Time for a new Samsung phone - which to get?

Sheryl

I've got a J7 which is of course pretty old and it is time for a new phone. Not looking for anything fancy and most of what I read onine is either Greek to me or unimportant so hoping I can get soem pracrtical tips here.

My priorities are:

- stability/reliability

- long battery life

- dual SIM is must, triple would be great if any have them

- lots of storage space and by that I mean free storage space not space already used up by pre-installed apps that I cannot uninstall.

-phone will work on US phone networks (turned out my J7 was not compatible with some, which was a problem when back in the US).

-pricewise, not more than mid-range

suggestions?

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

pricewise, not more than mid-range

I don't have an answer, but because there are so many models maybe lets narrow this down.

Do you want to buy the cheapest you can get which fulfils your needs?

Or do you have a number, let's say 8000 THB in mind and all up to that amount is ok?

Personally I think the approach with the amount is the easiest. I.e. you look which models cost between i.e. 6900 to 8000 THB. And then you compare them and chose what is most important for you like memory and battery life.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had the J7 and once i upgraded i realised it was pretty basic especially the camera, i much prefer Xiaomi Redmi Note for less baht, I've got 9, now 11 is out

That Xiaomi K50i is amazing--- they compare it to the new iphone & & it beats it in every dept --- about 9-- 11K but you can get a lot cheaper if you decide to swap internet providers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i much prefer Xiaomi Redmi Note for less baht, I've got 9, now 11 is out

Just in general: Please don't assume that higher number (of the "same" model) always means better. It's not!

I recently also looked up details from Xiaomi phones. I found one which I liked, that was not in stock, and then I found the "same" model, just with a higher number. I thought great, let's get that one. But looking closer, some of the specs of the newer higher number model were not as good as the older model.

It's difficult...

8 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Samsung A73 - Dual Sim version.

Will it also work in Philippines/Vietnam?  I would like a dual SIM with 5G that works in all 3 countries.  It's harder to get 5G support in all 3 than for 4G/LTE.

Finding phones that support all the bands I want is the hardest part.  Specs for all the different country variants are not always accurate or easy to find in one place.  

I wish there was a website where I could type in the countries I want it to work in and it will come up with all the options and what bands it supports.  Yes, I know there are a few websites that kinda sorta do that but they are not always up to date and accurate so I don't always find them that useful.

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

That Xiaomi K50i is amazing--- they compare it to the new iphone & & it beats it in every dept --- about 9-- 11K but you can get a lot cheaper if you decide to swap internet providers.

It's not out yet.  Also, according to the preliminary specs I found it's got an IPS screen, not AMOLED like the 11.  IPS screens make it harder to see anything in daylight.  Of course any specs available right now are  irrelevant so not even worth talking about it.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Will it also work in Philippines/Vietnam?  I would like a dual SIM with 5G that works in all 3 countries.  It's harder to get 5G support in all 3 than for 4G/LTE.

Finding phones that support all the bands I want is the hardest part.  Specs for all the different country variants are not always accurate or easy to find in one place.  

I wish there was a website where I could type in the countries I want it to work in and it will come up with all the options and what bands it supports.  Yes, I know there are a few websites that kinda sorta do that but they are not always up to date and accurate so I don't always find them that useful.

I've travelled throughout Asia, including Vietnam and Philippines, as well as in US and Europe, and not had any issues connecting to local networks.

Years ago I had issues in Korea and US, and had to rent a local phone, but not had any problems in last 5 years of extensive travel.

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I've travelled throughout Asia, including Vietnam and Philippines, as well as in US and Europe, and not had any issues connecting to local networks.

Years ago I had issues in Korea and US, and had to rent a local phone, but not had any problems in last 5 years of extensive travel.

That is not what I asked.  Just about any phone will connect to just about any network using GSM or 3G.  Doesn't mean you can connect via LTE and especially 5G to get the higher data speeds.

Edited by shdmn

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

I found it's got an IPS screen, not AMOLED like the 11

Thanks shdmn---I hadn't a clue what a IPS-or Amoled screen was, looking for a new mobile, got an older Iphone at the moment & was impressed at a friends Xiaom -Not the model we are talking about--his cost just 5,000 baht,  so, as I am a computer blond on these things someone said look at "Hi Thec" magazine they are doing a comparisons-- They have the phone &  they talk about the iphone 13 new A15 Bionic chip -which according to An Tu Tu (which I have never heard of but Wiki says is the " bench marking tool commonly used to benchmark smartphones and other devices". ) & it beats that bionic chip, & they rattle of a lot of other stat's --which lose me, but the price didn't--if its anywhere near the top and can be produced and sold for about a third of what a new iphone would cost--

My use of the phone would be vastly limited --(phone calls and snaps)  so, like my friend- I would probably look at a lower model anyway.

