Thais set to pay record five baht a unit in new electricity charges from September

webfact

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Since when was half a baht = 2 satang?

Oops I meant to say a Few satang more....like a 50 satang coin or a few 10 satang coins

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, ThePugAndMe said:

How is the US sanctioning Russia (whilst buying Russian sold gas from India at a premium) and forcing EU countries to do the same the effects of Russia's stupidity?

You have a link exposing that. I know Biden sold gas to China...

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Another blow to those struggling at the foot of the ladder, no compassion coming from the Muppets in charge as usual because they don't give a **** about ordinary people.

No schemes to help them ...

Disgraceful.

Those with low consumption are charged lower rates, I'd suggest that is one way that the low income/low users are assisted but you probably don't give a **** about that scheme's facts.  Disgraceful.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Don't sweat it. My cousin living back in Gloucester has just seen the monthly direct debit for her electricity and gas usage rise from £85/month to £265. And unless something miraculous happens before October, that £265 will probably rise to something like £350/month when the price cap is raised again. And she lives in one of those Barratt's matchbox houses, not a gigantic mansion, and doesn't even keep the place very warm in my opinion, I have to keep my fleece on in the house whenever I visit. So an increase from 4.5 Baht or whatever to a bit over 5 Baht is far from a disaster.

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

Are they talking about 5 baht for the maximum price per unit(over 400kwh)  or 5 baht for the minimum price per unit (under 150kwh)?

The link suggests the increase may be 90-100 Satang per unit.  Obviously, they are not going to almost double the rate currently charged for low consumption and leave the high consumption consumers untouched!

600 baht a month for electricity in a house with a/c on briefly over 1 hour or less to take humidity away at times in one room...stunningly cheap vs what I was paying in the UK with gas/electricity up 50,000 baht a year or more on old bills with cheapest supllier for my area.

Standing charge on gas/electric in UK alone more than my bill here.

It is of course another pressure on breadline income people here - and I get that.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The poorest get 50 units for free.

And believe it or, many don't climb above.

The rest of your babble is for the bin.

Don't think that's correct...

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/_default/Documents/Rate2015.pdf

Maybe that's out of date but I can't see a more recent official one from the PEA.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's a 10 Satang coin?

Old money

1935 Thailand 10 Satang Nickel Coin XF+ | eBay

But not really, as you can find your information here as well

https://www.leftovercurrency.com/exchange/thai-baht/thai-baht-coins/10-satang-coin-thailand/

10 satang coin Thailand accepted for exchange

The Royal Thai Mint issued Thai Baht coins in 9 different denominations, including this 10 Satang coin Thailand. They are part of the Thai Baht coins series. The Royal Thai Mint started issuing these 0.1 Thai Baht coins in 1987. They are currently still in circulation.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

Not far off. I think around 4.5 THB per unit is the average for me. So can expect a 10-15% increase. Not the end of the world

My last month's bill was 198bht for 44 units ......... so not a big concern for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The poorest get 50 units for free.

And believe it or, many don't climb above.

The rest of your babble is for the bin.

They get it free only if they use less than 50 units.

I know as I used to live in a house where every other month was free.

• Like 1

Hmm ... so 4.99 ????

That would actually big a petty big leap ... 10 ish % from my last bill @ 3000 @ 4.45

and 3200 the month prior.

Come on Solar ... hopefully installed before the end of the month.  Next week would be nice.

• Like 1

I understand it could be a hardship for some,  but compared to my home country this place is really inexpensive.

Back home:   Electric 15 to 20k a month.  Water and sewer is crazy 3 to 4k a month.

Here I pay around 2,000 b every month for electric and my water 140 b.  Water seems so cheap here but not drinkable.

I never check the bill for the unit cost here just pay it.

A great many Thais (and likely many foreigners, some here on TVF) are already paying 6-9 Baht per KWH Unit as charged by their unscrupulous landords from who they rent rooms or apartments. Many people would love to get the 5 Baht government rate but cannot.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1