covers the specified components of the vehicle no matter how far it has been driven. It also applies to the vehicle's subsequent owners, not just the original owner (unlike many "lifetime" warranties).

The highlight of the warranty is its unlimited mileage coverage and also the lifetime warranty is not limited to the car’s first owner.

MG announces an extended lifetime warranty for High-Voltage Battery, Electric Drive Unit, and Power Electronic Bloc

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to info on MG's website the "lifetime" warranty covers the specified components of the vehicle no matter how far it has been driven. It also applies to the vehicle's subsequent owners, not just the original owner (unlike many "lifetime" warranties).

MG announces an extended lifetime warranty for High-Voltage Battery, Electric Drive Unit, and Power Electronic Bloc

Thanks, but still a bit thin on terms and conditions. 

Surely there must be a depreciating SOC on the battery warranty, or they only guarantee that there is still a battery hanging on to the car.

The drive train will also not last forever, as we saw from the 14 motors the million miles Tesla S went through.

Muddy waters from MG and China 🇨🇳

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Thanks, but still a bit thin on terms and conditions. 

Surely there must be a depreciating SOC on the battery warranty, or they only guarantee that there is still a battery hanging on to the car.

The drive train will also not last forever, as we saw from the 14 motors the million miles Tesla S went through.

Muddy waters from MG and China 🇨🇳

There will be a terms and conditions revision.

I see no problem with long battery warranty periods but they will need to include degradation clauses. A second hand car salesmen in the future might say this car has active lifetime warranty but it will only take you to the local 7 and back on a full charge.

I am off to Bangkok with the BIL this week, we might visit the MG mothership to ask about manufacturers warranty terms and conditions.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Please place me on your ignore list.

Think you'd better place me on yours.  As I only have 2 on that list.  

You might actually post something of value, and I'd hate to miss it.  I've gotten good at ignoring 'people'.   Did take a lot of will power.

Besides, some are good for comic relief every now & then.  As this was, hence the chuckle you have :coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

On 8/10/2024 at 4:31 PM, JBChiangRai said:

I could live with the battery being NMC but right now I don't have any confidence in the pricing over the next 12 months or so.

I suspect lack of confidence re pricing is going to deter more than a few potential buyers. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I suspect lack of confidence re pricing is going to deter more than a few potential buyers. 

Yeah, if there's one thing planet-savers will not tolerate, it's having to pay retail...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Meanwhile, in a newly-created parking lot just off Highway 7 near Bang Phra, several thousand vehicles await their new owners ... I was told by a local that they are Neta EV although scooting past in the car and then later from the air I couldn't tell. I'll take a closer look next time I'm down that way.

I thought I could see @ExpatOilWorker with pen and clipboard taking notes, but that was also hard to tell ...

image.jpeg.75d2bb0e363b7c755675bbbbad4422f2.jpeg

image.jpeg.fdf88cd7ca260b9dc0b438927c9180d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.eba14e8828cbfbce5f9b1b5dd1c5dbbc.jpeg

Nice pictures and have a good trip. I see 1,740 cars 🚗,  so get ready for the next round of Neta discounts.

How did you spot me, I was wearing my best EV train-spotter disguise 🥸?

61TGfufxpGL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Meanwhile, in a newly-created parking lot just off Highway 7 near Bang Phra, several thousand vehicles await their new owners ... I was told by a local that they are Neta EV although scooting past in the car and then later from the air I couldn't tell. I'll take a closer look next time I'm down that way.

I thought I could see @ExpatOilWorker with pen and clipboard taking notes, but that was also hard to tell ...

image.jpeg.75d2bb0e363b7c755675bbbbad4422f2.jpeg

image.jpeg.fdf88cd7ca260b9dc0b438927c9180d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.eba14e8828cbfbce5f9b1b5dd1c5dbbc.jpeg

They look like Aion Y plus to me though hard to be sure.

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nice pictures and have a good trip. I see 1,740 cars 🚗,  so get ready for the next round of Neta discounts.

How did you spot me, I was wearing my best EV train-spotter disguise 🥸?

I don't wish to be pedantic but it's actually 1,741. Maybe some new glasses needed with the disguise 😉

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, matchar said:

They look like Aion Y plus to me though hard to be sure.

Yeah - hard to tell. Do seem to be a couple of different vehicle styles. I'll try and take a closer look when next down that way to see exactly what's been left to bake in the sun.

