Scammed on Lazada. No refund.

LALes

I had something that may be similar to the OP several months ago. I ordered some brand name safety boots that were about half price. Tracking said seller had packed the item but Lazada cancelled the order, as they always do, when the seller failed to hand the item over to the shipper by the estimated delivery date. Two days later a delivery guy turns up with an item which turned out to be my order. One look at the package told me it didn't contain the item I ordered so I refused to accept delivery. As it was a COD order I wasn't  out of pocket and didn't have to try for a refund. Went back and checked the seller's store, no ratings and every item in the store was priced at 350 baht.

If I had accepted the item I could hardly blame Lazada as they had informed me via the tracking that the order was cancelled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I had something that may be similar to the OP several months ago. I ordered some brand name safety boots that were about half price. Tracking said seller had packed the item but Lazada cancelled the order, as they always do, when the seller failed to hand the item over to the shipper by the estimated delivery date. Two days later a delivery guy turns up with an item which turned out to be my order. One look at the package told me it didn't contain the item I ordered so I refused to accept delivery. As it was a COD order I wasn't  out of pocket and didn't have to try for a refund. Went back and checked the seller's store, no ratings and every item in the store was priced at 350 baht.

If I had accepted the item I could hardly blame Lazada as they had informed me via the tracking that the order was cancelled. 

Useful warning thanks!

Funnily enough, I've just claimed a refund through Lazada and got it no problem. Granted, it was only a few hundred baht but I found them quite efficient. I also gave the seller an awful review! Sorry you're having this trouble. 

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

I agree - always record an unboxing video for anything expensive. If you pay COD you could give a tip to the courier and ask them to hold your phone recording a video - this way you will even have a witness if something is wrong with the product.

i bought one of those phone stands for the job, was 80 baht on special

3 hours ago, proton said:

Try to only ever buy from Lazmall section stuff is always genuine

I think that's a GOOD recommendation that I try to follow, along with also, as another option, buying from "official" manufacturer sites on Lazada where the seller is the manufacturer, like Samsung, etc.

If I'm going to buy anything on Lazada other than from Laz Mall or the official manufacturer sites on Lazada, I only do that if the private party seller has high customer satisfaction ratings and lots of predominantly positive reviews.

I took a chance a while back ordering a hot water boiler from a third party seller that, when I opened it, looked like a factory second with clear evidence of shoddy manufacturing.

Initiated the return process online with Lazada, and the ensuing debacle spread out over a couple weeks of time and numerous contacts with both Lazada and the seller.

A lot of the problems and time ended up being Lazada's fault, because I had opted for them to arrange a courier pickup of the item that had been approved for return. And Lazada kept mistakenly assigning the return to a courier company's office that didn't service the central Bangkok area where I live. Thus the courier driver kept being a no-show for the pickup.

It was a pretty frustrating, dismaying experience all in all... But in the end, after many calls and emails, a courier finally did come to pick up the return, and I got my money back about a month after the original purchase.

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

correct ....  and that would have been a red flag ... Lazada don't use Best Inc for deliveries.  

I've had a few things come via Best recently, no issues other than being S-L-O-W ???? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You need to view the Lazada delivery tracking pages.

Pay COD using bank transfer at the gate.

Not really Lazada's problem if you didn't.

Police report is the way forward, online fraud is very serious.

The police can easily track the money trail back to the fraudster.

Best will know the Thai ID and the bank account details of the fraudster.

Will the police di anything at all? I doubt it. They have too many fraud complaints already. They will just put it in a drawer.

5 hours ago, userabcd said:

Why so complicated and such a long time. Your only point of contact is with Lazada.

If the item you received was not what was ordered or displayed on the web page then you open the lazada website, fill in the request for refund with photos and explanation, they approve, you print out the return label and deliver to cornier to return to Lazada.

No email is required, everything done on the Lazada website though your account. Lazada refund into your wallet.

Usually action taken immediately after the package was opened and refund by Lazada in a few days.

Agreed. It is simple and fast once you've been through it. I do it immediately if I'm not pleased with an item.

Moreover, you can have it picked up by a courier or drop at 7-11, both at no charge.

I always pay COD. I've never been denied a refund and it goes directly into my Lazada wallet within a day or so.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you expect from Lazada?

Should they look in every package which will be delivered?

Lazada is a service for bringing buyers together with sellers. And they handle the payment.

Box is sent, box is received. That is about as far as what Lazada can initially do.

If there was any fraud going on then go to the police - as you did.

And before any of this: Look at the seller. Does he have a good rating? Does he have a rating at all? How many people bought that item already? Any good or bad reviews?

And last but not least: Is the price too good to be true? If you want to buy a phone which cost normally i.e. 10k then don't expect to buy to for 8k.

Until now I bought likely more than 100 things on Lazada, probably more. I think I only got one time delivery of a wrong item, and that issue was solved quickly.

IMHO Lazada does in general a good job.

"And last but not least: Is the price too good to be true?"

Precisely- My friend was 'scammed' by a Nigerian Prince on a gold bullion deal...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

"And last but not least: Is the price too good to be true?"

Precisely- My friend was 'scammed' by a Nigerian Prince on a gold bullion deal...

Let me guess. Now your fried is smarter and he invest his money in crypto. ???? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stewartthailand said:

I have bought at least 100 items on Lazada and have never seen Lazada tape or Lazada labels. The items do not come from Lazada but from the seller via a variety of independent delivery companies. I have had at least 10 returns and full refunds on each occasion.

If you buy from LazMall they will sometimes send it in their own branded box as it comes directly from the warehouse. 

