Renewed my annual retirement ext this morning at Korat.

Your bank opens at 8.30 am wow. I use Krungsri as well. I just copy the pages of my bankbook for the year to show always over 800k. Then update on the day i go to immigration and Krungsri gives me a letter confirming the balance in 20 minutes. Usually only takes 1-1.5 hours in total, cost 2,000 baht.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grain said:

Korat requires copies of passbook pages, guarantee letter showing account balance, AND 12-month statement? - correct, all that from bank.

Plus photocopies of TGF's ID card & housebook, as she owns the house I'm registered at. Plus photocopies of current PP (the name/photo page and all pages with stamps) And I think 4 double sided forms giving them my name and DOB and address about a dozen times, and me acknowledging the penalties for overstay. 

And in this case with me, I recently got a new PP. A couple months ago I went to Korat Imm with new PP and old PP to have my visa/ext transferred. For that they required photocopies from new PP (only a couple pages) but the entire old PP, which was the larger extra pages version. From memory old PP amounted to 24 A4 pages, all signed. And for some reason when I did my retirement ext a month later they needed another complete set of photocopies of old PP, so another 24 A4 pages, meaning they now have 2 complete sets of photocopies of every page of my old cancelled PP.

They told me next year I won't need copies of old PP, so that will greatly reduce the amount of copies I'll be handling.

On the plus side I've found Korat Imm very fast and helpful when doing these exts. If you find out beforehand exactly what they want, and return fully prepared, then everything moves very efficiently. None of this having to come back a few days later, that I often got at Pattaya.

Thanks for that!

I'm doing visa waiver to non-O conversion next week and first annual extension in Bangkok, and am planning to move to Korat by Xmas.  We'll stop by Korat immigration when we arrive to file the TM-28 for change of residence, maybe take them a fruit basket to say hello.

Doesn't seem like Korat immigration requires anything beyond what CW does, other than the 12-month statement.  CW wants a rental receipt, which I'm told can be replaced with girlfriend's ID card and lease.

We plan to visit Korat to set things up next month.  I want to open bank accounts locally before my Bangkok-issued extension begins to avoid any potential unnecessary trips to Bangkok for stamped copies.

From the posts above, seems advisable to set up a MeeTaiDai fixed account at Krungri specifically for immigration, and have savings accounts at Bangkok Bank.  I'll be sending cash by Transferwise, and Bangkok Bank is one of three that can accept amounts over 50K baht.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, NoDisplayName said:

Thanks for that!

I'm doing visa waiver to non-O conversion next week and first annual extension in Bangkok, and am planning to move to Korat by Xmas.  We'll stop by Korat immigration when we arrive to file the TM-28 for change of residence, maybe take them a fruit basket to say hello.

Doesn't seem like Korat immigration requires anything beyond what CW does, other than the 12-month statement.  CW wants a rental receipt, which I'm told can be replaced with girlfriend's ID card and lease.

We plan to visit Korat to set things up next month.  I want to open bank accounts locally before my Bangkok-issued extension begins to avoid any potential unnecessary trips to Bangkok for stamped copies.

From the posts above, seems advisable to set up a MeeTaiDai fixed account at Krungri specifically for immigration, and have savings accounts at Bangkok Bank.  I'll be sending cash by Transferwise, and Bangkok Bank is one of three that can accept amounts over 50K baht.

When you get to Korat Imm there's a general enquiry station next to the main office. You start at that general enquiry station, they are very helpful and check your docs and give you a complete list of what you need. When you return to actually do exts or whatever, everything gets checked before you are given a number and go to the main office. I've never waited long before entering that main office, and doing exts or whatever is very fast. I think perhaps due to covid they want to get you on your way asap. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, KannikaP said:

How far from home to Bkk Bank?

You can get a 12 month statement from their Online banking now.

When you attempt that online with Bangkok Bank, you can't get a statement of anything beyond the last 6 months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CMBob said:

When you attempt that online with Bangkok Bank, you can't get a statement of anything beyond the last 6 months.

The do it  six months after and then again just before it is needed for Extension.

3 minutes ago, CMBob said:

If you use their mobile banking app you can request a one year bank statement they send by email.

Go to accounts and select the account you want the statement for and click the 3 dots at the top of the page and you will see request a statement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you use their mobile banking app you can request a one year bank statement they send by email.

Go to accounts and select the account you want the statement for and click the 3 dots at the top of the page and you will see request a statement.

