Any UK bank which allows a Thai address and tax residency.

3 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

When my Thai wife came to live with me in England in 20 years ago, my UK High Street bank wouldn't allow me to open a joint account with her unless she could provide Utility Bills in her name and of course no bank account = no utility bill, catch 22.

So it's not something new.

Why didn't you change the name on the utility bill to her name or joint name  ?

59 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Tried that, exactly as I said before no bank account = no name on utility bill, probably somebody else has managed but I didn't.

my Thai wife lived in the UK with me ,she didnt have any utility bills ,but no problem with us having a nationwide joint acc ,in fact still have it,now about 25 yrs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Hes going to generate a significant taxable event and needs to ensure his Thai residency is firmed up, his UK exit status is correct (he filed it years ago but days per year is not perfect, we maintain a Irish address also that has no passport control between them) and he can pass KYC for a non UK and non Thai financial institution. 

This is all about ensuring everything is perfect, in advance and in correct sequence, for undisputable capital gains protection. 

If you don't mind me asking, What do you mean by UK exit status? What did he file?

I just upped and left. Didn't tell anyone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

SCB charges 500 baht fee for all incoming foreign transfers, irrespective of the amount. 

All banks in Thailand also charge a % fee to take out of the account, tho some can use this as thb conversion fee. It's currency and sending system dependant but 0.25 or 0.5% is usual. 

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/deposits/foreign-currency-deposit-fcd.html

Either way there's no way he's sending a sum of this size into Thailand. With all the issues of getting it out again

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This is all about ensuring everything is perfect, in advance and in correct sequence, for undisputable capital gains protection. 

Out of interest, what does a bank account, whether in Thailand or UK, have to do with "capital gains protection"? If your friend is selling a UK property, unless it's his primary residence then CGT liability will arise regardless of tax status / residency. 

I informed my bank that I was zero rated for tax as I'm working overseas - so they stopped the tax deductions on interest payments.

I still maintain a UK address (of a relative) but they use my Thai mobile for the banking scurity codes.

So maybe the OP just needs a UK address, but can tell his bank he's working in Thailand and no longer tax resident?

13 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Out of interest, what does a bank account, whether in Thailand or UK, have to do with "capital gains protection"? If your friend is selling a UK property, unless it's his primary residence then CGT liability will arise regardless of tax status / residency. 

Its not real estate.. And because the transaction will be reported to whatever jurisdiction the address on file is.. The address on file (which was established many many years ago) will be established by KYC based on bank account and utility bills, and then they may demand to pay that bank (but there may be flexibility there, thats not clear yet). 

Hence it is needed to be Thai jurisdiction where the reporting is irrelevant but not a Thai bank account where the funds wouldnt want to be sent. 

Finally the person concerned does have UK connection (too much in reality) and so still needs a UK bank to handle things but wants it to not be to his uk address. The next step over time is a better expat bank for him. Standard Bank above is on the list.

13 hours ago, BangersBob said:

So maybe the OP just needs a UK address, but can tell his bank he's working in Thailand and no longer tax resident?

Would have been a possible one.. I am advising him to clean up his position though.. UK cars out of his name, etc etc.. 

Am even looking into creating a family trust or other holding structures as we have some estate planning we need to get tidy in the next years also.

13 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Beat me to it.

Had one for years, easy to open

The fees look reasonable.. I just closed a CIM Banque in Switzerland because they have far too many standing fees, annual account statement fees, etc etc.. 

Citi demand 200k on deposit which is a fair bit to leave unused.. Great service but thats a penalty.  

47 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have an account with Lloyds in the UK and it has my Thai address attached to it.

Lloyds made it very clear they couldnt do that unless you moved to the channel islands 50k on deposit accounts.. Maybe thats just a postal link not a residence.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

I have an account with Lloyds in the UK and it has my Thai address attached to it.

Was that set up a few years ago? I bank with lloyds and last year i enquired about a Thai address, and they said you need to be resident in the UK to have an account and cards etc would only be sent to a uk address, if i was no longer resident they said i would have to close my account and they suggested lloyds, Jersey or Guernsey

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, howerde said:

Was that set up a few years ago? I bank with lloyds and last year i enquired about a Thai address, and they said you need to be resident in the UK to have an account and cards etc would only be sent to a uk address, if i was no longer resident they said i would have to close my account and they suggested lloyds, Jersey or Guernsey

https://www.lloydsbank.com/savings/help-and-guidance/non-ukresidents.html#:~:text=Lloyds Bank plc.,Gresham Street%2C London EC2V 7HN.

Lloyds are one of the 'hard No' answers I got and clearly posted online. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Lloyds made it very clear they couldnt do that unless you moved to the channel islands 50k on deposit accounts.. Maybe thats just a postal link not a residence.

Well they still have my Thai address and I have had the account every since I came to Thailand over 30 years ago. I have told them it is where I live.

29 minutes ago, howerde said:

It was about 40 years ago I opened the account with them which I guess could make the difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

Remember not to transfer the funds to Thailand in the same calendar year that it was realised or it can be taxed in Thailand as income.

Transfer on or after 1st January.

Exactly part of the calculations in this. 

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Would have been a possible one.. I am advising him to clean up his position though.. UK cars out of his name, etc etc.. 

Am even looking into creating a family trust or other holding structures as we have some estate planning we need to get tidy in the next years also.

How many more years are you expecting. Do it now

3 hours ago, SidJames said:

Remember not to transfer the funds to Thailand in the same calendar year that it was realised or it can be taxed in Thailand as income.

Transfer on or after 1st January.

my pensions were earned years ago.