Any UK bank which allows a Thai address and tax residency.

Asking for a family member who (rapidly) needs an international bank account at a Thai address. 

He has Thai utility bills, Thai license, etc to prove things address for KYC but doesnt want a domestic Thai account as he will need to move a chunk of foreign currency. 

I am aware some Brit expats had UK banks (or building societies) and have kept them even after formally moving to Thailand. I just dont know which UK high street current accounts (not offshore channel islands etc) support that. Asking at Lloyds they said no, overseas tax residency and they will close the account. 

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No UK bank will open a new account for non-residents.  Those you refer to will have retained a UK address on the bank's records and I doubt if any of them that need to keep the account open would dare tell the bank that they actually live in Thailand.

you dont think that they have not told the pension  service as well do you?????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

He has Thai utility bills, Thai license, etc to prove things address for KYC but doesnt want a domestic Thai account as he will need to move a chunk of foreign currency. 

Has he thought about Singapore, nearer than the UK if he's living in Thailand.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've no idea but what's "the pension service" got to do with the OP's question or  my comment? 

They may live in Thailand where your pension is frozen on the day you get it ,but if they keep a UK address and bank ,perhaps they get the yearly uprises ,get it?

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've no idea but what's "the pension service" got to do with the OP's question or  my comment? 

They may live in Thailand where your pension is frozen on the day you get it ,but if they keep a UK address and bank ,perhaps they get the yearly uprises ,get it?

Nothing to do with the OP's question or my comment.  Get that?

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Apologies, I think I misunderstood and have consequently edited my reply 

¯\_()_/¯

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Apparently nationwide building society do.. Just spoke with an advisor on the phone who said that they will register overseas residency and tax base and maintain an established current account to a non UK address that he can get in 5 minutes walking through the door. 

That is for existing accounts .

For a new account , the person would have to be living in the U.K (I asked yesterday in a Nationwide branch) 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Yes considering an HSBC there but they also take a CLIE (commission in lieu of exchange) on large money movements even when they dont exchange them. 

He's going to have problems with that wherever he goes. I bank with HSBC Singapore and use Wise to transfer money out. Transfer to Wise Singapore is a local transfer so no CLIE and no bank charges. But you can't move USD to Wise Singapore, you need to move from the MultiCurrency Account into your SGD account first, at the bank exchange rate. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Walking through a door in which country if he has "non UK address"?

In the uk.. He walks in opens the account.. Gets net banking etc set up.. Then they will change both his tax residence and postal address for the account after opening to his thai address.. 

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/your-details/registering-foreign-address-online/

Solved (for this specific need). 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is for existing accounts .

For a new account , the person would have to be living in the U.K (I asked yesterday in a Nationwide branch) 

Like I keep saying.. Theres no issue there.. In fact the opposite.. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Would be interesting to know why the account is needed, sounds a bit murky

Hes going to generate a significant taxable event and needs to ensure his Thai residency is firmed up, his UK exit status is correct (he filed it years ago but days per year is not perfect, we maintain a Irish address also that has no passport control between them) and he can pass KYC for a non UK and non Thai financial institution. 

This is all about ensuring everything is perfect, in advance and in correct sequence, for undisputable capital gains protection. 

22 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Hes going to generate a significant taxable event and needs to ensure his Thai residency is firmed up, his UK exit status is correct (he filed it years ago but days per year is not perfect, we maintain a Irish address also that has no passport control between them) and he can pass KYC for a non UK and non Thai financial institution. 

This is all about ensuring everything is perfect, in advance and in correct sequence, for undisputable capital gains protection. 

He doesn't want to use a thai bank account so he doesn't get taxed in Thailand?

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He doesn't want to use a thai bank account so he doesn't get taxed in Thailand?

Well yes he doesnt want to remit any amount of this size into Thailand, it would technically be 'income gained and remitted into the kingdom in the year it was received' and also have questions raised about getting it back out again (with a FETF but still) finally who would want to use a Thai account and pay the in and out % they cream off the top for no reason. Thai onshore is a dead end. 

We will work to a proper multi currency expat account based to Thailand and may not take the capital gains windfall until then but we may need to rapidly solve the KYC issues before sale of the assets. If so the above nationwide solves this urgently. 

Its all about tieing up lose ends which had been left untidy and having the right addresses on file. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

I think you will find it very difficult to open a UK account nowadays without several documents proving you live there. e.g. Utility Bills, Council Tax bill, UK driving licence.

When my Thai wife came to live with me in England in 20 years ago, my UK High Street bank wouldn't allow me to open a joint account with her unless she could provide Utility Bills in her name and of course no bank account = no utility bill, catch 22.

So it's not something new.

Just now, foreverlomsak said:

When my Thai wife came to live with me in England in 20 years ago, my UK High Street bank wouldn't allow me to open a joint account with her unless she could provide Utility Bills in her name and of course no bank account = no utility bill, catch 22.

So it's not something new.

Strange with none of those things I got accounts in Lloyds, Santander, Monzo, Starling, etc etc when I fist started visiting again in the summers.. All those registered to a commercial non residential address.