• Like 1

A couple of things to consider that have not yet been.

What is the test result if the phone is dropped from the standard test height onto concrete from 1.5 metres?

If it is put underwater, as in dropped down the loo or inadvertently washed with the clothes in the WM; will it still be OK?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of things to consider that have not yet been.

What is the test result if the phone is dropped from the standard test height onto concrete from 1.5 metres?

If it is put underwater, as in dropped down the loo or inadvertently washed with the clothes in the WM; will it still be OK?

I dropped my Samsung J7 once in the condo and it died screen cracked all over and went black, after that i decided to avoid Samsung, Motorola and Xiaomi both much better value

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I dropped my Samsung J7 once in the condo and it died screen cracked all over and went black, after that i decided to avoid Samsung, Motorola and Xiaomi both much better value

Quite!

Forget looks, forget the Gees, forget slo-mo camera, forget sound quality. Will it still work if the wife throws it across the room while in a hissy?

Bought mine in Laos eight years ago. Dropped it, washed it and sat on it. Still going as good as new. Only 600 baht too.

Edited by owl sees all

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have an older iphone and my wife brought me a rubber-or- silicon case, with these small digits on that take the shock--the Chinese copy's are as cheap as chips---& as a renowned fumbler--can say it definitely works. .

Dropping it down the toilet---no I have yet to reach that bench mark.................:coffee1:

Rugged Smartphone Cases to Survive (Almost) Any Drop

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So you dropped a phone and the screen cracked so you concluded it must be the manufacturer? Last time I checked, glass screens have a tendency to break when you drop a phone, doesn't matter who makes them?  I have dropped my Samsung galaxy S8 probably about a dozen times.  No cracks, still works.  Not once did I think that is because Samsung has sprinkled this particular model with magic fairy dust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

So you dropped a phone and the screen cracked so you concluded it must be the manufacturer? Last time I checked, glass screens have a tendency to break when you drop a phone, doesn't matter who makes them?  I have dropped my Samsung galaxy S8 probably about a dozen times.  No cracks, still works.  Not once did I think that is because Samsung has sprinkled this particular model with magic fairy dust.

It broke so easy and totally shattered the screen, i expected better because after all you pay more for Samsung. My Motorola and Xiaomi were much more hardy after a drop and yes it's rare for me to drop a phone 

I am now sold on Xiaomi I have the note 9 pro which is 2 years old and I still get 36 hours on a full charge and I am a very heavy user. Takes only 45 mins in my case to recharge to 80 % as well. I was a Samsung user but no longer. Camera is fantastic as well and these 2 things mean the most for me when looking for a phone. Camera and battery life.

23 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

I am now sold on Xiaomi I have the note 9 pro which is 2 years old and I still get 36 hours on a full charge and I am a very heavy user. Takes only 45 mins in my case to recharge to 80 % as well. I was a Samsung user but no longer. Camera is fantastic as well and these 2 things mean the most for me when looking for a phone. Camera and battery life.

Your Note 9 Pro battery seems much better than my Note 9 battery, assuming the battery is the same maybe the processor is different

I had a J1 6 and similar criteria for next one. I went with the Samsung A21 which I picked up as ex display or somesuch (has box) for ฿4,450 on Shoppee a couple of months ago. Just checked - there are 38 still left- would link for you but that is probably not allowed. Big 5 something fast charging battery and 128MB storage. stayed with Samsung coz of file transfer software.

I bought the J1 6 coz it was small and am finding the A21 big and heavy but they are all about this size - what nobody makes is small and hi spec?

Edited by mokwit

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It broke so easy and totally shattered the screen, i expected better because after all you pay more for Samsung. My Motorola and Xiaomi were much more hardy after a drop and yes it's rare for me to drop a phone 

Might want to consider Xiaomi/POCO, as very durable.  I have the POCO X3, great camera.  Apparently can take all kinds of abuse.  This vid actually hard to watch.  Takes a box cutter to he screen & camera.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is that really important for you?

IMHO if you have to worry about dropping your phone in the loo or washing it in the washing machine then there are bigger issues to address - and not about the phone.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Poster asked about Samsung phones not Chinese ones!

Is there  reason no one mentions Iphones? I am genuinely puzzled, as for me anything tablet shaped must run IOS and have an apple logo.

While I can [barely] tolerate Dell and Windows for stuff with keyboards. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Is there  reason no one mentions Iphones? I am genuinely puzzled, as for me anything tablet shaped must run IOS and have an apple logo.

While I can [barely] tolerate Dell and Windows for stuff with keyboards. 

For me: Because with iphones processing is limited to what chip is in the phone whereas with andrioid you access the processing power of Google's servers.