Roof Gutters

33 RPM

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Do yourself a favor, either now or in the future. Go to DoHome and purchase the white UV-PVC gutters and downpipes, have had ours on for 6 years, no issues.

That said, spotted a leak coming from the plasterboard ceiling under the front porch, I opened up a bigger section to see what gives and I noticed an aluminium, zinc, call it what you will leaking, I basically lost it, called the Mrs in and said W-T-F- is this, she called the builder, his excuse was, had to make special gutter for the runoff of the 2 other gutters on either side.

The leaking gutter is deep, consider it a box gutter, so I said I want it replaced with a PVC one, ok, no problem, buy one and I will install it, but will have to make adjustments to accommodate, three months later, still waiting, that said, he is good for it, as we know it takes a long time to get him away from all of his other work which is backlogged, but will eventually have it changed to PVC. 

They’re like small children, if you’re not standing at their shoulder saying ‘no! Naughty. Don’t do that!’ They’ll just try to get away with anything. 

When they extended my garage I felt confident with the company as the owner was a young bilingual go getter, well educated and knowledgeable. I thought ‘great, I’ll sit back and let them go for it and not micro manage’. End of day one I check the progress… we’ll <deleted> me. 
Needless to say I was the new site supervisor for the next 3 days. 

I’ll give them props though. They took on board my concerns, listened and did their best to raise their standards. Can’t complain about that 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Right after rainy season is over ... 

More than likely, wife bumped into him at the markets the other day, oh, haven't forgotten you, and your sister who is busting them big time as she has a leak as well.

Problem is, workmanship is what we look for and he has it, so will wait as opposed to using someone else, that said, if it was really urgent he would come over within a day, but we don't bust them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

They’re like small children, if you’re not standing at their shoulder saying ‘no! Naughty. Don’t do that!’ They’ll just try to get away with anything. 

We were fortunate to have this builder do our place, i.e. we waited a year for him to be available, that said, the build took him 18 months, just him and his then partner, they would call in the renderers when needed, but everything was done by them.

We weren't in a hurry, and the Mrs's sister would be on-site everyday at certain times when stages where to be carried out, LINE video so I could see the steel, the pour etc, then we were here the last 6 months to see everything daily living in the rear bungalow.

Never had an issue, except for the 2 hour lunch breaks, as for the lunchtime naps in the cool shade of the house, I had no issue as it was in the 40's, and no one in their right minds would work in that heat, although these guys did.

I know what you mean about them being like small children, as I would get the Mrs to translate, e.g. I wanted to know how they were going to do this or that, and if I thought that I knew of a better way,  would put my proposal forward, couple of times, yep, great idea, other times, but if we did this like that, we would need to do this and that, ok, point taken, go your way, no real issues, but everything was of course, in Thai time, so you had to bite your bottom lip, as I am used to builders rocking up 7am and knocking off at either 3 or 4pm after a solid days work.

• Like 1

Just as important as the gutters themselves (appropriately inclined), are the downpipes with sufficient capacity to allow the heavy downpours to flow freely. In addition, the water from those downpipes needs adequate away drainage.

Even with everything in its place, gutters easily become clogged with leaves and other debris and need to be checked and cleared from time to time.

Difficult to find those who really understand the potential problems when installing, especially at the joints.

8 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Just as important as the gutters themselves (appropriately inclined), are the downpipes with sufficient capacity to allow the heavy downpours to flow freely. In addition, the water from those downpipes needs adequate away drainage.

We'll be collecting water at 3 different points, off 3 small roofs, facing 3 different directions (E-S-W), since we literally have nowhere for water to drain away.

Gutters not needed in previous 2 houses, and never had a 'flooding' issue, even in the heaviest rains.

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

what so most Thai people spend maybe 10,000 baht for gutters so they can keep 1 baht of water. im sure it pays for it's self in time :w00t:

But i do understand the bit of blue 4'' pipe, cut in half directing water into the big clay pot.

That price is probably 2 to 3 times the cost around here. Along with the fact that the rain water is usually a lot cleaner than village water. And it’s many times more than 1 Baht of water.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

I dont have access to town water so i'm reliant solely on well water, quantity unknown.

and in the event of it running dry or being unusable, id rather have 20000 litres in tanks , free water, unlike the prices ive had for carting it in.

the tanks would pay for themselves in no time.

