Tourism ministry dual pricing proposal for hotel rates

webfact

Are people in the ministry trying to run hotels and unable to compete? Is this their way to try to screw things up for their competition? As is par for the course this is not the whole story, but thats the only thing I can guess that makes any sense. 

You would think that hotels charge what they have to charge to stay in business or otherwise make it worthwhile to carry on, I would think that doing that would be difficult enough. So, would they actually listen to a committee of busy bodies who don't run hotel businesses who could care less if the hoteliers do well or not telling them how to run their businesses? If I ran a hotel I would hardly pay them any mind "Eh?! Whats that you say? Listen, come back tomorrow, I'm busy!!" Your hotel failing would be a lot scarier than most penalties these buffoons are going to try to cook up. Though you have to ask would or could they just snatch people's hotels from them, cancel their permits or certification or whatever they need?

In any case seems the game is trying to make matters more dificult than they are for the tourism sector. It sends a negative image to the world and image concious Thailand being what it is they certainly must be aware of that.  They want more hotels to fail so they can buy it them up for themselves on the cheap and change the rules back later.

Dual pricing for hotels is way out of line. I can just imagine if the Thai diaspora in the UK suddenly faced such blatant discrimination, we would never hear the end of it with there probably be arrests for even the suggestion of such thought crime. National parks is bad enough, but this would be a huge own goal and just leaves a bad taste in the mouth... plus there are plenty of other options now to Thailand.

The government dinosaurs want to turn Thailand into premier destination, well, a whole boat-load of things have to change... not just increase prices on everything and offer the same non-premier services/experience/scamming, no way. People with money like that just won't stand for the nonsense and sub-par attitude on everything on so many fronts, doesn't work like that... make the experience match the price tag.

7 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Dual pricing for hotels is way out of line. I can just imagine if the Thai diaspora in the UK suddenly faced such blatant discrimination, we would never hear the end of it with there probably be arrests for even the suggestion of such thought crime. National parks is bad enough, but this would be a huge own goal and just leaves a bad taste in the mouth... plus there are plenty of other options now to Thailand.

The government dinosaurs want to turn Thailand into premier destination, well, a whole boat-load of things have to change... not just increase prices on everything and offer the same non-premier services/experience/scamming, no way. People with money like that just won't stand for the nonsense and sub-par attitude on everything on so many fronts, doesn't work like that... make the experience match the price tag.

Apparently many of us missed the fact that prior to Covid Thailand's hotels did dual pricing.  I never saw it throughout my travels however using Booking.Com and Agoda, or even through my rewards programs. The reasoning laid out in the article I have linked indicates they wanted it reduced to attract more tourists which is in direct contrast with the new measures.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/tourism/thailands-hotels-and-tourism-industry-urged-to-end-dual-pricing/

Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Ministry is encouraging hotels in Thailand to offer fair packages to foreign resident, and end dual pricing. The encouragement comes as the country aims to attract 2 million foreign residents to travel more domestically. Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said the ministry urged expatriate associations to travel domestically instead of going abroad. Above all as they may face back-to-back 14-day quarantines when arriving at other destinations and then upon returning to Thailand.

12 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

That was my initial thought , there is no way the booking sites will play along with dual pricing. 

Without knowing the full details of how this proposal will work, is it not possible to offer Thais with a Thai National ID card the 50% discount upon arrival at the hotel and keep things as they are on the booking sites? Also, some of these sites operate a "Book Now Pay Later" business model at the hotel, so it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. Just a thought.

Edited by Senior Player
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:
7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

OK, you're the one who mentioned CNN International.

Now that you advise that you don't watch CNN International, I have no idea why you mentioned it.

Why would you need to know why I mentioned it.  

I didn't say I need to know why you mentioned it, did I? I didn't ask you anything.

4 hours ago, 2009 said:
11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm beginning to see a trend here.

Don't quote me on this but I hear there's apps to help people find airports and one-way flights out of here?

Interesting point.

I wonder how many RETURN tourists there are? Except from sex tourists, of course.

I am able to avoid most things on my list by not going to tourist areas, driving my own car etc. etc.

Whatever makes you happy.

I'm happy here too.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I didn't say I need to know why you mentioned it, did I? I didn't ask you anything.

Then why did you comment on my post and state “I don’t know why?  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 6:37 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand the country who only wants well heeled tourists. Time for the peasants to rise up and take the country back.  If it wants dual pricing on hotels what's next, dual pricing for everything you purchase in 7-11 and so on.  Way to go.

Honestly this country must be broke.

