U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

Isn't it funny how all you Dems. stick together. To me Abortion is not killing a baby ,it's murder and it doesn't matter what party you are in  murder is murder when there is a heartbeat.

You can cite some examples of case law can you?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

How many yanks actually 'know' what the ruling was, instead of 'abortions are now banned' by Republicans ... hmm

This thread pretty much proves that point. IMHO

Well its only in republican states that the ban is currently in effect so that could be the reason. The ruling has been posted in this tread and it clearly gives the onus to states to decide themselves, so that's whats happening ending up with many now banning abortions with more still to come after they sort out the details.

'It's now up to the states': Republicans move to ban abortion after Roe falls

Red state governors and attorneys general moved swiftly to ban access to the procedure and announced special legislative sessions to restrict abortion in the minutes and hours after the Supreme Court’s decision. Their blue state counterparts quickly issued executive orders and announced new policies to protect abortion and prevent abortion-rights opponents from prosecuting providers and patients for pregnancies terminated legally in their state’s borders.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/24/states-abortion-laws-supreme-court-00042390

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

still would have been a majority ending child murder!

Putting aside for a moment that the Morning After Pill aborts an undifferentiated zygote, I am sure that if your wife or daughter were raped by, say, someone of a Middle Eastern faith or a minority, you would demand she carry that zygote all the way through to birth and give the child all the love it deserved..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

no, if the shoe was on the other foot would you want to spend all your life supporting a child by a mother who wanted nothing to do with you or you her?

Why would the mother support the child?  In this scenario, the father wants the baby and the woman doesn't.  Presumably the man would take the baby if he wanted it and the woman didn't.

Besides, we know that regardless of the circumstances, the man will generally be made to pay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't it sad for a man that a woman can abort his baby and he has no say in it?

What if that man is abusive, what if the relationship is toxic? What if that man has already left the relationship?

• Confused 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What if that man is abusive, what if the relationship is toxic? What if that man has already left the relationship?

What if the man is wonderful, with a good job and wants to keep the baby that he made with a woman who now doesn't want it?  Why does he need to be in the relationship in order to keep his baby?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

no, if the shoe was on the other foot would you want to spend all your life supporting a child by a mother who wanted nothing to do with you or you her?

Been there, have the T-Shirt & the baseball cap & the simple answer is yes I would rather support my child in that scenario than have her abort him (Again, I'm not Pro-Abortion, I'm Pro-Choice).

I split up with her before we knew she was pregnant, had to do a DNA test (her solicitor) when he was a couple of weeks old & paid child support until he was 18 & left education. 

She got married a few months after he was born, has had a couple of kids since & the last time I saw her (shortly before the lad's 18 birthday) she was happy. 

I'm gutted I missed out on his life BUT I consider the man who raised him to be his real father, I'm just a biological accident... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's one opinion.  You could equally say that the baby is not "her body", so she doesn't have a choice.

1. It’s not a baby.

2. It’s indisputably her body.

3. Yes you are right, at issue is women being stripped of choices over their own bodies.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What if the man is wonderful, with a good job and wants to keep the baby that he made with a woman who now doesn't want it?  Why does he need to be in the relationship in order to keep his baby?

He doesn’t have a womb, it belongs to somebody else.

I’m surprised this fact has evaded you.

• Like 2

I think the U.S. system produces the opposite of what a S.C. should be:

- it should be composed of politically neutral judges, yet they have been chosen for their known political stance,

-it should be composed of old wise guys, yet judges have nominated at a rather young age, in order to stack the S.C. for as long as possible.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Been there, have the T-Shirt & the baseball cap & the simple answer is yes I would rather support my child in that scenario than have her abort him (Again, I'm not Pro-Abortion, I'm Pro-Choice).

I split up with her before we knew she was pregnant, had to do a DNA test (her solicitor) when he was a couple of weeks old & paid child support until he was 18 & left education. 

She got married a few months after he was born, has had a couple of kids since & the last time I saw her (shortly before the lad's 18 birthday) she was happy. 

I'm gutted I missed out on his life BUT I consider the man who raised him to be his real family, I'm just a biological accident... 

Your commitment to supporting your bio local children is commendable (though should anyone ever have a choice).

However, your decision to take responsibility for your own actions is a separate  matter to a woman having dominion over her own body.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm a guy, I don't think I have a say in these matters.  