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

what so most Thai people spend maybe 10,000 baht for gutters

I wish ????  A few of the blue water tanks cost more than that.  Gutters alone were 16k installed, and nicely done.  Guessing about 45 linear meters of.  Add 5 storage tank, I think and you're heading toward 50k.

When the apocalypses comes, it will be well worth it, as desalinating seawater is easy, but a bit of work if wanting a fair amount of.

Getting prepared:

Solar ✔️

EVs   ✔️

Rain water  ✔️

Septic ✔️

live among pineapple & coconut fields ✔️

live walking distance to surf / seafood ✔️

To do list:

Buy chickens 

Buy fishing rod 

Buy dairy cow or goat

Edited by KhunLA

Galvanize gutter require etch prime before finish paint

Many construction worker do not understand process for this material

For interest of cost

Photo example order for friend  large 6 inch galvanize gutter

totals 40 meter long 8 x 4 meter piece

Extra cost for 4 pipe insert and stop end

Include 60 fix clip

Cost about 5000 baht not include install cost

Join with hot solder or drill with rivet

IMG_1679.JPG.3dfdd8971a0f8bcfafd116ca8eac0bfd.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Cant see the point in them , as tropical rain soon overwhelms the gutter, pipes, and drains. i do understand if you just need to divert water away from a particular area. but other than that why bother.

It is nice to divert the water away from the houses, either by drains leading away or collect the rainwater in tanks. I have 3m3 tanks on each corner, and they are useally half full after a proper rainfall. If expecting many days with rain Im emptying it by my drainsystem in to the rice fields. 

It saves the ground around your house, and if the gutters is sized correct, they are not overflooding. 

In our area there is a guy traveling around and fit alu gutters. No paint needed. 

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I wish ????  A few of the blue water tanks cost more than that.  Gutters alone were 16k installed, and nicely done.  Guessing about 45 linear meters of.  Add 5 storage tank, I think and you're heading toward 50k.

When the apocalypses comes, it will be well worth it, as desalinating seawater is easy, but a bit of work if wanting a fair amount of.

Getting prepared:

Solar ✔️

EVs   ✔️

Rain water  ✔️

Septic ✔️

live among pineapple & coconut fields ✔️

live walking distance to surf / seafood ✔️

To do list:

Buy chickens 

Buy fishing rod 

Buy dairy cow or goat

I watch Domsday Preppers. as well. 

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Galvanize gutter require etch prime before finish paint

Many construction worker do not understand process for this material

For interest of cost

Photo example order for friend  large 6 inch galvanize gutter

totals 40 meter long 8 x 4 meter piece

Extra cost for 4 pipe insert and stop end

Include 60 fix clip

Cost about 5000 baht not include install cost

Join with hot solder or drill with rivet

IMG_1679.JPG.3dfdd8971a0f8bcfafd116ca8eac0bfd.JPG

you have a very small house by the looks of it.

most homes in Thailand don't  have gutters.

what's the life span of that fag paper galvanized steel ?

9 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

I watch Domsday Preppers. as well. 

Don't watch that.  Only watched YT'er 'City Prepping', and only a couple times, because of a 'give away' caught my eye.  Talk about pushing doom & gloom, to push his sales ... ????

World's been coming to an end, ever since it started.  Not very concerned, but ready.  Nothing to do with paranoia of, simply economical to go solar w/EVs.  Unfortunately, need gutters due to very small, walled lot.  Wish I didn't need, could spend 50k on something else.  50k is about  30 yrs of city water use for us, @ 150 a month.  No savings there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Guess it depends where you live.   City or close urban, it's almost mandatory.   We live rural, and very few have here, unless collecting rainwater to use.  If not for the small, walled lot, we certainly wouldn't have.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Guess it depends where you live.   City or close urban, it's almost mandatory.   We live rural, and very few have here, unless collecting rainwater to use.  If not for the small, walled lot, we certainly wouldn't have.

Yes, i live in the sticks and only the ones that are walled in have any form of gutters.

water here just runs in to the rice paddies.

Ps water here is about 75-100 baht a month, village has it's own borehole, it never runs dry as very close to Mekong  river.

but a power cut does stop the flow sometimes.

Edited by Orinoco

55 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

you have a very small house by the looks of it.

what's the life span of that fag paper galvanized steel ?

