Foreigners who come to Thailand to smoke marijuana for recreational purposes are strongly discouraged, Public Health Minister says

webfact

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I was thinking the dope heads would boost a different sector than the boozy, girlie, nightlife..... after all their habit has rendered them incapable of doing it justice. So something where they can lie around and contemplate skies and ceilings....the massage, tattoo and beach-chair vendors might be making a killing. 

Forget the weed, they just don't want backpackers like most of us were. They make the rules live by them, cheap weed here.

• Like 1

There are huge vested interests behind this but Anutin is playing  to the gallery to head off the backlash from the anti-legalization lobby which includes Thaksin whose party will probably win the next election. Anutin knows he needs to get into the next government or his sponsors’ cannabis businesses will be wrecked. I am sure they want tourists to smoke as much as they can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Minister Anutin is up to his hips in the new marijuana trade, and will make himself a bundle, but he has built a political career, saying whatever the Big Kahuna wants him to say. That is his job. He will say that today and tomorrow happily sell to low quality tourists who come specifically for the marijuana.

He is not a moron, he is a successful Thai politician & businessman.

I don't know much about this Anitin guy but that was my take too. I don't know why all the nobodys get so worked up about this sort of stuff, maybe they're jealous of his wealth ????

48 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

There are huge vested interests behind this but Anutin is playing  to the gallery to head off the backlash from the anti-legalization lobby which includes Thaksin whose party will probably win the next election. Anutin knows he needs to get into the next government or his sponsors’ cannabis businesses will be wrecked. I am sure they want tourists to smoke as much as they can.

this reminds me of that time when they sent a ministerial delegation to Pattaya to look for evidence of the oldest profession. they spent some time there and proudly announced that they could find no evidence of it. "nothing to see here people, move along".

the response from the peanut gallery was how dumb are these people, how ridiculous they look, stupid Thais, blah blah blah. 

of course that was the conclusion they were going to come to. too much money pumps through Pattaya to have allowed any other outcome. it's not stupid, it's pragmatic.

and they probably wouldn't need to do this type of stuff if dumb ferrlung didn't keep on talking about fight club. or worse, crowing about it on InstaTokker.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Minister Anutin is up to his hips in the new marijuana trade, and will make himself a bundle, but he has built a political career, saying whatever the Big Kahuna wants him to say. That is his job. He will say that today and tomorrow happily sell to low quality tourists who come specifically for the marijuana.

"successful Thai politician" Yes, he certainly is that, and a Liar to boot, just like the other Chuckle Brother and his "there will be no coup" lies, though his being a politician is very questionable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

He said they are not welcome and will be Jailed and Fined according to CNN so this is kind of World news now.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/marijuana-tourists-thailand/index.html

Doesn't say that at all. You just made that up. 

The article talks about possible fines for smoking in public. You know, in places where you are likely to disturb and annoy. Then the deterrent is there.

Behave sensibly and no one will disturb you. 

If honestly, I personally don't know anyone who smokes recreationally. Everyone I know who does so, does so for health reasons in one way or another.

To help with sleep, anxiety, pain etc

Even from what I read here, some people claim it helps them at work. 

I think what they are saying it that they don't want irresponsible people creating negative headlines. 

Expats probably already know how to behave in moderation, but some tourists, as you know, like to make the most of their freedom and live life to excess. Drinking, partying etc Not an issue if they know how to keep themselves out of trouble.

It's all there for you, but don't do stupid things. 

They want this to be good for everyone, so that it keeps on rolling(see what I did there? ???? ).

People have lost a lot over the past few years; with good intentions, hopefully people can get their livelihoods together again.

Dispensaries with good knowledge can help people choose the strains that may suit them best and charge a premium for doing so. Those who have more time on their hands can do their own research and save a bit by doing so.

Something for everyone. Just don't go to Thailand to abuse it, make a fool out of yourself and make Thailand look bad, is what I think they are trying to convey.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Not sure how or why you concluded that. My impression was that Anutin wanted marijuana legalised in Thailand to allow unlimited supplies for medicinal use which by and large would be grown and sold by companies which he either had an interest in or his cronies had in order to maximise his own business stream income at prices which could be controlled. I can't think for one moment he considered that loads of independent growers/suppliers would pop up pushing prices to very low levels and hence having a big impact on his projected income. 

Maybe because I read this article and many others which were similar at the time

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/05/thailand-dreams-of-high-end-cannabis-tourism-after-marijuana-is-legalised

Authorities are also exploring the idea of a “cannabis sandbox” that would allow tourists to visit the country while recreationally using cannabis in select areas, to help create destinations synonymous with the drug, according to local media.

At the time of campaigning in 2019, Charnvirakul said that the legalisation would be “a win-win situation for the Thai people because they will grow the plant and it will benefit the economy”.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

And what, pray tell, are you going to do about it sir when in many corners now there are tables set up with array and selection of the weed in all its forms as well as on-line?...the horses, as the saying goes, has bolted and now you're trying to close the barn's doors...

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

And what, pray tell, are you going to do about it sir when in many corners now there are tables set up with array and selection of the weed in all its forms as well as on-line?...the horses, as the saying goes, has bolted and now you're trying to close the barn's doors...

Do what they always do. Send a policeman around at regular intervals to collect the "informal fiscal arrangement".