Oh Dear. Still angry.

Something/someone must have boiled your britches badly.

Where are you residing now?

On 7/7/2022 at 11:53 AM, Lacessit said:

I remember one guy in Sukhothai who wanted us to rent one of his rooms without us inspecting them first. We just laughed at him, and walked out. Numskull.

It is often an issue to find staff to accompany you, perhaps leaving reception unattended. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Oh Dear. Still angry.

Something/someone must have boiled your britches badly.

Where are you residing now?

How does it sound like I am angry, you always have to go the extra step to turn whatever I write into a personal attack, nice try sir.  However, the point is why are they looking to raise prices, and no it is not to make it a Top tourist destination, its to make money to fill up the coffers they have plundered, looted, or spent, you can call it what you like. Why does it matter where I live, are you trying to say that by living in Thailand I should have no complaints.  My complaints are validated by many as this Government tries to kill a tourism reboot.  I live between two residences and do travel frequently around the country.  Never Angry, always happy my friend, maybe you should try it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Game? Then at check in it would  be "Cannot" stay with foreigners. Discount cancelled. Checkmate

Room for two persons booked in lead guests name....immaterial who the other guest is........????

48 minutes ago, petermik said:

Room for two persons booked in lead guests name....immaterial who the other guest is........????

Guardman say you "take farang", you pay extra, YOU Pay Now!

Honestly this is one of those ideas that will go nowhere. Mooted, mulled, then forgotten, forever.

Totally unworkable racist and stupid. Major intlnational chains will never sign on to it.

They only way it flies is a domestic travel campaign that provides a local resident discount with no discrimination based on nationality

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

It is often an issue to find staff to accompany you, perhaps leaving reception unattended. 

Fair point; however, that is not my problem. Why should I take a room unseen?

Perhaps the guy did not know how to write a sign in Thai and English saying " Back in 5 minutes."

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Fair point; however, that is not my problem. Why should I take a room unseen?

Maybe so that you can be like the 99.9% of the rest of the population that book a room unseen?

5 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Maybe so that you can be like the 99.9% of the rest of the population that book a room unseen?

You have a link that supports the preposterous statistic you quote? Or are you saying I am more intelligent than 99.9% of the population? Thank you.

Edited by Lacessit

On one trip to Rome I found a great family style restaurant near the Trevi fountain. On the next trip they had two menus, for locals and anyone who looked like a tourist. I was civil to the waitress when she asked how our meal was, but was mad and never went back. I'll check it out this year when I'm back in town, see if they are still doing it.

4 minutes ago, Enzian said:

On one trip to Rome I found a great family style restaurant near the Trevi fountain. On the next trip they had two menus, for locals and anyone who looked like a tourist. I was civil to the waitress when she asked how our meal was, but was mad and never went back. I'll check it out this year when I'm back in town, see if they are still doing it.

Thailand has the propensity to do the same thing in the tourist areas with dual menus.  I have had a few try it on, but after speaking to them in Thai and asking for the Thai menu they usually relent, if not I up and walk away.  I am not a tourist I tell them in my best Thai.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thailand has the propensity to do the same thing in the tourist areas with dual menus.  I have had a few try it on, but after speaking to them in Thai and asking for the Thai menu they usually relent, if not I up and walk away.  I am not a tourist I tell them in my best Thai.

I don't have a problem with menus that are in Thai and English, offering a choice of Thai or Western cuisine. I accept the Western dishes may be more expensive because of the time and materials required to make them.

I still miss a restaurant on the 118 in Chiang Mai that closed during the pandemic. The cook made a spaghetti marinara that was to die for, and at 150 baht it was an absolute bargain.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My Thai wife and me are living in Pattaya and I am not aware of any resturant here doing this.

I suspect this is because I do not know and not because they dont do it. Do you mind PM me a short list of venues where this has to be taken into account according to your experience ?. Easy for us to have a Thai menu only.

Thank you very much - this will help to teach them to do it properly if we ask for the Thai version once presented with an English menu.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't have a problem with menus that are in Thai and English, offering a choice of Thai or Western cuisine. I accept the Western dishes may be more expensive because of the time and materials required to make them.

I still miss a restaurant on the 118 in Chiang Mai that closed during the pandemic. The cook made a spaghetti marinara that was to die for, and at 150 baht it was an absolute bargain.

You missed the point, The Menus are the same items, one in Thai language at Thai prices and the other in English with tourist prices.

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

My Thai wife and me are living in Pattaya and I am not aware of any resturant here doing this.

