Hotel maid falls down elevator shaft in Pattaya and suffers serious injuries

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

South Pattaya — A 57-year-old hotel maid fell down an elevator shaft at a Pattaya hotel and suffered serious injuries.

Pol. Lt. Col. Saijai Kamchulla, an inspector at the Pattaya Police Station, and Sawang Boriboon rescue services rushed to Aya Boutique Hotel on Soi Baywalk in South Pattaya after being notified that a woman had plunged into an elevator shaft by accident and sustained serious injuries on Friday, September 2nd.

Aya Boutique was a six-storey hotel. The victim was trapped in a shaft on the second floor and was crying for help. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/09/03/hotel-maid-falls-down-elevator-shaft-in-pattaya-and-suffers-serious-injuries/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-09-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 hours ago, plus7 said:

Guys,

Probably you've seen elevator usage rule that may seem funny: "When door opened, make sure elevator is here too"

Sometimes door opens without elevator arrived and people step-in automatically.

It happens periodically.

Never seen it as the opening depends on the operation of a microswitch inside the shaft.

• Like 1

I’ve seen this, kind of....   an elevator was being serviced, a couple of staff around but they weren’t really paying attention and didn’t look as if they were going to stop me entering as I approached the elevator.

I got about 3 meters away, Initially it was shock as my brain disbelieved my eyes...  ’theres something wrong with the floor in this elevator and why is it so dark ?'....   

Now, whenever I’m with someone I notice how they rarely look down when entering an elevator. 

Its something I’ve taught my son... Stop, look down and where you are going first. 

-----

So... to answer the questions, how did she not see.... I think that part is fairly easy (surprisingly enough). 

The other part of this...  the security / safety part of the outer elevator door simply failed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, plus7 said:

Guys,

Probably you've seen elevator usage rule that may seem funny: "When door opened, make sure elevator is here too"

Sometimes door opens without elevator arrived and people step-in automatically.

It happens periodically.

How exactly did the door open? Typical elevator doors are locked unless the elevator is on the floor in question. The lock is triggered to open by the presence of the elevator as a safety feature. Doors dont just open on there own. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

How exactly did the door open? Typical elevator doors are locked unless the elevator is on the floor in question. The lock is triggered to open by the presence of the elevator as a safety feature. Doors dont just open on there own. 

I’ll take a wild stab in the dark on this one and suggest a failure of the ‘safety feature’ you mention ! :whistling:

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ll take a wild stab in the dark on this one and suggest a failure of the ‘safety feature’ you mention ! :whistling:

The lock is mechanical on most all elevators and doors are spring loaded to close. You need a key to open the mechanical locking device to open doors. The elevator in question was most likely being repaired and the doors were open to access the top of the car. 

• Like 1

Hope she is ok,

i find thai people dont look at the big picture especially driving they see a green light ahead and they focus on that where they should be looking left and right to make sure there is nothing running a red light, how you can miss not seeing an elevator at the floor is beyond me must have just been looking at her phone and just fell down the shaft

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darksidedude said:

Hope she is ok,

i find thai people dont look at the big picture especially driving they see a green light ahead and they focus on that where they should be looking left and right to make sure there is nothing running a red light, how you can miss not seeing an elevator at the floor is beyond me must have just been looking at her phone and just fell down the shaft

It was an open door she had walked through a thousand times before, or even gone into backwards with her maids cart in front of her. The phone is a good example of how people do not pay attention to where they are going, and expect others to move out of their way.