British press support UK pensioners losing out in Thailand

webfact

UK people, what is the nature of these pensions? Are they like Social Security in America where a percent of your income is taxed each year and all people receive it or is a public sector pension for government employees like police, school teachers etc...?

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The full state pension is about 10 000 per year and the yearly tax free allowance is about 12 000 per year

tax free allowance is £12,500, and if claiming 10% of wife's allowance makes it £13,875, so,

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Your state pension can be higher than the allowance.

some 'old' state pensions are higher than the new 'fixed' pensions, but if they could be higher than £12.500 i don't think so but always willing to be corrected with links.

What makes it even worse is if you receive a pension paid by the UK Government and live outside the UK you are required to pay UK tax on the total income.  For state pension they class you as an overseas resident and freeze it from the date you left the UK. I have an MOD pension and an NHS pension and for these together with my state pension l am classed as a UK resident and pay 300 pounds a month tax. How they can get away with two Government departments that apply opposite ruling to the same person is a mystery, it was challenged in the UK courts a few years back and the Government won

• Like 2

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Could be worse, you could have to live in UK for 2 years prior to retirement, you could lose on a sliding scale upto 50% if you live abroad or you will not get paid after spending 180 days abroad.

I fear that could come about before too long.

10 minutes ago, steve187 said:

tax free allowance is £12,500, and if claiming 10% of wife's allowance makes it £13,875, so,

some 'old' state pensions are higher than the new 'fixed' pensions, but if they could be higher than £12.500 i don't think so but always willing to be corrected with links.

The Tax Personal Allowance rose by a massive £70 on 6th April last to £12,570.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

While you are essentially not wrong most people will have other occupational or private pensions and perhaps income from investments (house rent etc) which will push you over the limit,so yes you will pay tax on state pension. In my case such that I’m paying higher rate tax (40%) on it ! 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Funny thing is even if you are Married in Thailand the must have 400k in the bank, is less than a UK pension. 

I am married and live in Thailand and I don't have 400k in my bank. I take it you are referring to a Thai bank account?

I only keep enough money in my Thai bank to cover living expenses. Why should I trust a bank in a country which has an unelected soldiers government?

Money in a Thai bank was safe up to 5000000Bt, it was recently reduced to 1000000Bt. You can bet there was a reason for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

It's up to you to prove that you do, the first question they may ask is the name of your GP, that would be a good starting point for the NHS who are now required by law to check by that you are actually resident in the UK.

That's not strictly speaking true - or if it is it means little.

I go back to the UK every 9 months / year for full NHS checks up, blood works, etc , and get tables for the next 9-12 months. I'm usually only in the UK for 22 hours. Some conditions (according to my pharmacist - the head pharmacist in a certain Shire) are treated by the UK NHS no matter where you live and tablets issued by law.

I do keep a UK address though through my tenant.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

You don't know what the full state pension is, varies  enormously.

If I was getting the full amount it would  be just short of the current allowance of £12,700. During my working life I came across many earning a great deal more than i did, their pension will be much higher than mine.

The maximum UK State Pension is £185.15 per week x 52 = £9627.80.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

While you are essentially not wrong most people will have other occupational or private pensions and perhaps income from investments (house rent etc) which will push you over the limit,so yes you will pay tax on state pension. In my case such that I’m paying higher rate tax (40%) on it ! 

No, you will be paying tax on the private pension or investment income.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

the Personal Allowance is reduced by the total of the State Pension, thus ensuring, those with maybe an occupational pension, pay tax on their total pension income.

I would like to politely reword that. All income from, whatever source, is combined and then the personal tax allowance applied to give a taxable amount. How the tax is actually collected depends on the individuals situation. A private pension is usually the first port of call.                When David Cameron was the (not so) prime minister,  he was reported to say "if they keep complaining ,(overseas pensioners), I will take away their personal allowance." Nice.

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You get the benefits of the now payment in government services when you pay it.. 

Not entirely true.

In my case I worked overseas and from 1984 through until 2014 I paid voluntary contributions towards my state pension and as I wasn't in the UK, I received zero in government services. In fact, when my children went to University I had to pay the full overseas rate for them despite them being British citizens. 

The government, in the main, receives revenue through three streams, Income tax, National Insurance and VAT. I was always under the impression that National Insurance was a means to fund a future pension rather than a coffer for government services.

• Like 2