Climate change: As Po River dries up, Italy's food and energy supplies are at risk

onthedarkside

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Thank you for your fact-free rant. In fact, the official scientific  assessments about the consequences of climate change have mostly been underestimates of the consequences of anthropogenic climate change and repeatedly have to be revised to reflect the reality of the situation.

Where is your proof of this?

22 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The question should probably be how hot can it get before its too late and a catastrophe is inevitable. 

Their rough guess now is 1°C over the 1-200 yrs.  That gives them more than a few generations to sort things out.  Not a believer of MMCG myself.  

Warming, yes, it's natural occurrence, historically, tops out at a couple more degrees before the big chill starts.  Something that actually should be more of a concern.

Actually, I'd be more concerned about the water table, and supply of 'affordable' drinking water.   But then, as it is now, it will simply go to those, that the elite decide are worthy enough to have.

If not servicing them, and providing food, we, well, not me, some folks, wouldn't even be allotted that.   Take Africa for instance, and how many die are allowed to die every year from no clean drinking water.   

Don't contribute = no clean water for you.  Why waste the resources. ????

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can't say 1 degree in the past 200 years concerns me that much. In another one or two thousand years it might be warm enough for me to think about returning the the UK to live. 

So long as you're ok then thats all that matters, the disproportinate effects however in reagoins such as Africa can and are causing 

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Extreme weather events tend to do that, along with Australia's extreme wildfires recently, all due to climate change

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

So what caused the 100 year low temps in Aus?

Man?

Nature?

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Oh yes they can.   That's why the 70's 'global cooling' became the 90's 'global warming' became today's 'climate change', we got all of weather to conform to our little political agenda.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

As long as TH has uncontrolled flooding every year, don't think lack of water will ever be a problem.

If they run out during dry season some year, they might simply start managing wet season better....

.... until then ... oh well.

We will go into dry season with enough rainwater collected to actually hold us over till rainy season if ever needed.

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

How much contribution from the developed world would the mostly autocratic and corrupt rulers suggest to address this?   Maybe Bob Geldof could (funnel cash) to save them again.   Swiss bank accounts await.   It isn't just Africa, all of our corrupt 'leaders' are using this to fatten their wallets.   Using budgets, carbon credits, etc.  Biggest con of all time, step right up!

Edited by tjintx
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Did man cause the Italian stuff but nature the Oz stuff?

Google 1800s extreme weather events. You find all sorts of stuff.

For someone so interested in investments you seem curiously unaware of the significance of rates. In the case of climate, it's all about the rates of change.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlbionBob said:

I have a holiday home in mid-Wales, near Machynlleth. When I am in the uk,

I go there on a regular basis.   It is nearly a!ways raining.  I wish the people that make the weather could apply some of this global warming to this part of the world !!  In fact, I think most people in the UK find it hard to believe in global warming as it is hardly ever warm !!  Only a few weeks ago, I played golf in Aberystwyth, gale force winds and freezing cold !  Global warming ???

I see that the UK have just had a week of temps over 30 degrees, reaching 34 at one point.  They have also had serious floods in recent years, in areas that don't normally flood,  so I think your assessment may be a bit off, probably because you have you holiday home  in an odd location on the Island.

Don't the Welsh hate holiday home owners?  

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

9 out of the last 10 years much cooler. 1 year level.

This is utterly false. I'm on my mobile now but later I will link to official climate reports that show The last 5 years have in fact been the hottest on record. In fact 19 out of the 20 hottest years have occurred in the 21st century.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Maybe Bob Geldof could (funnel cash) to save them again.  

God no, don't bring that self opinionated idiot into the conversation.  Next you will be asking Bono to sing to people, a depressing experience at the best of times. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tjintx said:

How much contribution from the developed world would the mostly autocratic and corrupt rulers suggest to address this?   Maybe Bob Geldof could (funnel cash) to save them again.   Swiss bank accounts await.   It isn't just Africa, all of our corrupt 'leaders' are using this to fatten their wallets.   Using budgets, carbon credits, etc.  Biggest con of all time, step right up!

9 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The last 4 years in African graph are much cooler than 10 years ago.

What does the word "global" mean to you?

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This is utterly false. I'm on my mobile now but later I will link to official climate reports that show The last 5 years have in fact been the hottest on record. In fact 19 out of the 20 hottest years have occurred in the 21st century.

Look at the African graph he posted. 9 of the past 10 much cooler than 11 years ago

Hottest on record? Since 1880.

The earth is 4.5bn years old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

God no, don't bring that self opinionated idiot into the conversation.  Next you will be asking Bono to sing to people, a depressing experience at the best of times. 

Do you know the difference between Bono and God?    God doesn't imagine he's Bono.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Time to leave this subject , as it's going down the normal: it is, it isn't, it may be, it can't be, it will, it won't,  it's all a big business conspiracy,  road. 

Same old thing. 1976 to 2016 warming. 2016 to 2022 cooling.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

The last 4 to 6 years shows cooling.

But you don't seem to understand is that it's statistically invalid the cherry pick a starting point and move on from there. It should be obvious that one year does not get to define a trend. Apparently not for some.

40 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

So what caused the 100 year low temps in Aus?

Man?

Nature?

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

Climate change means that climates are changing because of man made actions...there is no incongruity in the changes in Australia.

The very fact that the Australians chose parties that are in favour of actions to halt climate change is proof of this. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2