Thanks for that info. I've only tried it with the computer app.

We did the ask for the 12 month statement a week early at Bangkok bank. When we went to pick it up, it was dated a week previously, and they had got my address wrong! I've only been with them for 20 years! Absolutely useless.
We got a 6 month statement at another branch, done immediately, and that was either good enough for Immigration, or they didn't notice!

On 7/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, grain said:

Yep, read the post it's all there....????

Would appreciate if you might later share the flight details including return fare.

I might ned to do same trip later this year, would be valuable to get some fare facts.

I did a one way Sydney to BKK Via S'pore on S'pore Airlines Dec 2021 (when flights were still very limited). AUD645- one way, full meal services etc. 

Thanks and enjoy your trip. 

Edited by scorecard

On 7/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, skatewash said:

The Mee Tae Dai savings account at Krungsri Bank is what I use for my 800k baht (0.9% APR interest).

It is 1.1% interest but if you keep your interest in that account you will go above the 1m and then your interest drops.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:25 PM, grain said:

My only complaint is the ridiculous amount of photocopy pages they require, What I provided them with today resembled a novelist's manuscript. 

Try doing a marriage extension then you'll have reason to complain. the amount of 2 copies of everything i've lost track of but i can tell you i have to sign my name 61 times !!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

It is 1.1% interest but if you keep your interest in that account you will go above the 1m and then your interest drops.

That's not my understanding of how it works.  I believe what are being quoted are marginal interest rates.  So for example, if I have 800,000 baht in the Mee Tae Dai account the first 100,000 baht earns 1.1% interest APR, the next 900,000 baht earns 0.9%.  So, if you had 2,000,999 baht in the account, first 100,000 baht earns 1.1%, next 1,900,000 earns 0.9%, and the last 999 baht earns only 0.5%.

Interest rates quoted from Krungsri Bank: 
https://www.krungsri.com/Krungsri2020/media/Banking-Rate/deposit-rates/en/deposit-rates-21042565-en.pdf

mee tae dai.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Would appreciate if you might later share the flight details including return fare

Keep an eye on Jetstar specials.

I have return flight later this year..$300aud ...x Melb to BMK and back direct. 

Including seat choice. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 7/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, NoDisplayName said:

We'll stop by Korat immigration when we arrive to file the TM-28 for change of residence, maybe take them a fruit basket to say hello.

Strongly suspect that Korat will more likely require a completed TM30.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Keep an eye on Jetstar specials.

I have return flight later this year..$300aud ...x Melb to BMK and back direct. 

Including seat choice. 

Can I please double check that:

- Jetstar - later this yr - Bkk - Melb & return - incl., choose own seat (for class) all up AU$300- 

My preferred destination would be Sydney, but last I checked Jetstar don't fly to Sydney.

But very likely adding cost of a well chosen* domestic flight Melb-Syd & rtn would mean very cheap total fare. (* Well chosen meaning avoid any overnight accommodation cost in Melb.)

Edited by scorecard

51 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My preferred destination would be Sydney, but last I checked Jetstar don't fly to Sydney.

I think you are correct. Never understood why. 

Attached screenshot. 

Note this trip is from Melb return 

Screenshot_20220715-135549.jpg

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I think you are correct. Never understood why. 

Attached screenshot. 

Note this trip is from Melb return 

Screenshot_20220715-135549.jpg

Have you flown Jetstar on this route before?

I guess (repeat guess) i'd not be expecting S'pore Airlines etc., service but who knowns. Five star not always my choice.

I did AirAsia X Chiang Mai to KL to Sydney just before Covid 19 started, the service and meals were quite good. Included a 2.5 hr stopover in the AirAsia lounge in KL, good selection of free items, and the paid food / drinks were excellent and very low cost. Also excellent wheelchair service all through the trip. One way was about AUD400-, not too bad. 

For the fare you got I'd be happy even if meals were extra charges, still a bargain. Or even pack a pile of sandwiches etc. 

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Strongly suspect that Korat will more likely require a completed TM30.

Reading all these forum threads, it seems there are TWO forms required when moving.

The TM-30 to notify foreigner staying at a residence (we can do with Section 38 app), and the TM-28 to notify foreigner change of address (submitted at new immigration office).

I could be mistaken.

19 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

The TM-30 to notify foreigner staying at a residence (we can do with Section 38 app), and the TM-28 to notify foreigner change of address (submitted at new immigration office).

