Makro Error

wharria

On 7/20/2022 at 3:34 PM, wharria said:

Went to Makro yesterday

I don't go to Makro that often. 

I like the 6am opening times so I pop in to pick up a few items if I'm on the road early. 

Each visit the checkout chicks asks if I have a card. 

Any benefits to having a Makro card? 

21 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't go to Makro that often. 

I like the 6am opening times so I pop in to pick up a few items if I'm on the road early. 

Each visit the checkout chicks asks if I have a card. 

Any benefits to having a Makro card? 

Did not know you could shop in Makro without a card, actually I did.  There are rewards given if you buy something they have some kind of special on.  Additionally, the parking is free as they will scan your parking card at the register and off you go, no payment at the gate kiosk when leaving the parking lot, well in BKK at least.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:34 AM, wharria said:

when I queried the bill I got a shrug of the shoulders,

Already an indication something is not right. She is annoyed by it, why?

Of course then find out something was wrong and she should act like interested and act on it then.

She is caught. Just theater mentality. Maybe she indeed knows, but it is manager lifting customers? And the profit of the scam is divided by all workers? 2203 Baht difference between the 2 bills. if you do that, say 50 customers a day, it is an extra profit of 110000 baht-ish/day ! Up to a million or more a week if you add some other products to it with the same scam.

Maybe wrong label on package or on purpose?  Everything is possible.

Once experienced in Phuket in a 7/11 and I got to less money back and claimed it. Then all at a sudden the register was broke and they couldnt retrieve and more of that bla bla bla. Just theater mentality.

However they gave me the right amount of money back then. So they KNEW!

In fact they already took the extra money, as a piece of it came out of her bra ! So that was even more stupid for them to do so. Really right in front of me and other customers. She did quick, but i was watching.

Money,....it's a drag.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's interesting, but I bet you are not about 60 Ks from your nearest Makro.

As a matter of interest, how do you keep note of all their items and prices?

The closest Makro to me is 24 kilometers.

When you shop online it shows the prices.   After you pay online you also get an email listing each item which also shows the costs plus a little picture of the item too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Those receipt checkers at the exits are the one thing I dislike the most about Makro. I was surprised to read your story about them actually finding an error as I have never experienced or observed them catching any errors with me or any other shoppers. I've long been convinced that it's a charade done largely to deter shoplifting, and I resent being forced to stand in place while they paw over my purchases.

Yes have to agree with you there, that said, this particular chap just looked at the trolley and probably looked for the big ticket item as noticed one box instead of two boxes of beer, fortunately for me. Never ever had anyone sift through the trolley, just the usual half asleep looking as if they give a rats a$$.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did not know you could shop in Makro without a card, actually I did.  There are rewards given if you buy something they have some kind of special on.  Additionally, the parking is free as they will scan your parking card at the register and off you go, no payment at the gate kiosk when leaving the parking lot, well in BKK at least.

In Bangkok you still have to pay for the parking?

Pattaya - Rayong - Laemchabang have parking cards cancelled years ago.

Rewards you get the same without the Makro card, as they get printed at the bottom of your receipt.

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Those receipt checkers at the exits are the one thing I dislike the most about Makro.

Same here, I hate shops doing that.

My understanding is they do it because they don't trust their cashiers, so they shouldn't make it the problem of their customers.

• Like 1

Whenever I shop in the big supermarkets here in Thailand where the produce or meat sections weigh & put a sticker on the item, I always check the sticker before walking away, on occasion the worker will misidentify the item. 

25 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

Same here, I hate shops doing that.

My understanding is they do it because they don't trust their cashiers, so they shouldn't make it the problem of their customers.

also it's a wholesale cash&carry place cashier could be making mistake ringing 1 case vs 1item, or not knowing how many items are in a carton

It used to be for members only, hence the member's card, so it might even be a condition of membership that you allow receipt checking but they have been lax in not requiring membership for a long time

I had something similar in Lidl in Wakefield some 6 years ago. I had calculated in my head that my bill would be approx £9,  but the till showed over £50. The till operator (a middled aged woman) would not budge on the grounds that "the computor does make mistakes". I asked for the manager and got store security instead, I persisted and another middle aged woman appeared, took one look at my bag and announced "something is wrong", took it to another till and rescanned. It turned up the correct price. I still do not know what the first operator did but her adamant attitude still annoys me.