• Like 1

Neta S Hunting Edition Station Wagon with EV and Hybrid Range Extender options

Hybrid mode

The 1.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder petrol engine produces 94 horsepower and works with a 268 horsepower electric motor, with a 31.71 or 43.88 kWh battery capacity, depending on the model. The maximum EV range extender can travel 125 and 185 kilometers, respectively, in the Hybrid range extender.

EV 

For the all-electric version, the Neta is equipped with a 268-horsepower electric motor, similar to the Hybrid range extender, driving the rear wheels, while the top-of-the-range dual-motor version will have a 228-horsepower motor mounted to the front axle. The battery is said to be shared with the Neta S sedan, with a choice of 64.5 or 91 kWh.

https://www.headlightmag.com/2024-08-11-new-cars-worldwide-neta-s-hunting-edition/

launch date  China August 2024 have to wait and see if it appears in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I don't wish to be pedantic but it's actually 1,741. Maybe some new glasses needed with the disguise 😉

You also counted the Bimmer, but that is a honest mistake. It looks so modern, that it is easily mistaken for the latest high tech EV model.

• Haha 1

We are almost done with the Ciaz Registrations. This is part of the debate, mostly between @vinny41and @JBChiangRai, of the lag time between sales and registrations. 

The Ciaz promotion ran from March 1st to April 7th. There were zero "extra" registrations showing in the March numbers, but finally in July numbers are tapering off again. At least for this promotion we have a 3-4 month lag time between sales and registrations.

As @vinny41 already pointed out EV vendors have an incentive to complete the registration process faster, to cash in on the 150k government subsidy.

Screenshot_20240313_100719_Chrome.jpg.1730ffe6ab276bc791e0f1911ceff910.jpg

Screenshot_20240813_170042_Chart Maker.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We are almost done with the Ciaz Registrations. This is part of the debate, mostly between @vinny41and @JBChiangRai, of the lag time between sales and registrations. 

The Ciaz promotion ran from March 1st to April 7th. There were zero "extra" registrations showing in the March numbers, but finally in July numbers are tapering off again. At least for this promotion we have a 3-4 month lag time between sales and registrations.

As @vinny41 already pointed out EV vendors have an incentive to complete the registration process faster, to cash in on the 150k government subsidy.

Screenshot_20240313_100719_Chrome.jpg.1730ffe6ab276bc791e0f1911ceff910.jpg

Screenshot_20240813_170042_Chart Maker.jpg

I don't think the registration lag time is 3 to 4 months....more like 1 to 2 months.   I think the reason the Ciaz continued to show a lot of regristrations in June and even around twice its normal amount in July (which could imply a 3 to 4 month registration lag time) is simply because the Ciaz is still on sale today/mid August for as low as Bt378K just like during ints 1 Mar-7 Apr promotion.  It's like the promotion just continued on...got exteneded...typical of the cut throat pricing that's being going on for the last 8 months or so for EVs "and ICEVs like the Ciaz." 

Snapshot from Suzuki web site as of 13 Aug 2024

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/ciaz

image.png.c6fd478e915378c8d4d3592748c14d77.png

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 8:25 PM, Pib said:

Above was a cut & paste from the DLT registration stats for July  and June for the R.Y.1 caegory.

Below is a cut and paste from below car250 website providing its version of June and July registration BEV stats but it does not say if it's for the R.Y.1 category only or they have included some numbers from some other categoaries also.  The car250.com snapshot shows registration numbers that are a little higher than the DLT R.Y.1 stats so I must assume the car250.com charts include another category or two other than just category R.Y.1.

https://www.car250.com/ev-th-07-2567-1.html

1st chart is for June....2nd chart is for July.

image.png.608f153bf7ef6758fa2b1332beff5c04.png

Very strange!

Car250 and autolife had the same number of EV registrations in June, but in July autolife just reported 5,786 vs. Car250's 5.473.

That is an unusual big difference.  Very odd.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-register-july-2024-thailand

Screenshot_20240813_184852_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

As I've mentioned before the autolife and car250 stats don't always match-up with DLT stats because they sometimes count BEV in categories other than RY1 when their article says they are only counting RY1 BEVs.     

Like in above autolife article/weblink they count 4 "Skywell" BEV for July in the RY1 BEV number when in fact the DLT lists the Skywell BEV in the RY3 cateogory, not the RY1 category, as shown in below DLT snapshot for July.

image.png.41a32cba2ca98256224b319d9da0d0a0.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Very strange!

