Have we broken the back of the pandemic in Thailand? Numbers down though NE remains high

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported the comments of Dr Jakkrarat Pithayawonganon of the DDC yesterday regarding the state of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Numbers of infections were considerably down compared to the around 20,000 infections daily in previous weeks.

The figure was 9,331 with far fewer people suffering serious infections or having to be intubated. Most of those were the elderly or people with other health conditions.

What with more recoveries and the overlying trend in the last seven days of those treated as outpatient-cum-home isolation and in full home isolation dropping by tens of thousands from 498,578 last week, Thai authorities are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Begging the question as to whether the pandemic in Thailand is in its final weeks and months. 

There were 84 deaths, mostly the unvaccinated. 

The North East, Central Region and eastern seaboard presented the most infections with some parts of Isaan still high. 

People are being urged to get their boosters especially the vulnerable and the elderly. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Well had my second booster,hope it keeps the virus at bay,

Vaccinations and boosters are said to be questionable as a deterrent against the infection, however your common sense still works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bowring said:

New variants already picking up in the West, more contagious and with heavier symptoms, similar to the original CoVid,  Sadly cases of people with 3 vaccine shots getting it.

Coming to Thailand soon, courtesy of the free for all entry policy

There was no free for all policy earlier but Thailand still got all version of this virus. Forget about Thailand, China which is biggest fortress with iron clad lockdown policies got all flavors. You cant stop a virus, mitigation, education, prevention policies can slow it down and make it manageable.

Edited by RandiRona
  • Like 1

They will keep the emergency decree and can change from day to day, in begin 2020 a new disease the shock period, in june 2020 until now terror time keeping people anxious, now they realize the mistake but never admit it, it is not yet the end i think personally.

4 hours ago, huangnon said:

Just spent a month in the UK. -England now fully mask / fear-free, and Scotland to follow. People getting on with their lives again, and for the most part seems like Covid never happened,

Yes, cases lately are way down in the UK, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people are still dying of COVID every day in the UK right now -- more than 200 per day lately...and about triple the current number in Thailand for countries of approx. the same population.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

In my opinion no, I have talked to a few people over the last few days and the conclusion I have come to is that many, many do not report that they have/had covid19 and it is more common than people think

Does it matter? Personally I don't think so. What you say is a strong indicator that we're learning to live with it. And the more we do that, the more the 'fear factor' fades away. The more that people can just go about their lives and basically ignore Covid the better off we will all be.

Which, incidentally is what I've been doing from the very beginning as has everyone else in our village. No one even wore a mask until this last surge and I still don't!

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, cases lately are way down in the UK, which is a good thing. Unfortunately, a lot of people are still dying of COVID every day in the UK right now -- more than 200 per day lately...and about triple the current number in Thailand for countries of approx. the same population.

UK has been consistent in the way it reports numbers throughout- covid plus death within 28 days.  However, in recent months it has also reported a second set of numbers which is essentially minus what are judged to be incidental deaths.  This second set of figures shows considerably lower deaths.

Also 2-3 weeks ago 4.9m of the population were believed to be infected with covid- that's around 1 in 15.

Edited by mommysboy

Thai figures are pretty meaningless. Here in Udon, 'Official' case numbers have changed very little in months, but the number of reported deaths have shot up - about 5% Cases to deaths in the latest local report. If the case numbers were realistic, it would make Omicron the deadliest variant!

As said, most people now test at home and do not report it. Personally i know 5 families who have had cases in the last couple of weeks - and that is more than during the first 2 years of the pandemic.

• Like 2