What Is the Closest You Ever Came to Dying? .... And, I mean, Dying in Asia, due to your own Stupidity?

The moral to this story is to buy Hitachi refrigerators in Asia, I think.

I hope it is not out of bounds to state this opinion here:

I have had great success with Hitachi products in Thailand.

These days, when I buy Hitachi products, I am never chased with a Chinese meat cleaver.

Also, in my humble opinion, Hitachi company has a reputation for extremely good after-sales service.

I am now a very satisfied customer of Hitachi, Thailand.

Thank you, Hitachi!!!

Done about 200 base jumps around in Asia, climbing, and driving 100k more or less on thai roads on big motorbike often faster than 200 km/h, it was an speedboat who almost killed me in Koh Chang when coming up to surface next to our diving flag. A really close call touch and go

• Sad 1

Many years ago, I narrowly missed losing an eye to a dart in this bar.

This bar once had a dartboard near the exit

Foolishly, I taunted a dart-thrower, some drunk I did not know. And he winged one just past my eye.

This bar is one of the ones which did not close until...ever....Years ago.

I have no idea who really owns this bar, which has been going strong, very late at night and early in the mornings, for many years.

This bar was better many years ago, because....

The guys were weirder than they have been since 1983.

Anyway, I almost lost an eye in this bar.

Some nights, I still wake up after dreaming I cannot see, with PTSD.

Also, it was in this bar where, on rare occasions, a Chinese friend of mine would wheel himself in on his wheelchair, with his catheter and urine bottle, and ask for a beer.

What had happened to him was that he fell in love too deeply with a bar girl.

She rejected him one night.

And then, he jumped out of a high floor window of the Mayflower Hotel, across from what was once the Hilton, and landed on the roof of the porte-cochère to the hotel. It saved his life, but left him with a catheter and a life on wheels.

I asked him why.

He just smiled.

Sometimes, for some people, life makes no sense.

There is just no logic to it.

image.jpeg.f777100cf50d113205d54bd64bb88179.jpeg

A snake appeared outside the room where the 2 grandchildren were. In such circumstances I take no chances and prepared to dispatch the reptile. A bit of a struggle followed but eventually managed to decapitate it. I then out of curiosity decided to look up what type of snake it was, for future reference, that's when I realised how close to death I had come.

Apparently the snake was highly venomous and had it bit, I wouldn't be here.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

A snake appeared outside the room where the 2 grandchildren were. In such circumstances I take no chances and prepared to dispatch the reptile. A bit of a struggle followed but eventually managed to decapitate it. I then out of curiosity decided to look up what type of snake it was, for future reference, that's when I realised how close to death I had come.

Dear Charlie,

a.  You are brave.

b.  I would not have been able to face the snake..(unless my grandchildren had been at risk)

c.  I am thankful that you survived...(for several reasons)

Hopefully, this same type of thing will not happen to you, ever again.

Regards

Note:  It is just these types of close calls that keep me awake at night, reliving them, maybe a few times each year. Should my mind succumb to complete dementia, then it will still be these terrifying memories which will be the last to leave me.  I have no doubt.

We are prisoners of our own minds, with no escape.

Concerning close encounters with snakes:

While barbecuing chicken and pork with my GF late at night in the mountains, a BaiBuShe ( 100 Step Snake) passed between us.  It was CLOSE.

image.jpeg.0ed957ed342f736e79fe4f5300fa53aa.jpeg

The popular name "hundred pacer" refers to a local belief that, after being bitten, the victim will only be able to walk 100 steps before dying. In some areas, it has even been called the "fifty pacer" or, in extreme examples, the "five-step snake." This often causes bite victims to needlessly amputate or burn bitten fingers or limbs, resulting in further complications like the loss of the amputated body part or gangrene. Nevertheless, this species is considered dangerous, and fatalities are not unusual. An antivenom is produced in Taiwan.

Still, we were not particularly afraid at the time. Though, for sure, if we had been bitten, we would not have been able to walk even five paces. Not due to the venom of the snake, but simply because we had each drunk almost 5 liters of canned Kirin beer, by 4 AM.

image.jpeg.716aa223e8874f7edfb4dc06d2fb44aa.jpeg

Such a beautiful snake.

