POLITICS Trump says FBI raiding his Mar-a-Lago home

Scott

5 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The interesting thing politically is that this cancels out the supreme court abortion ruling as far as energizing voter bases. The abortion ruling was set to bring Democrats out of the woodwork, although the Kansas decision may have mollified some. Now, with the Mar a Lago raid, I would imagine Trump supporters would crawl over broken glass to get to the polls. I'm really interested to see which of these two motivations wins out.

"The interesting thing politically is that this cancels out the supreme court abortion ruling as far as energizing voter bases."

There's probably some truth to that.  But that undercuts the argument that this is a political investigation, doesn't it?

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The interesting thing politically is that this cancels out the supreme court abortion ruling as far as energizing voter bases. The abortion ruling was set to bring Democrats out of the woodwork, although the Kansas vote may have mollified some. Now, with the Mar a Lago raid, I would imagine Trump supporters would crawl over broken glass to get to the polls. I'm really interested to see which of these two motivations wins out.

Possibly.  Or it could be like the J6 committee hearings where moderates and independents alike were aghast by Trump's behavior.  If there is an indictment and trial, I'd imagine Trump's depravity would be revealed in even more lucid detail.  If the Republicans keep crying "political witch hunt," not sure if the sane members of society will buy it.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I am hoping for a FAR greater crime than some paperwork issue. It sounds as serious as an overdue library book. 

Unless Trump has been caught comitting a very serious crime like murder, with irrefutable evidence found during this horrific raid on an ex Presidents residence there will be mayhem. 

Wasn't Biden supposed to be uniting and healing the nation.

? Turning the FBI into political attack dogs to nail the man the dems are terrified of in a fair election is not good optics.

CNN are reporting that the warrant was issued in relation to classified documents being removed. Does that make it a bit more serious?

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Their pathological hatred of Trump precludes such logical thought. It may well indeed go against them at the polls. 

They'll just keep insulting those who disagree with them. Same thing happened with the Brexit vote, the Remainers simply called anyone who argued with them Racist, Stupid, Ignorant etc. and therefore put the nail into the coffin of their campaign and eventually lost.

One day they might realize that insulting people is not the most effective way to cajole them around to their way of thinking. Although I believe many are too far gone to reconsider their approach.

Yes but they are perfect

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I am not pleading the victim, in fact I enjoy a decent debate so bring it on, there will be no crying from me ????.

I was merely pointing out the constant straw man arguements of many on the left who constantly label people as far right, Trump supporters etc. whenever they point out the hypocrisy and double standards of the FBI going after Trump to unprecedented levels while dragging their feet when it's an investigation about Hunter/Joe Biden.

I am saying both should be investigated with equal vigour if there is any evidence of wrong doing. For the FBI to go after Trump like a dog with a bone, then take years doing pretty much nothing when Biden needs investigating smacks of political bias. Me pointing that out neither makes me far right, a Trump supporter or a pearl clutcher. Keep throwing those labels out though...

This is the first time you have said Trump should be investigated for this matter so it's good to see you are coming round to what is the right thing to do. 

And by the way, not a single person has labelled you as far right but you are being labelled as a Trump supporter as only Trump supporters have the audacity to defend this man as much as they do.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

With all the comments here about Hunter Biden I have a good idea.

Put Trump and Biden together in a small cell and let them enjoy each other.

And maybe install a couple of big brother cameras.

Win/win/win for everybody. ???? 

Sick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Their pathological hatred of Trump precludes such logical thought. It may well indeed go against them at the polls. 

They'll just keep insulting those who disagree with them. Same thing happened with the Brexit vote, the Remainers simply called anyone who argued with them Racist, Stupid, Ignorant etc. and therefore put the nail into the coffin of their campaign and eventually lost.

One day they might realize that insulting people is not the most effective way to cajole them around to their way of thinking. Although I believe many are too far gone to reconsider their approach.

And perhaps a failure to spot the big winner in all this. Perhaps.  That would be Ron DeSantis who just might get Trump cleared out of his path to the nomination by this investigation and/or any resulting indictment. He gets Trump moved out of the way and simultaneously inherits a super energized base. All this goes to show, btw, just what a lazy incompetent man Trump really was. Too lazy to supervise these 15 boxes and their remnants, which apparently were not returned. Too lazy in his appointments of Wray, Milley, and even some unsteady Supreme Court justices. Trump is just a bad executive. DeSantis does not seem to share any of his weaknesses.

Edited by John Drake
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

And perhaps a failure to spot the big winner in all this. Perhaps.  That would be Ron DeSantis who just might get Trump cleared out of his path to the nomination by this investigation and/or any resulting indictment. He gets Trump moved out of the way and simultaneously inherits a super energized base. All this goes to show, btw, just what a lazy incompetent man Trump really was. Too lazy to supervise these 15 boxes and their remnants, which apparently were not returned. Too lazy in his appointments of Wray, Milley, and even some unsteady Supreme Court justices. Trump is just a bad executive. DeSantis does not seem to share any of his weaknesses.

Trump was never going to get any serving General to go along with his plans. Or any career professional for that matter. Oh wait, there was Kelly who was in the pocket of US foes.

Edited by ozimoron

Defund the FBI! Apparently the White House was unaware that the FBI raided Trump until he reported it himself.

Republicans rail against the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, calling for the FBI to be destroyed and defunded.

The far-right faction of the Republican party is up in arms about the Federal Bureau of Investigation's search of Mar-a-Lago, calling for the agency to be defunded and destroyed. 

Trump ally and Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene was one of the first to tweet her disapproval of the search, posting on Twitter: "DEFUND THE FBI!"

Colorado lawmaker Lauren Boebert tweeted that she wanted the GOP to "set up a Select Committee to investigate the FBI's politically-motivated raid on Mar-a-Lago and on ALL the fraudulent persecution of President Trump from our government."

https://www.businessinsider.com/live-fbi-search-warrant-donald-trump-mar-a-lago-2022-8#republicans-rail-against-the-fbi-search-of-mar-a-lago-calling-for-the-fbi-to-be-destroyed-and-defunded

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 2

Apart from a little fear that this will lead to the end of the world I would somehow like to see what will happen if Americans vote for Trump another time.

Will they then change the constitution so that he can stay forever?

Will they also change the laws to that the president has absolute power?

To what new extremes will he rise? I am sure it will be worse than any of us can imagine.

And last but not least: Will at any time in this process the big majority of Americans wake up and decide enough is enough? Or will they continue to support him until the bitter end?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Right. The prospect of Joe coming back for another four years is terrifying, for sure. 

Could you please try to be a bit more creative when composing a biting retort? That type of comeback was stale when Nixon was president.

Edited by Phoenix Rising
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Americans vote for Trump another time.

Will they then change the constitution so that he can stay forever?

Will they also change the laws to that the president has absolute power?

To what new extremes will he rise? I am sure it will be worse than any of us can imagine.

One person cant do that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Could you please try to be a bit more creative when composing a biting retort? That type of comeback was stale when Nixon was president.

That begs the question, was that raid also politically motivated?

Just now, Sparktrader said:

One person cant do that

As it stands, he could go to war without congress approval. Biden has said he wants to remove that ability but Schumer hasn't yet brought a vote to the floor.

• Haha 1