If I was a woman, it would be my choice.   

sad day for women. 

It will affect men in a big way also.  Women will think twice about casual sex if they can be criminalize for the result.

Getting laid just got way harder for the average Joe.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm a guy, I don't think I have a say in these matters.  

If I was a woman, it would be my choice.   

sad day for women. 

The way I view this is that, if my significant other were raped or if Chorionic villus sampling shows a severe birth defects, of if something goes wrong with a desired pregnancy, I would definitely have a voice in demonstrating my support for her. 

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well its only in republican states that the ban is currently in effect so that could be the reason. The ruling has been posted in this tread and it clearly gives the onus to states to decide themselves, so that's whats happening ending up with many now banning abortions with more still to come after they sort out the details.

'It's now up to the states': Republicans move to ban abortion after Roe falls

Red state governors and attorneys general moved swiftly to ban access to the procedure and announced special legislative sessions to restrict abortion in the minutes and hours after the Supreme Court’s decision. Their blue state counterparts quickly issued executive orders and announced new policies to protect abortion and prevent abortion-rights opponents from prosecuting providers and patients for pregnancies terminated legally in their state’s borders.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/24/states-abortion-laws-supreme-court-00042390

It is mid-terms ... maybe some will actually pay attention with their vote this time, and in 2024, if abortion, for or against is an issue for them.

Many should have thought about that back in 2016 ... oops

I guess they were too busy watching the crazy man vs the criminal show.

It was well publicized for those paying attention, the SCOTUS, was up for grabs the next administration or two.  Along with lots of Fed Appellate judges.

It gets worse, if you were a lib or Dem:

"Trump appointed 54 federal appellate judges in four years, one short of the 55 Obama appointed in twice as much time. In the process,

Trump “flipped” the balance of several appeals courts from a majority of Democratic appointees to a majority of Republican appointees.

Trump also had a major influence on the nation’s highest court. The three Supreme Court justices he appointed – Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett – are the most by any president since Ronald Reagan (who appointed four) and the most by any one-term president since Herbert Hoover (though Richard Nixon appointed four in his first four years in office)."

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/01/13/how-trump-compares-with-other-recent-presidents-in-appointing-federal-judges/

If people actually care about such things, they should probably pay attention once in a while.  Not cry after the fact ... som nam na

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your commitment to supporting your bio local children is commendable (though should anyone ever have a choice).

However, your decision to take responsibility for your own actions is a separate  matter to a woman having dominion over her own body.

Again... I'm Pro-Choice, if she had decided that she wanted to abort the baby I would have done my upmost to try to talk her out of it (would have probably married her) but at the end of the day, it's her body, her choice. 

Edit: Yes, I believe that every man should be responsible for helping to raise their child, I'm old fashioned like that I guess... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Isn't it funny how all you Dems. stick together. To me Abortion is not killing a baby ,it's murder and it doesn't matter what party you are in  murder is murder when there is a heartbeat.

you're opposed even in cases of rape and incest?

Bottom line for me? Should I and my significant other be faced with this decision, I would not recognize any law, regulation, disapproval by the right wing demanding that we carry to term, deliver, care for and bear the emotional/financial burden of raising a genetically damaged being. Fortunately, I would have the financial resources to seek medical care in an enlightened country. Foolish to follow an absolute stance, based on personal religious beliefs (and trying to force those beliefs on others), and yet refuse to have social systems in place to care (emotionally and financially) for those who choose not to abort. Try to comprehend this only further alienates some of us Americans from being able to believe in and supporting a county that follows such medieval thinking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

1. It’s not a baby.

2. It’s indisputably her body.

3. Yes you are right, at issue is women being stripped of choices over their own bodies.

1, It is an unborn baby, or a being that will become a baby.

2, It goes on within her body, but the unborn baby is a being of its own.

3, The issue is men being stripped of their rights over their unborn children.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's one opinion.  You could equally say that the baby is not "her body", so she doesn't have a choice.

Until a 'baby" can sustain its own life, it is part of and reliant upon the mother.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Until a 'baby" can sustain its own life, it is part of and reliant upon the mother.

But it inevitably will grow into a full human if left to its own devices.  Every baby is a potential human of which both the father and mother have a claim to.

• Like 1