NE policeman gets certificate and money after holding onto door of gas tanker that went through red light

webfact

37 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, in Australia and the rest of the world the driver would be locked up in jail. 

No wonder there's a big problem with driver behavior in Thailand. 

The police are not respected. 

A basket of goodies and all is forgotten. ????

but very expensive "GOODIES" !!!???

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Think what your instinctive reaction is when you're stood on a moving platform such as a train, bus or fairground ride. When it lurches you instinctively grab hold of something to steady yourself.

The policeman was stood up on the step when the truck driver took off. He would have reacted the same way and by the time he thought 'this isn't a good idea' it was too late to jump off. Well done Sgt Maj Mana for having on in there.

I hear what you are saying but there again a tanker does not accelerate like a car, in my opinion he should have jumped off as soon as it started to move 

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Personally I think this action was thoughtless and endangering of his own life, surely taking his number would have been safer ..............

Luckily it ended well and not in a chase. A gas tanker full of fuel or fumes?  Anyone remember the gas tanker explosion at Wireless/Phetburi Rd ? The police don,t.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There is absolutely no respect for the Police in Thailand and that is entirely a consequence of their own actions. 

Is it only the police where Thai people consider all rules, laws and regulations to be completely optional?  Or is there a very common attitude to following rules in Thailand that suggests it is related to more than simply the conduct of the police?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Personally I think this action was thoughtless and endangering of his own life, surely taking his number would have been safer ..............

They think they are in a movie. I remember I was at some kind of fair at night, the first thing that came out were the guns as they ran towards the disturbance .. really? You are going to start shooting in a crowded island concert. 

35 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Is it only the police where Thai people consider all rules, laws and regulations to be completely optional?  Or is there a very common attitude to following rules in Thailand that suggests it is related to more than simply the conduct of the police?

No. It is just the police. There are a dozen good reasons why they don't deserve much respect. 

• Like 2

Make this cop Chief of Traffic Enforcement for Thailand.

He takes the job seriously.

Only problem is there seems to be no penalty for the driver.

"Sorry my actions may have killed you.

Here's 100 Baht of junk food to make up for it".

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. It is just the police.

Those were rhetorical questions.  People may claim that the police are the cause of people not following the law, but the fact that Thai people choose so often not to follow many rules and regulations unrelated to the police, suggests that it is a bigger issue than simply the behaviour of the police.  There are cultural factors also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I hear what you are saying but there again a tanker does not accelerate like a car, in my opinion he should have jumped off as soon as it started to move 

With hindsight, he possibly feels the same way, but the initial instinct told him to do otherwise and he is, after all a copper with a job to do. Do we really want policeman who give up the moment it gets a bit difficult?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He climbed up to the cab but the driver took off again and drove for ten kilometers at 40-50 kmph insisting he wanted to sort out matters at the company.

I'm sure his boss will be happy.

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

On the contrary, a few thousand cops like him the roads would be safer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

With hindsight, he possibly feels the same way, but the initial instinct told him to do otherwise and he is, after all a copper with a job to do. Do we really want policeman who give up the moment it gets a bit difficult?

No we don't want them to give up the moment it gets a bit difficult but they should act responsibly, and as I stated previously taking the number of the tanker and notifying other police units so they could road block the tanker would have been much better do you not think ? After all a tanker is a little hard to conceal 

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

OMG, in Australia and the rest of the world the driver would be locked up in jail. 

No wonder there's a big problem with driver behavior in Thailand. 

The police are not respected. 

A basket of goodies and all is forgotten. ????

Brand's Essence of Chicken...undermining Thailand's law and order since forever.