Is it okay to drink Bangkok tap water without boiling it?

topswijaya

9 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

chlorine

Yes

9 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

any other crap

Yes

I use it for cooking. 

I don't use it for coffee, only in an emergency

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NativeBob said:

At central reservoir it is almost safe to drink, but the main issue is "last mile" - pipes that bring it to your house. Some are very old and filthy - so no, you can't use it for human consumption. But full scale filter + RO clean it just fine. Although we still buy bottled water at 7/11

Thanks for your info! We buy small bottles to keep in the fridge for drinking. For making tea/coffee and cooking we get the large 5 US gallon (18.9 litres) bottles delivered for 12 baht each. It would be interesting to get a test done on one of these!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

It would be interesting to get a test done on one of these!

yes, good idea.

almost 19 liters for 12 thb?! What company do you use? Very attractive price

22 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

yes, good idea.

almost 19 liters for 12 thb?! What company do you use? Very attractive price

There are a couple of teams of guys who deliver in our area. Old, battered flatbed waggons. No names on vehicles or on the bottles. I suspect they fill them from the mains water supply. That's why I thought it would be interesting to get a test done!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

There are a couple of teams of guys who deliver in our area. Old, battered flatbed waggons. No names on vehicles or on the bottles. I suspect they fill them from the mains water supply. That's why I thought it would be interesting to get a test done!

Obviously they do filtering at the back of their house. Yes water might pass the today's test but not tomorrow's. 

There're paper strips to check chemicals in water but unfortunately we must study organics in such water - that will cost more than set of strips )))

Another option is to add potassium permanganate into that water but not many like the taste and looks weird. 

back in 90s "light purple water" was everywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2024 at 7:57 PM, Seppius said:

I use 7/11 cheap bottles for cooking at B8 a 1.5 bottles

Purra mineral water or similar for drinking b11 a 1.5

I do exactly the same.

Not even the Thai nationals in Bangkok would drink that filth.

It's alarming to see the many comments saying it's OK.

If you haven't got the money to buy filtered, clean water you shouldn't be living here, go back to the West where tap water is good to drink. 

See you guys in the next life, you will be there shortly. 

I would be more concerned with other stuff in the water, like heavy metals and chemicals, than I would with stuff that can give me travellers diarrhea

• Agree 2

I used to drink tap water near the uni in CM.

I never had a problem.

However, after moving away from that area, I would no longer do so in my new place.

Also, I would not drink ground water from a well.

As someone already reported, the water tanks on the houses, and the pipes, can get super dirty, and full of who knows what.

Due to the pipes and tanks being suspect, I would never again drink tap water in Thailand.

Better to find the best company available to supply the large 20-liter jugs, and buy several at a time, for drinking and cooking.

At least, this is what I do.

And, ...no trouble for me to do so, and I am used to doing this, and have done this, since 1979.