Car250 and autolife had the same number of EV registrations in June, but in July autolife just reported 5,786 vs. Car250's 5.473.

That is an unusual big difference.  Very odd.

https://autolifethailand.tv/ev-register-july-2024-thailand

Screenshot_20240813_184852_Chrome.jpg

Total EV registrations for July according to the A. Combine vehicles according to the automobile law. was 8,270 

Remove R.Y.12 personal motorcycle numbers 2,411 and the total remaining is 5,859

Remove R.Y.3 personal truck numbers of 73 and the total remaining is 5,786

Here are the vehicle categories and they all have either ICE or EV vehicles

R.Y. 1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people
R.Y. 2 Private passenger cars with more than 7 people
R.Y. 4 personal three-wheeled vehicle
R.Y. 6 Vehicles for hire carrying no more than 7 passengers.
R.Y. 8 Three-wheeled rental car
R.Y. 9 Business service vehicles
R.Y. 10 Sightseeing service car
R.Y. 13 Tractor
R.Y. 17 Public Motorcycles

To get to the magic 5,786 number all of the above  vehicle categories are included 

The combined number of registrations for all of the above including EV's  is  50,458

The Market share of EV's registrations for July is 11.467%

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

I don't think the registration lag time is 3 to 4 months....more like 1 to 2 months.   I think the reason the Ciaz continued to show a lot of regristrations in June and even around twice its normal amount in July (which could imply a 3 to 4 month registration lag time) is simply because the Ciaz is still on sale today/mid August for as low as Bt378K just like during ints 1 Mar-7 Apr promotion.  It's like the promotion just continued on...got exteneded...typical of the cut throat pricing that's being going on for the last 8 months or so for EVs "and ICEVs like the Ciaz." 

Snapshot from Suzuki web site as of 13 Aug 2024

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/ciaz

image.png.c6fd478e915378c8d4d3592748c14d77.png

Well spotted and thanks for sharing. That is seriously good value for money.

Suzuki is leaving a legacy and it is sad to see them 😢 go.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Total EV registrations for July according to the A. Combine vehicles according to the automobile law. was 8,270 

Remove R.Y.12 personal motorcycle numbers 2,411 and the total remaining is 5,859

R.Y. 13 Tractor

To get to the magic 5,786 number all of the above  vehicle categories are included 

The combined number of registrations for all of the above including EV's  is  50,458

I think you have finally solved the EV registration riddle and it is slightly annoying that autolife has been mixing categories.

How hard would it be to dig out EV and total registrations just for R.Y.1 for every month, starting January  2022?

If we have the numbers, I will happily 😊 upgrade the chart, but if it is too much work, we just have to ignore the last decimal pint in the percentage chart. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

R.Y. 13 Tractor

It would be useful if you gave comparison "like for like" with the previous month so we can see where we are potentially heading.

49 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think you have finally solved the EV registration riddle and it is slightly annoying that autolife has been mixing categories.

How hard would it be to dig out EV and total registrations just for R.Y.1 for every month, starting January  2022?

If we have the numbers, I will happily 😊 upgrade the chart, but if it is too much work, we just have to ignore the last decimal pint in the percentage chart. 

I think using anything other than the government's registration statistics is fraught with risk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pib said:

I don't think the registration lag time is 3 to 4 months....more like 1 to 2 months

It’s definitely no where near 3 months.

We drove our new BYD Seal on red plates for only a couple of weeks. Clearly the people making these claims haven’t bought a new car in Thailand in recent years. 

“My 15 year old Vios is cheaper to run than your EV”

“My 20 year old Hilux will outlast me, so I’m not buying an EV”

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think using anything other than the government's registration statistics is fraught with risk.

Agreed, but how can people claim EV sales are falling if the official stats state otherwise? 

“The official government registration statistics were stolen wrong”

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

It’s definitely no where near 3 months.

We drove our new BYD Seal on red plates for only a couple of weeks. Clearly the people making these claims haven’t bought a new car in Thailand in recent years. 

“My 15 year old Vios is cheaper to run than your EV”

“My 20 year old Hilux will outlast me, so I’m not buying an EV”

Agreed, but how can people claim EV sales are falling if the official stats state otherwise? 

“The official government registration statistics were stolen wrong”

What is the source of these weird quotes? The voice in your head?