Don't contribute and you will be shut down. Just like any other business.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Probably trying to get Willie Nelson to move here. After all, he fits the age, if not income, profile of most people on Aseannow.

You truly believe that we resemble Willie in age.....wow, I need to grow up real quick to get to 89 y.o.a. 32 years in a day should do it....Most people are younger than what you posted.

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe because I read this article and many others which were similar at the time

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/05/thailand-dreams-of-high-end-cannabis-tourism-after-marijuana-is-legalised

Authorities are also exploring the idea of a “cannabis sandbox” that would allow tourists to visit the country while recreationally using cannabis in select areas, to help create destinations synonymous with the drug, according to local media.

At the time of campaigning in 2019, Charnvirakul said that the legalisation would be “a win-win situation for the Thai people because they will grow the plant and it will benefit the economy”.

Shouldn't believe everything you read, especially the Guardian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Meanwhile, alcohol drinking sex tourists always welcome.

If weed tourists could just prove they also drink and indulge in prostitutes maybe they would be more welcome.

Visit the hub of dissipation. Get high , get drunk , get laid then lauded and praised for it.

Perfect recipe to fill the empty coffers.

Alcohol sales and drinking establishments, and bar girls and their establishments have long been very lucrative for various amongst "the authorities". They are condemned, and even have their existence denied in regular displays of prurience, but bring in far too much money to be permanently closed.

The current spate of warnings by politicians and senior policemen against cannabis consumption are simply part of the process of establishing a similar regime. Once it is up and running, well, there is no prostitution in Pattaya!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul vowed to promote Thailand as a leading marijuana market for medical purposes and discourage foreign tourists who aimed to visit the country for recreational purposes.

Until out of the airport at least.

I have been here a little over a month. When I am driving out in the sticks and stop to eat I have asked a few bought the law.. To my surprise when I ask many go back and Bring back bags of the stiff and ask how much I want.... So much for this stupid thread.

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Politics and business go so well together when you get to make policy or know beforehand of the decisions that benefit or create your business.

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Except the Bush cocaine accusation is fake news

"Bush's equivocations on questions about any past use of drugs -- especially cocaine -- may be undermining his insistence that he will not play the "Washington game" of responding to rumors. On Wednesday, he said he had not used recreational drugs in the past seven years. Yesterday, it was 25 years." and "In fact, the current background check for the 1,500-member presidential staff and high-level presidential appointees demands that applicants disclose drug use dating back to their 18th birthdays -- a policy that actually started in 1989, in the administration of the governor's father.

When confronted with that standard in Columbus, Ohio, Bush retreated to his position that he would not comment."

It is plain he is playing games just like Clinton's "depends on what 'is' is" sort of evasion. He never denied using cocaine, but did "not in last 25 years" BS.

I would not say fake news, but rather evasion and dishonest by omission https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-08-20-9908200196-story.html

3 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"Bush's equivocations on questions about any past use of drugs -- especially cocaine -- may be undermining his insistence that he will not play the "Washington game" of responding to rumors. On Wednesday, he said he had not used recreational drugs in the past seven years. Yesterday, it was 25 years." and "In fact, the current background check for the 1,500-member presidential staff and high-level presidential appointees demands that applicants disclose drug use dating back to their 18th birthdays -- a policy that actually started in 1989, in the administration of the governor's father.

When confronted with that standard in Columbus, Ohio, Bush retreated to his position that he would not comment."

It is plain he is playing games just like Clinton's "depends on what 'is' is" sort of evasion. He never denied using cocaine, but did "not in last 25 years" BS.

I would not say fake news, but rather evasion and dishonest by omission https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-08-20-9908200196-story.html

Actually thought you were referring to this fake incident: 

Was George W. Bush Arrested for Cocaine Possession?

Reports that the former president was arrested in Dallas for cocaine possession are fake news.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Doesn't say that at all. You just made that up. 

The article talks about possible fines for smoking in public. You know, in places where you are likely to disturb and annoy. Then the deterrent is there.

Behave sensibly and no one will disturb you. 

If honestly, I personally don't know anyone who smokes recreationally. Everyone I know who does so, does so for health reasons in one way or another.

To help with sleep, anxiety, pain etc

Even from what I read here, some people claim it helps them at work. 

I think what they are saying it that they don't want irresponsible people creating negative headlines. 

Expats probably already know how to behave in moderation, but some tourists, as you know, like to make the most of their freedom and live life to excess. Drinking, partying etc Not an issue if they know how to keep themselves out of trouble.

It's all there for you, but don't do stupid things. 

They want this to be good for everyone, so that it keeps on rolling(see what I did there? ???? ).

People have lost a lot over the past few years; with good intentions, hopefully people can get their livelihoods together again.

Dispensaries with good knowledge can help people choose the strains that may suit them best and charge a premium for doing so. Those who have more time on their hands can do their own research and save a bit by doing so.

Something for everyone. Just don't go to Thailand to abuse it, make a fool out of yourself and make Thailand look bad, is what I think they are trying to convey.

Interpret that as you want but for me it does.

Title = Pot-smoking tourists not welcome in Thailand, says health minister
Quote = But those smoking in public risk facing a three-month jail sentence or fines of up to 25,000 baht ($705.82).