Also, rare, I think.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Charlie,

a.  You are brave.

b.  I would not have been able to face the snake..(unless my grandchildren had been at risk)

c.  I am thankful that you survived...(for several reasons)

Hopefully, this same type of thing will not happen to you, ever again.

Regards

Note:  It is just these types of close calls that keep me awake at night, reliving them, maybe a few times each year. Should my mind succumb to complete dementia, then it will still be these terrifying memories which will be the last to leave me.  I have no doubt.

We are prisoners of our own minds, with no escape.

This is the one.....redneck keelback

images (26).jpeg

The opposite! I came alive when I entered Pattaya for the first time at the tender age of 46. Had my career, had my female companions, lived in many corners of the world and I wonderd what life has to offer anymore. (seen it all. done it all). At this point, I woulden't have cared if lighning would have struck me.

But, lo and behold, I ended up in Pattaya. I had found the Garden of Eden for men. No need to "fight" for women. Actually, no need to fight for anything. Nice weather, everything reasonably priced. The closest I ever came to a non agressive international "brotherhood of man". Everybody just there to enjoy life.

Things may have changed somewhat. But still, as soon as the last travel-restrictions fall, I would like to visit Pattaya again, to see what's left of "The Garden of Eden for men".

- Never had any "close calls" in Thailand, threathening my life or my health. Quite the opposite, I was reborn at the age of 46 in Pattaya.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

The opposite! I came alive when I entered Pattaya for the first time at the tender age of 46. Had my career, had my female companions, lived in many corners of the world and I wonderd what life has to offer anymore. (seen it all. done it all). At this point, I woulden't have cared if lighning would have struck me.

But, lo and behold, I ended up in Pattaya. I had found the Garden of Eden for men. No need to "fight" for women. Actually, no need to fight for anything. Nice weather, everything reasonably priced. The closest I ever came to a non agressive international "brotherhood of man". Everybody just there to enjoy life.

Things may have changed somewhat. But still, as soon as the last travel-restrictions fall, I would like to visit Pattaya again, to see what's left of "The Garden of Eden for men".

- Never had any "close calls" in Thailand, threathening my life or my health. Quite the opposite, I was reborn at the age of 46 in Pattaya.

You couldnt have been to "every corner of the World" if Pattaya was the first time you saw bars full of prostitutes .

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You couldnt have been to "every corner of the World" if Pattaya was the first time you saw bars full of prostitutes .

Different in Pattaya, compared to the rest of the world. Everybody (in the old days), knew that it was different.

Down 50 meters in the lake in Geneva, onset of narcosis, 4 degrees Celsius water, pitch dark, and both regulators frosted.

Taking off in strong wing from Mieussy, poor control resulting in getting airborne with a 40% collapsed wing.

Now, at 70, I am dealing, Prostate cancer, Afib, CKD, and Barett's oesophagus.

And still boombooming

Edited by Boomer6969

Depends who you talk to.  Me, in Asia, quite cautious vs pre Asian living.

Others think I, high risk @ 67, risk my life everyday when I leave the house without a mask.

And then riding a MB, and damn suicidal to some.  Breathing air with wind in your face, apparently a deadly combination.  Go figure ????

Much more dangerous than jumping out of a perfectly good plane, swimming with 100+ sharks, getting bounced out of raft in rapids, or jumping of a platform, attached only by a rubber band.   Oops, that last one was Asia ... and laughed, live afterwards.

On a beach on one of the islands, walking back to my room, drunk, during a power cut, with no torch. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face it was so dark, so I was feeling my way (badly) with my feet. And didn't account for an  unexpected drop from broken concrete on to the beach itself. So I went face first into the sand. No real harm done, so got up and went on my way.

Next day, I went back and looked where I fell, and it was just full of jagged rocks and other broken bits of concrete. My face had landed in just about the only place where it was safe to land. Missed a bad injury, and probably death, by inches.

Edited by markwhite

On 6/2/2022 at 8:21 AM, CharlieH said:

90% of snake bite deaths are people trying to kill the snake.