Motorists beware! Points system in operation next year - lose all your points and licence suspended 3 months

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Just another empty threat. Not having a valid license is unlikely to stop many Thai  people from driving.

Correct. I would say 40% of drivers on the road don't have a valid license and it is just another way for the RTP to make extra tea money.

36 minutes ago, connda said:

Motorists beware! Points system in operation next year - lose all your points and licence suspended 3 months

How many points are taken away for driving without a license?
0How many Thais drive with a license in the first place?

80 % where I live, and as I said before, hard to give a license to a 7 year old biker.

4 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Bar owners would go broke if there was strict drink driving enforcement, most Farangs I know drink and drive on a regular basis, of course none will be members here, they never are. 

It will affect even drunk Farang drivers if they take their cars or motorbikes away. 

This would be an improvement IF police actually pulled people/dangerous drivers over and ticketed them. I've NEVER seen a reckless driver get pulled over in over 6 years of living in Thailand. 
I only see traffic roadblock checks. I really do hope that they enforce this, but it's going to take a lot of changes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Just another empty threat. Not having a valid license is unlikely to stop many Thai  people from driving.

So many Thai people don't have a license, I was under the impression that the only people required to comply with the laws of the land were Farangs whether or not they were resident or Tourists. You don't have to go back any further than the Covid rules of compliance to see this. 

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow, so you have to get caught drunk driving 4 times (assuming you can't pay off the cop that caught you, otherwise more than 4) before you lose your licence.

Sounds like these 12 points are going to be pretty hard to lose but I'm sure drivers will be doing their best up and down the country ????.

Pretty sure that's not what the article said. It's jail after the second offence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Surasak said:

So I get 12 points on the motorcycle licence, and another 12 points on the car licence?

No.

This points system brings Thailand more or less into line with many other countries who have proven that the points system is effective as a deterrent.

• Like 1

12 strikes you're out -- cops push for licence points system. This was a headline in the Thai news on 24th March 2018.

Also Dec 7th 2019 in Phuket news....Safety on point: Demerit point penalties for traffic violations to start

Edited by NE1
  • Haha 1

Just now, digger70 said:

Seriously, Who and how are they going to police all those infringements . 

How are they going to take points away from the Thousands of people who haven't got a licence ? Straight to jail?

In general it extends the period of disqualification for a licence and increases the fines. This is how I'd imagine the system works. My educated guess is based on Thai law being generally similar to that of the UK.

• Like 1

It's one point for speeding, ignoring a Zebra crossing, not wearing a helmet or seatbelt or using a phone while driving.Two points is for going through red lights or going the wrong way.

It's about time! Thai people are notorious for breaking traffic rules, I've seen many cases of the above.

Even when I am going straight on a main road, they will cut in front of you (from a small lane) and you have to make an emergency break. Many times, a near accident would have happened.

Long-term residents (foreigners) are also guilty of the above traffic violations.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Where did you learn arithmetic. 12 points, then HOW MANY times can '4 points' be deducted

Depends how many licences you have. I have two, one for motorcycles and one for cars ????.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Where did you learn arithmetic. 12 points, then HOW MANY times can '4 points' be deducted

Possibly more times than you think... If you have a particularly bad day and get breath tested positive 5 times in a single day, you could have 20 points deducted.

It does happen as well. In the UK there are 46 motorists (as at june 2021) still allowed to drive with over 30 points on their licence, one having 68 points.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-9685045/There-46-motorists-UK-roads-30-POINTS.html

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Baseline fines are being changed from 1,000 baht to 4,000 baht from September.

I'm more concerned about this line. Getting done for speeding where there are silly speed limits could get rather expensive (Like on the Sirat outer ring road, Road No.1 etc)

More top class Thai journalism. Or am I missing something?

Regarding the points system drivers who lose all their points will have their licence suspended initially for 9 months. 

Headline:

Screenshot 2022-07-20 163733.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

It's one point for speeding, ignoring a Zebra crossing, not wearing a helmet or seatbelt or using a phone while driving.

Add 'Riding a motorcycle on a footpath' and 'Police are exempt all of the above'

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Bar owners would go broke if there was strict drink driving enforcement, most Farangs I know drink and drive on a regular basis, of course none will be members here, they never are. 

Even if caught they can likely get away with it with a relatively modest payment to the correct source. Their problem comes when it results in a serious accident ,as it will for some and then there’s a wholly different and unenviable set of circumstances for a farang that’ll make them regret ever having come here in the first place.