How can people live like this? Landlady finds filthy flat of "professor at famous university"

webfact

screenshot_17932.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath went to Khon Kaen after a a video clip was posted of a flat in an appallingly filthy state on a site that translates in part as "So You Wanna Be Famous".

Well she is now, even if her name was not used. 

The flat was being rented by a woman who just graduated and become a professor at a "well known university" in the NE Thai city.

She left owing two months rent and the landlady at the block had been unable to contact her by phone or Line text. 

So she decided to break in and found trash and sanitary towels everywhere. And the furniture was all damaged. 

The woman had been renting for ten years at 4,400 baht a month. 

When reporters arrived the trash had been put into 20 bin bags and all that was left was a TV, Fridge and water heater - all damaged.

External video click HERE

There was still fungus growing on the fridge, dead jingjoks inside and cobwebs on the ceiling inside and out on the balcony. Today the block's janitor was due to make a further assessment of the damage.

The owner said the renter had got her degree and she'd seen a post on Facebook of her being accepted onto the faculty staff at the uni. 

She was just a normal woman who she'd usually just see at weekends.

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

But towards the end of last year she started getting behind with the rent though after being contacted she would always transfer the money promptly. 

However contact had ceased in the last two months. The landlady wanted her to vacate the room because there were a lot of new students who wanted a place. 

She was promised a new room. 

The landlady said she was not reporting the matter to the police but wants the 8,800 baht due and the damage to be paid for.

She hoped that the shaming online would get her to contact her again. 

She lamented how people can live in such a mess saying that tenants had a responsibility as well as landlords. She warned other landlords.  

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-06-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Easiest way to own or rent a car in Thailand - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So let me understand this.  You graduate and can then immediately become a professor at a 'famous' university?

Well she was renting for 10 years so perhaps it could be she worked her way up from a bachelors, masters, doctorate to professor during those 10 years.

Or she did what some do in Thailand and simply buy there way there ????.  

40 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So let me understand this.  You graduate and can then immediately become a professor at a 'famous' university?

Suspect usual great reporting.  Google translates from Thai as "Currently applying to be a professor at a famous university....".

I feel this could be generational.

Many years ago, I caused great amusement for a former GF when she discovered all the coat hangers in my wardrobe faced the same way.

My Thai GF was horrified when we stayed with my son and his wife in Australia. Putting it kindly, they are messy grubs.

Interestingly, they have converted to neat freaks now that they are selling the house. They must have filled four dumpsters with the <deleted> they had.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps you need to understand that "professor" is, probably, just a loose translation of "lecturer" in a Thai-to-English report.

And here it is obviously a complete rubbish translation.

From the Thai language headline, the dictionaries say:

อาจารย์สาว aa-jaan săao

That's a young ("girl") teacher ; instructor ; schoolteacher

Google calls it: young teacher (missing the female part, "saao" is a young girl)

"professor" :crazy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

being rented by a woman who just graduated and become a professor

I've always found GoGo bar girls to have the cleanest rooms.

I've met a few freelancers on Soi Buakhao to have filthy rooms. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 hours ago, 2long said:

"dead jingjoks inside and cobwebs"

Come on, we all do it to a certain extent... we all use Thai when we are communicating in English! ????

Dinner that was leftover maybe.....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Excel said:

Well she was renting for 10 years so perhaps it could be she worked her way up from a bachelors, masters, doctorate to professor during those 10 years.

It should be assistant professor with a PhD degree but in America also people will refer to the person as a professor (not assistant professor). That's what in the USA. After PhD you start at an Assistant professor level. And within two years with two papers from you PhD thesis, you could become an Associate professor. From Associate professor to Professor is a long haul unless you become a voracious paper publishers. 

Edited by Onerak

10 hours ago, Onerak said:

It should be assistant professor with a PhD degree but in America also people will refer to the person as a professor (not assistant professor). That's what in the USA. After PhD you start at an Assistant professor level. And within two years with two papers from you PhD thesis, you could become an Associate professor. From Associate professor to Professor is a long haul unless you become a voracious paper publishers. 

As I said, perhaps she bought her way to it, this is Thailand after all.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

And therfore had no money to pay the rent...

Well she was paying it for 10 years so perhaps as she was clever she sub-let it for 9000/month and hence the difference went towards payment for her professorship, 

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well she was paying it for 10 years so perhaps as she was clever she sub-let it for 9000/month and hence the difference went towards payment for her professorship, 

Could be....10 years of college is a long time to get your degree, and then a doctorate.....

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Could be....10 years of college is a long time to get your degree, and then a doctorate.....

Really ?  Bachelors 3/4 years here + MSc 1/2 years + doctorate which with research could be 3 years so that is 8/9 years without the additional papers to earn her a professorship and as that could be a significant time frame then that is why I suggested she actually paid for it to achieve that level in only 10 years.  But I guess you may be correct also if she was "banging" some of the existing professors in order to take a shortcut.