16 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You have to remember sadly you are in a different country!  Their education their MANNER as we expect it no matter your standard it is completely different some or many will not ever meet our standard even if it is low. Then you got everyone personality isn't the same even companies like Makro at foreign chain haven't taken the time to train how important is customer service.

What is posted is more common sadly that good customer service.  My experience is because my daughter in law works for them I kindly mentioned to her because she has an attitude problem cashier is too much work you are better stocking LOL.

My son got a job also another branch he left after a week the boss who hired him like him but people skill non-existences didn't know how to explain properly the job he was being hired.

Are you saying that for racial or cultural reasons Thais have inferior  social skills to westerners.  You, as a westerner are better? Does this include your and all westerners language skills? From what I have observed the Thai  check out staff are pleasant, polite and efficient in the face  of boorish monolingual, western behavior. 

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Are you saying that for racial or cultural reasons Thais have inferior  social skills to westerners.  You, as a westerner are better? Does this include your and all westerners language skills? From what I have observed the Thai  check out staff are pleasant, polite and efficient in the face  of boorish monolingual, western behavior. 

Before you get your boxers all wedge up!  I was simple making a remark as to my view just as you are taking it as offensive that is your choice.

Do I feel I'm better than a Thai or anyone the answer is NO! 

I said "  in my remarks we come from certain learning as we grow up living here although we need to adopted or even lower our own standards "  we never let it go?  which is what I was trying to point out to the poster!   Does not mean we are better than them!

In the post just because she didn't jump up and down and smile to the mistake makes her a bad person or whatever people want to  call it? 

IN GENERAL, from my own experience in living with Thais in the lower income for near twenty years their standards don't meet what I was taught growing up but I don't get mad I just accept it as I noted their country their culture it doesn't mean it is bad just doesn't meet my standard. What I do know as a foreigner who look Thai it is often pointed out that I don't do this or that but find Thais do the same thing all the time but don't like it pointed out to them when it happens they act like the clerk being mentioned by the poster.

Here is one for you,  many times it is pointed out to me don't get upset or mad " mai pen rai"  but I see Thais do it everyday! I think I might have a million examples I can throw out if there was ever a debate.

But lets be clear!  Just because you haven't experience it yourself like I have doesn't mean it doesn't exist or I feel superior to a any Thai. I've met quite a few Thais who have been educated oversea or gone to International schools that have the exact same view and opinion.

23 hours ago, grain said:

When I went to primary school we had a subject called Mental Arithmetic. So all my life, whether it's in restaurants, bars, shops, I can tally up the bill in my head faster than any of these cashiers & checkout people with their calculators and computers....and I'm actually not particularly good at math.

We attended the same kinda primary school.....i did too 

• Like 1

Reading this thread it becomes abundantly clear why Thai women keep Thai boyfriends or cheat on their farang husbands...

What a bunch of boring bastards.... poor ladies must be crying out for a bit of excitement in their lives.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Reading this thread it becomes abundantly clear why Thai women keep Thai boyfriends or cheat on their farang husbands...

What a bunch of boring bastards.... poor ladies must be crying out for a bit of excitement in their lives.

What has being overcharged at Makro got to do with a relationship unless your concerned the bargirls will be getting prices negotiated and bargained for as they are overpricing their products as well.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

What has being overcharged at Makro got to do with a relationship unless your concerned the bargirls will be getting prices negotiated and bargained for as they are overpricing their products as well.

Making detailed notes of your purchaser prices over a number of years, getting bent out of shape because no apology was offered, looking for assistants to inform them that the pricing is different.... poor wives of these boring bastards....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Making detailed notes of your purchaser prices over a number of years, getting bent out of shape because no apology was offered, looking for assistants to inform them that the pricing is different.... poor wives of these boring bastards....