I suspect this is because I do not know and not because they dont do it. Do you mind PM me a short list of venues where this has to be taken into account according to your experience ?. Easy for us to have a Thai menu only.

Thank you very much - this will help to teach them to do it properly if we ask for the Thai version once presented with an English menu.

Sure let me dig up the name of the open air Thai restaurants and small shops we have had this occur at in Phuket, and here in Bangkok, Yeah not happening......believe what you will.  Agree to disagree if you believe it does not occur.  In fact do a search on this site for the subject, you will find it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Whatever makes you happy.

I'm happy here too.

You don't sound like it with your comments 

Really? Do you see me moaning about Thailand? I am already on some member's 'ignore' lists because they perceive me as as the consummate Thai apologist. I just see life here as it is and acknowledge that there's nothing I can do or say to change much of anything. I moan about siblings not picking up after them or not closing the gate properly. You know, the stuff that affects me and I can mostly control or change?

Nothing makes me happier on this medium than rattling the bars on Thai basher's self-imposed cages. I guess there will always be moaners who like to moan about everything. However, I have a soft spot for the moaners who like to moan about everything but then claim they avoid exposing themselves to the things they're still moaning about. That about right @2009?

Even better are the ones that have abandoned all hope, forsaken Thailand, fled to their homelands or third countries... and still moan here about Thai things. You lot, too numerous to mention, are real special.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sure let me dig up the name of the open air Thai restaurants and small shops we have had this occur at in Phuket, and here in Bangkok, Yeah not happening......believe what you will.  Agree to disagree if you believe it does not occur.  In fact do a search on this site for the subject, you will find it.

Thanks, although this would be for my "Travel" folder. We stay in Pattaya. Accidentally we have planned a one week restaurant tour in Bangkok shortly. I believe it does occur - who told you I do not ? But rarely in the restaurants we will visit in Bangkok for if we go there only to eat then these will be high priced venues which cannot afford to loose their reputation (Michelin star category).

For Phuket I believe it right away for many of the restaurants. Phuket used to be a nice place. Last time I have been there before the tsunami and from the stories I have heard we would rather refrain from going there ever again. Same for Koh Samui.

In Pattaya they might do it as well but I dont know where. There are as well many restaurants where the items are described both in Thai and English on the same menu. Then there is no danger of double pricing (or is it ?)

I will do a search on aseannow as well as you suggested.

Edited by moogradod

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Really? Do you see me moaning about Thailand? I am already on some member's 'ignore' lists because they perceive me as as the consummate Thai apologist. I just see life here as it is and acknowledge that there's nothing I can do or say to change much of anything. I moan about siblings not picking up after them or not closing the gate properly. You know, the stuff that affects me and I can mostly control or change?

Nothing makes me happier on this medium than rattling the bars on Thai basher's self-imposed cages. I guess there will always be moaners who like to moan about everything. However, I have a soft spot for the moaners who like to moan about everything but then claim they avoid exposing themselves to the things they're still moaning about. That about right @2009?

Even better are the ones that have abandoned all hope, forsaken Thailand, fled to their homelands or third countries... and still moan here about Thai things. You lot, too numerous to mention, are real special.

Are you mistaking me for someone else sir.  Fleeing Thailand, where have I ever indicated that.  I think your confused, live here, and enjoy like you do.  Sure I moan about stuff but then most of it is as you say is out of our hands.  Enjoy your weekend.  Off to enjoy the day at a rooftop eatery before the rain settles in again here in Bangkok.

7 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thanks, although this would be for my "Travel" folder. We stay in Pattaya. Accidentally we have planned a one week restaurant tour in Bangkok shortly. I believe it does occur - who told you I do not ? But rarely in the restaurants we will visit in Bangkok for if we go there only to eat then these will be high priced venues which cannot afford to loose their reputation (Michelin star category).

For Phuket I believe it right away for many of the restaurants. Phuket used to be a nice place. Last time I have been there before the tsunami and from the stories I have heard we would rather refrain from going there ever again. Same for Koh Samui.

In Pattaya they might do it as well but I dont know where. There are as well many restaurants where the items are described both in Thai and English on the same menu. Then there is no danger of double pricing (or is it ?)

I will do a search on aseannow as well as you suggested.

Yes the regular upscale eateries do not have the double priced menus I indicated, those are more of the street side venues we have dined at to eat the traditional foods.  The upper 5 star venues have never been different menus, and the food is priced accordingly like our dinner the other night at a nice French eatery near us.  What I have found is that dressing appropriately is required and a polo shirt and slacks is frowned upon....lol