I see no house in photo

I say in my post gutter is for friend job

Always best read post before writing reply 

Gutter in my photo for work area at front 

Old galvanize gutter at front last about 15 years rear ok no bad rusting

You can see my small house at my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kz7CkpYRQ2ReMZ6mTk2zQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

We have the plastic gutters installed and in 8 years have yet to see them overflow even with the heaviest downpour.

The only issue we have is with them becoming blocked caused by birds building nests and the fact we have a lot of trees creating further debris.

You can have a type of cover applied to stop this but never seem to get round to it, have them cleaned out regularly.

The overflowing will occur if the guttering and down pipes are not of the size to suit the roof area.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 9:26 AM, Dante99 said:

It appears that that gutter has been painted or coated.  It is not just shinny stainless which to me would not be a look on a house that appeal.

Stainless is available in different surface finishes. 

• Thanks 1

For gutters to work properly they have to be sized, sloped and installed correctly.

Galvanized, stainless and pre-painted aluminum can all be roll-formed to length from coil on-site, so there should be no need for seams, unless their are corners. 

If you want to paint, galvanized and stainless should both be primed with an appropriate primer. If you want to use vinegar to "etch" the surface, be sure to wash the oil off first, and you should still use an appropriate primer. But in my opinion, treating with vinegar is largely useless. Low or no-spangle GA generally holds paint better than high-spangle.

Far and away, the best primer I have ever used (and I have used a lot) for both  galvanized and stainless steel is TOA RusTech. It requires no pre-treatment beyond washing, and it sticks forever. It covers and finishes well, and you can spray, roll, or brush it. The only real downsides are that it is expensive, and it has a VERY short pot-life. It is catalytic, so make sure you're ready to use it before you mix it. 

Last visit 2019 we had a local plumber come around and fit some country gutter, gal, and very well done.

Rolled up with all his gear and an apprentice and laid out everything on the street outside, including his gas cooker to heat the (seemingly 2 kg) soldering iron.

Asked him about alternatives, plastic etc. and his reaction was, rubbish and junk. Had that opinion myself really.

He pointed to several installs around the neighbourhood he had done over 15 years ago and still going strong.

Good enough reference for me.

Been looking at installing a roof gutter since the overhang of the roof is 1st of all not big enough to keep water splashing down hitting the lower end of the wall and doors (wood , preparing to change those to alu or upvc , would never put wooden doors again since unless you can you can keep them 100% dry all the time , they will need replacement after 10-15y )  . Addding a gutter would add another 20cm of overhang . And a 2nd reason is to reroute the flow of water from the roof to a "removal point" which can be a tank , but can also be just the street instead of adding more water to the land . The land itself is raised quite a lot so it is no issue of overflowing the land from streetside .

On 5/25/2022 at 5:40 AM, bluejets said:

Asked him about alternatives, plastic etc. and his reaction was, rubbish and junk. Had that opinion myself really.

So UPVC alternatives are rubbish and junk...????

According to a random guy who only installs metal gutters?

29 minutes ago, unheard said:

I think it's more to do with the skill of the installer rather than the choice of materials.

In the UK, PVC was all that was ever used (since about 1980).

Apart from having to climb a ladder to poke the leaves out now and again, all my UK homes had perfectly functional PVC gutters and down-pipes.

Edited by BritManToo

6 hours ago, unheard said:

A random guy that showed him 15-year-old jobs in his own neighborhood that still looked good and soldered all the joints, so not all that random.

In any event, he was said to be a plumber, so (apparently) he doesn't just install gutters.

On 5/21/2022 at 11:09 AM, SomchaiDIY said:

I see no house in photo

I say in my post gutter is for friend job

Always best read post before writing reply 

Gutter in my photo for work area at front 

Old galvanize gutter at front last about 15 years rear ok no bad rusting

You can see my small house at my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kz7CkpYRQ2ReMZ6mTk2zQ

We have those thin galvanized gutters on our house, installed exactly 15 years ago, rusty in some spots but no holes yet. But I will replace them when I renovate and expand the gutter system, needs way more slope.

Thanks for the link, my wife is a DIY person she always wants to know and learn how to do things

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pooreye said:

We have those thin galvanized gutters on our house, installed exactly 15 years ago, rusty in some spots but no holes yet. But I will replace them when I renovate and expand the gutter system, needs way more slope.

Thanks for the link, my wife is a DIY person she always wants to know and learn how to do things

Treat the rust-spots with cold-galvanizing compound and get another 15 years...