Tourist levy hits further turbulence with fears it could harm airline’s effort to boost flight numbers

webfact

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

But only 11.3% of that 300 baht will be for insurance. So somewhere in the region of 33-34 baht. The rest will disappear down a mysterious sinkhole. Never to be seen again.

Yes ... 'tourist infrastructure projects' opens up a world of creative bookkeeping.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dadofsak said:

I think it is a good thing insurance for all , 300 bht is not a lot in the scheme of things, if you cannot afford 300 bht then you shouldn't be travelling.  I remember years ago there was an entry fee to thailand added to you plane fare.

The point is it being obligatory and also discriminatory. It’s pathetic. Some people will avoid the place because of this and the average Thai will lose, but it doesn’t matter because the t’wat that came up with the scam will be quids in. 

Edited by daveAustin

33 minutes ago, sambum said:

"The fee will provide automatic insurance cover with 11.3% of the money from it going to pay for limited medical insurance coverage for visitors with a ceiling of ฿500,000 for 30 days"

So approximately 34 baht to provided insurance for 30 days with a ceiling of 500,000 baht.?

That makes it 400 baht for a years cover (360 days)

How come my last quote for a year's cover was in excess of 120,000 baht???? Just askin'!

It's just accident insurance, not health insurance. I have 500,000 baht accident insurance. It costs 9900 baht/year. So this would actually be a bargain. Wish I could buy my yearly accident insurance through Immigration for a similar price.

• Like 1

You don't need to be an underwriter to realise that 30-odd baht is not going to give a lot of coverage. It's still unclear what's being covered but those of you thinking it'll replace the need for travel insurance might need to think again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeybik said:

Just a wild guess here but the UK folks probably first sat down to discuss the issue with the major carriers that would be tasked with collecting and paying the fee instead of floating it 10 different ways in the press first.

You are quite right, why on earth look for feedback, just set it up, impose the tax and take the flak

After all if everybody will accept £80+ why worry about 300 baht on a few foreigners.

5 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

The post- covid are should be used to attract tourists with attractive offers, that differentiate from competitive countries in the region. 

However, what does Thailand do? Like always they gain negative attention with their brain-fart ideas. 

i really wish that airlines just boycott that <deleted> and simply don’t care. Thai officials would then be stupid enough to install booths before/ after immigration to collect that fee, which would result in even more negative attention/ chaos.

Like they had in the good old days before Suvarnabhumi Airport, were everybody was flying from Don Mueang and all these backpackers spent their last baht the night before on Nana and soi cowboy and then had to beg to leave the country. 

That's why it got included into the ticket price to reduce the attention from the stranded and detained tourists.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:57 AM, Excel said:

Not really because that would mean the local IO's etc get the cash. The main intent for TAT and the government I suggest is that the billions that this charge would bring in is syphoned off and distributed to the government/TAT elite only.

Yes, I had rather overlooked the benefits of digitising the system...

19 hours ago, it is what it is said:

most airports impose taxes and levys on passengers, you generally dont notice these charges because they are automatically included in the ticket price. it was more obvious in thailand as they were late adopters to this centralised charging system clinging to the archaic booths at airports.

But this Insurance scam is on top of the already introduced levies?

23 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

- 300b to get in

- 700b to get out

- Dual price when you book a hotel

- Dual price when you want to go to a National Park or anything that you want to visit

- Rip off by Taxis or any kind of transportation that you need to deal the price upfront.

Yeap, the list can keep going if I keep thinking... 5555555

1000 baht for re-entry permit?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sambum said:

That makes it 400 baht for a years cover (360 days)

How come my last quote for a year's cover was in excess of 120,000 baht???? Just askin'!

That's because tourists are younger and it's only valid for 30 days.????

When I go to immigration with 1900 baht in hand for a 30 day extension on my entry visa (permission to stay), should I fork over another 300 for that fee again ?  Hopefully only 35 baht extra, just for the 30 days of insurance.