God forbid a Thai woman gets overcharged while her foreign husband stands by, Have you ever listened to the wrath laid onto a cashier or staff by the Thai wife/GF.  If you have you would not be throwing out your boring bastards moniker.  One must always be on there toes with a Thai woman, you truly belief that life is boring for them with a foreigner, well you have not lived with a firebrand of a woman before.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

God forbid a Thai woman gets overcharged while her foreign husband stands by, Have you ever listened to the wrath laid onto a cashier or staff by the Thai wife/GF.  If you have you would not be throwing out your boring bastards moniker.  One must always be on there toes with a Thai woman, you truly belief that life is boring for them with a foreigner, well you have not lived with a firebrand of a woman before.

Ok mate, if you and your other halfs idea of excitement is to note down prices of things in local super markets... each to their own...

10 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Ok mate, if you and your other halfs idea of excitement is to note down prices of things in local super markets... each to their own...

So basically, what your saying is that you pay whatever is charged without ever questioning whether the price given was the price marked on the item, good to know you have more money than brains.  People do not stay in the money by just throwing it away and not watching what they are charged my friend.  Thai's shop by prices knowing what they can afford the majority of the time and if priced higher in one place go to another.  Must drive you mad to see this.

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So basically, what your saying is that you pay whatever is charged without ever questioning whether the price given was the price marked on the item, good to know you have more money than brains.  People do not stay in the money by just throwing it away and not watching what they are charged my friend.  Thai's shop by prices knowing what they can afford the majority of the time and if priced higher in one place go to another.  Must drive you mad to see this.

Of course not- i go to the shops, i pick up what i want, i take a cursory look at the price and pop it in the basket. Obviously for most people this is done in seconds and subconsciously- if something is prohibitively expensive or more than you want to pay it just stays on the shelf. When you get to the till you should already have a rough idea of what its going to cost. If it comes out much higher then obviously you would have a look. No drama, no need for spreadsheets, no need for heated discussions, or grovelling apologies and receipt comparisons. 

I could not care less what Thais do if they want to drive around for a bargain- why would i care or be bothered by it or have literally any interest in what they do at all for their food shopping habits?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 5:19 AM, thailand49 said:

You have to remember sadly you are in a different country!  Their education their MANNER as we expect it no matter your standard it is completely different some or many will not ever meet our standard even if it is low. Then you got everyone personality isn't the same even companies like Makro at foreign chain haven't taken the time to train how important is customer service.

What is posted is more common sadly that good customer service.  My experience is because my daughter in law works for them I kindly mentioned to her because she has an attitude problem cashier is too much work you are better stocking LOL.

My son got a job also another branch he left after a week the boss who hired him like him but people skill non-existences didn't know how to explain properly the job he was being hired.

Wot The <deleted> are you talking about????

Edited by metisdead
Over-sized emoji removed.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, actonion said:

We attended the same kinda primary school.....i did too 

I don't think that subject exists any longer....it sure as sh!t doesn't get taught at Thai primary schools. ????

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, wharria said:

Went to Makro yesterday and at the checkout because I had only bought a few items, when the girl rang the bill up it came up at 2985 baht. when I queried the bill I got a shrug of the shoulders, I then pointed out their was an item on the bill for 1,932 baht. She then took an interest removed a bag of potatoes and raced off. When she re-appeared 10 minutes later it seem the potatoes weighed 1.932 kilograms and this had registered on the till as 1,932 baht. Proper bill then given of 782 baht, no apology offered, surely the girl should have noticed that the potatoes couldn't be that price.

Without the 1,932 baht error item, your bill would have been 2,985 - 1,932 = 1,053 baht, so you had other goods in your trolley worth over 1,000 baht and you ended up paying 782 baht for all those plus the potatoes.

Most folk would praise Makro for fixing a problem and compensating you adequately but you come on moaning?

Did this really happen?  And why haven't all the self proclaimed mental arithmetic experts in the thread noticed this anomaly?

Edited by treetops
  • Confused 1