You will only need a TM30 report. At the majority of offices that is thing needed to change addresses.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 3:25 PM, grain said:

, plus one re-entry visa, as I'll be making a trip to Australia in a couple of months. And my 90-day report done for the coming 3 months.  So everything was done within 2 hours. Total cost 3100 Bt

You get the re-entry stamp at the airport easily. 

Why pay in advance in case something changes, did they not ask your dates of travel? 

Edited by Skallywag

14 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Why pay in advance in case something changes, did they not ask your dates of travel? 

It makes perfect sense to me to get the re-entry permit immediately after you get your new annual extension of stay:

1) you are already at the immigration office

2) there's no convenience fee for getting the re-entry permit at the immigration office (while there can be at the airport)

3) your re-entry permit, wherever obtained, is good until your current extension of stay expires

4) while the form may ask for your travel plans there's no penalty for not answering those questions (they are optional) and moreover your answers are ignored by immigration anyway.  That is, you get a re-entry permit good up until your permission to stay expires, not up until when you say you are going to be traveling out of Thailand.

5) the only guarantee that you will be able to do something tomorrow is to have already done it today or yesterday ????
6) one less thing to do at the airport

I have now extended my OA visa at Korat immigration on 3 occasions using the 800,000 baht method.

I have only ever presented a 6 month bank statement available from Bangkok Bank on the day along with photocopies of my passbook covering the 12 month period.

Having said that my passbook shows every individual transaction. There are no amalgamated entries.

My most recent visit was back at the very end of March.

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

It makes perfect sense to me to get the re-entry permit immediately after you get your new annual extension of stay:

Bit depends on immigration office.

Prior to covid I obtained a multi reentry every year.

Wouldn't dream of obtaining another que ticket for reentry permit at CW. 

The airport works a treat.

Have your TM8 already filled in with photo.

Walk in the park. 

14 minutes ago, skatewash said:

1) you are already at the immigration office

2) there's no convenience fee for getting the re-entry permit at the immigration office (while there can be at the airport)

3) your re-entry permit, wherever obtained, is good until your current extension of stay expires

4) while the form may ask for your travel plans there's no penalty for not answering those questions (they are optional) and moreover your answers are ignored by immigration anyway.  That is, you get a re-entry permit good up until your permission to stay expires, not up until when you say you are going to be traveling out of Thailand.

5) the only guarantee that you will be able to do something tomorrow is to have already done it today or yesterday ????
6) one less thing to do at the airport

7)  You might want to pop over to Laos or Cambodia at a land border crossing.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:43 AM, oldcpu said:

I also have a Krungsri account (in addition to Bangkok Bank).

My Thai wife has been pushing me to shift my proof of financial funds (where I keep 800K THB) from Bangkok Bank to Krungsri as she claims that Krungsri will issue the paperwork required (to prove the 800K present for 1 year continuous) on the spot, and not make one wait one week like Bangkok Bank.

Your post confirms what my wife noted.

I may indeed consider doing this change of banks for proof of the funds. The Bangkok Bank requirement to wait a week adds an extra visit to the Bank which would be nice to avoid (the extra trip).

Kasikorn bank also do it on the spot. At least my branch does.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:25 AM, grain said:

And my 90-day report done for the coming 3 months

Dont know what you mean by this? You cant do this in advance and anyway it would be due 90 days after your re-entry from Oz wouldnt it?

On 7/16/2022 at 9:13 PM, SunsetT said:

Dont know what you mean by this? You cant do this in advance and anyway it would be due 90 days after your re-entry from Oz wouldnt it?

It means my next 90-day report wasn't due at the time I was there doing my annual ext, so they did a 90 day for me while I'm there and they had my PP. Means I don't have to go back to do a 90-day report for 3 months, I'm not departing Thailand until early Oct, so next one will be after I return from Oz.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:20 PM, Skallywag said:

In all my years I've never done it at the airport, I'm a very careful planning person and like things all taken care of in advance. But yes, something could crop up and my plans to visit Aust get cancelled, but I'll still have a single entry up my sleeve to use up to end July 2023, so if Aust went back into lockdown or something and I couldn't go, then I could always have a week at Siem Reap or Vientiane. Worse case scenario is I lose 1000 Bt and waste a page in my new PP. But the changes of that happening are so miniscule.  As for dates, yes, there's a space on the form for that, and I put in the actual date that I hold a ticket out of Thailand.

• Like 1