Thailand's modern "international" standard Zebra crossings: But will drivers actually stop?

webfact

584561-768x512.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported from Kalasin in the NE of Thailand where an upgraded Zebra Crossing has been installed. 

The Highways Department called it "international standard" after the improvements were made on the Siwalai - Samrongkiat Road, Route 2127.

Something needed to be done after a Bangkok eye doctor was mown down by a speeding cop earlier in the year. 

584563.jpg

But the question is, with all the improvements will motorists and bike riders actually bother to stop?

The crossing has lots of zigzag lines, something called a "refuge island" in the middle coned off, signage and better lighting and the area has been spruced up a bit. 

Drivers in Thailand still habitually ignore people waiting at Zebra crossings. 

Lack of training and lack of police enforcement have been blamed as two factors. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

584560.jpg
584562-1024x575.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

My ignorance is obviously shining, as I wouldn't know what the hell that was if approaching.   Did a paint can spill over on the back of a truck ?

Until reading AN, I (Yank from Philly, PA, USA), didn't realize, you are actually supposed to stop at crosswalks, and actually felt the person responsible for safety, was the one actually using & crossing the street.

Do understand, pedestrians have the right of way, but equate that to speed limit signs, which almost everyone ignores.

Back in USA, I never expect any vehicle to yield to me crossing the street.  Only exception is if in a school zone, as all yield there, no matter.

Looking at some oops vids of EU, UK, I now realize some people actually just enter the crosswalk, not even looking for traffic, expecting vehicles to stop.  A bit nuts in my world, but hey, what do I know.

Here, TH, don't think it's going to work.  Myself, and most Thais I encounter on the road, when I'm being courteous, won't cross if I'm slowing down for a crosswalk.  More times than not, look at me like I'm nuts when I do stop.  Others, won't cross, as probably, like myself, don't trust the vehicles coming up behind the courteous driver that did stop.

So if I'm standing at a crosswalk, I'm not crossing until all traffic has passed, with few exceptions.  If people actually started stopping, it would sort of cause an unnecessary traffic jam, and possibly more problems than solving.

Along with some of these crosswalks are in the silliest place, on blind curves, across 6 lanes of high speed traffic.  Just mind boggling.

When in Krung Thep, I cross at the corner, and on the green light.  Or if mid-block, all traffic has to have passed before I'm stepping off a curb.

Last time at Krung Thep recently, I was sort of paying attention, or trying to, with crosswalks, and most standing curbside, had no intentions of entering the crosswalk.  So didn't see the point in stopping.  A few I did stop, and most were surprised, some crossed, apprehensively, others looked behind me, and gave it a pass, as traffic was approaching.  Actually felt a little stupid being courteous, as most didn't expect it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

They try hard,but they know it will never work.A previous comment is right build a bridge over the road and they will use it.A zebra crossing,why should we stop what is it for.put up a bridge then people can use it and we don,t have to slow down on a road built for transport

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They were drunk when they drew the lines on the road??? It is very unpractically and nobody will stop or even be aware that that there is a zebra crossing... Educate kids in primary school, for education license and enforce the stopping by policemen.... Much better than this kind of rubbish

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

It's never going to be enough. Add Belisha beacons so drivers are aware of the crossing from a good distance and change the law to make it an offence not to stop if someone wants to cross the road

I agree plus could have traffic lights with cameras, needed to stop drivers ignoring them. Also could extend use of red flags (originally from Japan) to establish pedestrian precedence, in holders each end of the crossing.

• Like 1

I'd never trust drivers here to stop, even if the crossings have traffic lights. Better to cross the road as you always have done, with eyes open in the front and back of your head, at least you know exactly what to expect then, crossings are no better than a roulette wheel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

They try hard,but they know it will never work.A previous comment is right build a bridge over the road and they will use it.A zebra crossing,why should we stop what is it for.put up a bridge then people can use it and we don,t have to slow down on a road built for transport

And plenty of pedestrians will be too lazy to climb the steps up to the overhead walkway, they will continue to run between the traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

In many - mainly European - countries cars will stop even when you are just approaching the crossing. No police about. It is a matter of education and decency. Thais are normally polite and modest, but unfortunately turn into selfish savages when driving a vehicle.

Camera's would help for those crossings that have lights. But only if they have consequences....

And, the consequences should be severe..

Cops visit the house with a photo of the 'crime', sign to say will pay in 7 days. Don't pay? send a truck to pick up the car, 7 more days and still don't pay?  Auction the car or crush it.

And, I don't care who your father is????????.

Edited by overherebc

27 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

In many - mainly European - countries cars will stop even when you are just approaching the crossing. No police about. It is a matter of education and decency. Thais are normally polite and modest, but unfortunately turn into selfish savages when driving a vehicle.

Camera's would help for those crossings that have lights. But only if they have consequences....

Same in Australia, 99% of drivers take zebra crossing laws very seriously, if a driver is caught the fines are very severe, 2nd time and license suspended for an extended period. 

One year back I was in Australia. I took my village bus to a big shopping complex, bus driver stopped for pedestrians but a car went through luckily missing a couple of pedestrians.

The village bus driver is a retired airline pilot. As soon as the pedestrians had all passed he followed the errant car and asked a bus passenger to take several pgotos of the errant car, them bus driver safely passed the errant car with many bus passengers taking photos of the errant driver.

Back at the village the bus driver asked all the passengers who had pgotos to quickly send them to him. He quickly packaged all the photos and sent them to the police.

The case was picked up by the media, the errant driver lost his license for 1 year and fined A$2,500-, it turned out the errant car driver was on a second offence for the same thing.   

• Like 2