Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It would be useful if you gave comparison "like for like" with the previous month so we can see where we are potentially heading.

I think using anything other than the government's registration statistics is fraught with risk.

Autolife is using DLT registration numbers, they are just using the fine EV art 🎨 of cherry 🍒 farming, by adding EV from other categories against total registrations in the main R.Y.1 category. 

In 2157, when you are 200 years old and EV finally catches on, they will report 110% of registration are EVs.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Numbers, numbers, numbers ...

... just open your eyes :coffee1:

Wife had noted quite some time ago, I stopped pointed out EVs as they drove by.  There's so many now  ... so no longer hears ...

... Tesla

... another Atto 3

.. BYD

... Meow

... finally another ZS

... an orange MG4

... a blue MG4

... look a Neta V in front of us, and a Tesla behind us

If 0.45% EV registrations of all vehicles saturates your mind, expect a psychedelic trip the day we pass the magic 1% mark.

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think you have finally solved the EV registration riddle and it is slightly annoying that autolife has been mixing categories.

How hard would it be to dig out EV and total registrations just for R.Y.1 for every month, starting January  2022?

If we have the numbers, I will happily 😊 upgrade the chart, but if it is too much work, we just have to ignore the last decimal pint in the percentage chart. 

I repeated the same methodology for June

Total EV registrations for June   according to the A. Combine vehicles according to the automobile law. was 7,911

Remove R.Y.12 personal motorcycle numbers 2.090  and the total remaining is 5,821

Remove R.Y.3 personal truck numbers of 23 and the total remaining is 5,798

problem is that is 25 more than autolife June numbers of 5,773

now if I remove R.Y.8 Three-wheeled rental car 23

the difference between DLT and autolife is 2 

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I repeated the same methodology for June

Total EV registrations for June   according to the A. Combine vehicles according to the automobile law. was 7,911

Remove R.Y.12 personal motorcycle numbers 2.090  and the total remaining is 5,821

Remove R.Y.3 personal truck numbers of 23 and the total remaining is 5,798

problem is that is 25 more than autolife June numbers of 5,773

now if I remove R.Y.8 Three-wheeled rental car 23

the difference between DLT and autolife is 2 

Thanks Vinny.

A different of 20 vehicles will not make a difference in the EV percentage market share,  which is our best indicator.

As far as I know, it is only in July autolife was off by 300 cars, but I will send you the data set. If you spot any other abnormalities, I will update the chart.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

How very odd.  Why is this of such interest that you go through the performance of charts and stats.  Weird.  

It is either because I love ❤️ electric cars or I am a statistician with a keen interest in probability theory 🤔

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody here bought a Tesla? 

For me the decision was a pragmatic one:

A BYD Seal AWD Performance was cheaper than base model 3 in Thailand

I wanted a big battery of 80kWh+ and it had to be LFP which rules out Teslas

I wanted bi-directional charging which rules out Teslas

I wanted a dealership that wasn't 700km away which rules out Teslas

The main selling point for Teslas in EU and the USA is the supercharging network, which outside BKK is practically non existent.

And then there's Musk, does he influence your decision to consider a Tesla?

I used to think he was a bit strange but more recently .....

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

OK, so it’s wrong, just not as wrong as before.

Or the glaringly obvious you’re an EV troll

I'm a particle physicist and even I find this boring and that's saying something 

• Agree 1

On 7/29/2024 at 9:23 PM, Yellowtail said:

Replace exhaust systems, what is this, 1970? I have never had to replace a system, and the last time I had to change a muffler was in the early '80s.  

Yeah my cars never seem to have issues. Never!

With that said, I will be buying an electric car for my next car.  They just make too much economic sense at this point IMO and the gap is growing every year.  To have bought an electric car last year would have been a terrible investment as of today but if kept for 5-10 years it isn't an issue.  Many EV owners don't really seem concerned at losing  ~200k baht on paper.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Yeah my cars never seem to have issues. Never!

With that said, I will be buying an electric car for my next car.  They just make too much economic sense at this point IMO and the gap is growing every year.  To have bought an electric car last year would have been a terrible investment as of today but if kept for 5-10 years it isn't an issue.  Many EV owners don't really seem concerned at losing  ~200k baht on paper.

The best reason to buy a new car is because you want a new car.

The best reason to buy a new EV is because you want a new EV.

Buying a new vehicle to save money almost never pencils out. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I think you mean truth-seeker 😏, together with @vinny41 and @Pib, we welcome you to the Aladdin cave of factual EV data.

Well what about those that have little concern about appearance or love for ICE cars? 

I just want to get from point A to B in comfort in the cheapest manner.  Not a concern you share but you also much more money than this pauper. 

Do you think EV's can be the  best option for those that don't care if the car is ICE or an EV and just want the lowest cost per kilometer traveled?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, atpeace said:

Well what about those that have little concern about appearance or love for ICE cars? 

I just want to get from point A to B in comfort in the cheapest manner.  Not a concern you share but you also much more money than this pauper. 

Do you think EV's can be the  best option for those that don't care if the car is ICE or an EV and just want the lowest cost per kilometer traveled?

To many unknowns. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

The best reason to buy a new car is because you want a new car.

The best reason to buy a new EV is because you want a new EV.

Buying a new vehicle to save money almost never pencils out. 

Yep, I always buy used because cars for me are to serve a purpose.  Used cars serve that purpose at a cheaper cost. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

To many unknowns. 

Always unknowns but ultimately you have to pull the trigger.  It's all about probabilities of an outcome when it comes to my car purchases.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, atpeace said:

Yep, I always buy used because cars for me are to serve a purpose.  Used cars serve that purpose at a cheaper cost. 

Well, if you have a vehicle now, buying a new EV will likely not save you money. 

Do you have someplace to charge the EV at your home? 

Just now, atpeace said:

Always unknowns but ultimately you have to pull the trigger.  It's all about probabilities of an outcome when it comes to my car purchases.

I meant that you did not provide enough information to make a reasonable decision. 

I assume you know enough to determine what you should get. 

How much do you drive? 

8 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Agree 100%.  Never really was 'car person' myself, although I did have my favorites.

Most were simply practical purchases, to get from A to B, as comfy & economical as possible.

EV is and will be the only choice for myself, now that they produce quality at affordable prices.

Just common sense to me, and more than enough choices already for everyone's taste & budget.

If you've never test drove or leased one for a day so, then you really shouldn't comment negatively, as simply shows your ignorance.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I meant that you did not provide enough information to make a reasonable decision. 

I assume you know enough to determine what you should get. 

How much do you drive? 

7,000k a year which is why the cost comparison is closer.  If I was driving 15,000 like my wife's family that all now own EVs it would be larger.  Her sister's husband was spending around 25k (If I remeber right-50k one month last year) a month on gas! He bought a small EV SUV and is saving ~15k a month.  Lots of money for a middle class Thai.  Now they drive even more and act as if it is free which it kinda is 🙂

I'm the boring type of driver that is rarely in a hurry to get somewhere.  I do take long trips once or twice a year.  There are only two of us so no need for a big car. I would miss being able to throw-in construction items into the truck bed but a minor issue.

Edited by atpeace
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Until very recently, I would have brushed his antics aside - but his visit a few days ago to Capitol Hill during the visit of a certain war criminal has firmly put my decision against ever owning a Tesla. Nothing personal, just my wallet voting my conscious.

Yeah, Elon, once the darling of the left is now the devil incarnate!