Anyhoo, the op got scammed doing a transaction outside lazada. The "seller" used a Lazada box to seem more legitimate. Lazada will not cover this as it was done outside of their platform, something they warn about on their pages more than once. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LALes said:

The item was "purchased" through Lazada's website.  I agreed to COD with Lazada seller.  He never sent it.  Whoever did, got my info from Lazada.

No they didn't. The 3rd party seller was given your info by the seller. I had the same thing happen once, and I always pay COD. Just reported via Lazada site that goods were not as ordered, Lazada contacted the courier and I received a full refund 2 days later. The courier had the details of the shipper, gave them to Lazada and Lazada recovered the money and refunded to the courier. You should always keep the order confirmation email so that you can track the package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never understand why people buy expensive electronics online. Personally I prefer to be in the shop when they open the packaging, make sure everything is in order and only then pay and take it. If a big item that has to be delivered I inspect the item and the packaging and take note of the serial number or even make a small mark on the box so I know I got the item I have already inspected. Sometime cheap is very expensive...

That said - Lazada still lack inspection and verification of their sellers. This month I have ordered 2 separate shipments of 2 items. Both were canceled by Lazada and promised a refund (credit card payment) which I'll see on the next statement. I called Lazada and according to them the 1st shipment was canceled due to the package was damaged by the carrier - I reordered from another seller and got it within few days. The 2nd was canceled due to no stock (according to Lazada), however the same seller still showed there are 3 items left in stock, so I ordered again, but this time COD. about a week later the status still shows as "to pack". Lazada said I should try and contact the seller. 2 days later they responded saying they're out of stock. Their page still shows 2 items left in stock and they never replied after I asked them about it...

Another very annoying issue with Lazada is that when you search for an item many sellers pop up with a small remark "out of stock" so sometimes you have to go through many advertising to find the 1 that actually has it in stock.

I have never had problems with Lazada, but last week an item I had ordered was being delivered by Best and started it's journey with Best, then for no apparent reason the order was switched to Ninja. Luckily my order arrived safely ( I have had problems with Best before anyway ) .

My biggest gripe with COD deliveries is I am not allowed to open the package to make sure my order is correct. I could be signing for a box of rubbish or even an empty box.     

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I never understand why people buy expensive electronics online. Personally I prefer to be in the shop when they open the packaging, make sure everything is in order and only then pay and take it

local shops have about 1% of the stock offered online, of course it's not an issue if you are shopping for a generic iPhone or OPPO, however for some stuff you might have to fly to the nearby country as I did several years ago in order to buy a good laptop.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i bought one of those phone stands for the job, was 80 baht on special

you did not get the point:

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you will even have a witness if something is wrong with the product.

and they might assist you with returning the shipment.

Edited by fdsa

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You didn't read the OP carefully.

This item wasn't purchased through Lazada, seller cancelled the order then shipped outside the Lazada system. Which is something Lazada always warn about.

I'm glad you picked-up on the fact the transaction was moved outside of Lazada. 

I foolishly lost B4000 on a phone order this way.  Originally made the order (B8000 Xiaomi) on Lazada. Seller contacted me by my LINE account, saying he just sold out of the model I wanted but if I was willing to pay 1/2 upfront, he would ship me an upgraded model for same price.  Gullible me sent him 4,000 by transfer.  After a week of no delivery, he contacted me saying he wanted full payment upfront.  By then, I knew I'd been had.  No recourse through Lazada because I'd gone outside the system, exactly as they warn you not to do.   B4,000 lesson learned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, alanrchase said:

My order wasn't cancelled until a week after the incident.  Their investigation convinced them that the seller violated Lazada's policy.  But, that doesn't mean I'm getting a refund.  They still refuse to take responsibility.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I have much sympathy for the OP.

Everyone needs to look after their own assets in this world.

Almost all the phones/tablets/graphics cards/memory on Lazada appear to be fake at the moment IMHO.

(Except for the brands official stores)

The seller I bought from had the Official Samsung Store logo.  I thought he was legit, but I guess not.  Lazada does a terrible job of vetting

their sellers if they even bother at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

If you buy from LazMall they will sometimes send it in their own branded box as it comes directly from the warehouse. 

Anyhoo, the op got scammed doing a transaction outside lazada. The "seller" used a Lazada box to seem more legitimate. Lazada will not cover this as it was done outside of their platform, something they warn about on their pages more than once. 

You're wrong.  This was a Lazada seller.

30 minutes ago, dddave said:

I'm glad you picked-up on the fact the transaction was moved outside of Lazada. 

I foolishly lost B4000 on a phone order this way.  Originally made the order (B8000 Xiaomi) on Lazada. Seller contacted me by my LINE account, saying he just sold out of the model I wanted but if I was willing to pay 1/2 upfront, he would ship me an upgraded model for same price.  Gullible me sent him 4,000 by transfer.  After a week of no delivery, he contacted me saying he wanted full payment upfront.  By then, I knew I'd been had.  No recourse through Lazada because I'd gone outside the system, exactly as they warn you not to do.   B4,000 lesson learned.

I didn't move the transaction outside Lazada, the sender did.  Obviously a scam in cahoots with the seller, who gave him my order info.

11 hours ago, LALes said:

I took a chance on a new seller because he had the item I wanted at a good price.  Last year's models are hard to find.  At 9,600 baht for an M52, it was a good deal for a hard-to-find phone but not enough to set off a red flag.  I still say the ultimate responsibility rests with the website for hosting scam sellers.  

You need to check statues of your package on Lazada website to ensure that "seller" has shipped your item and when it will arrive. If it has not shipped by the the seller then you should not accept any unknown package (if you buy COD) even though the price is same as what you expect. 
Lazada did not refund you because the item was not actually shipped by the seller, but they canceled the sell (never shipped) since Lazada can see how the seller played the game. 

Edited by The Theory