Thailand's COVID-19 Vaccine Expected in 2024

webfact

\

According to her, 596 million baht was spent for preparing the industrial production of viral vector vaccine. The preparation was completed.

And it's the older/traditional "viral vector" type vaccine like AstraZeneca versus the newer mRNA type like Moderna or Pfizer.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

And it's the older/traditional "viral vector" type vaccine like AstraZeneca versus the newer mRNA type like Moderna or Pfizer.

I think the article is confusing on that point, since it references several different types of vaccines once you go past the brief excerpt posted here in the thread and read the full remainder of the article.

In the full article, the main vaccine they're talking about for 2024 seems to be the following:

"The development of mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 by Chulalongkorn University would enter the third stage of its clinical trial next year. It will precede registration with the Food and Drug Administration and then the vaccine’s use for people. The registration was expected in 2024, Ms Traisuree said."

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The numbers are dropping all over the world. There will likely be no need for a vaccine next year. I am done with them. My first booster was my last. No side effects. Just don't need one. Let's move on, shall we? 

I don't have an opinion about the Thai vaccine, I have no idea of the rationale behind it.

But your comment omits that the case numbers are dropping exactly thanks to the vaccines. The virus itself doesn't show any sign of going away. Since afaik a Covid vaccine has a limited duration, it follows that (yearly?) recalls might be needed, see example the flu vaccinations. Perhaps only for seniors and those with risks, but still.

You may say no more vaccines for you, but you don't represent the whole population.

Moving on I agree, it's happening already, but a shot per year I wouldn't mind in the least.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I don't have an opinion about the Thai vaccine, I have no idea of the rationale behind it.

But your comment omits that the case numbers are dropping exactly thanks to the vaccines. The virus itself doesn't show any sign of going away. Since afaik a Covid vaccine has a limited duration, it follows that (yearly?) recalls might be needed, see example the flu vaccinations. Perhaps only for seniors and those with risks, but still.

You may say no more vaccines for you, but you don't represent the whole population.

Moving on I agree, it's happening already, but a shot per year I wouldn't mind in the least.

Whether or not covid is going away is an opinion. One I have. The numbers are dropping worldwide, and each subsequent variant is proving to be weaker and weaker. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Whether or not covid is going away is an opinion. One I have. The numbers are dropping worldwide, and each subsequent variant is proving to be weaker and weaker. 

I suspect the antigenic drift of Covid-19 will follow pathways similar to that of Influenza. 

Our resistance / immunity will (hopefully) evolve with it. 

I suspect we will encounter yearly / seasonal cycles - some years may be worse than other as with the Alpha Influenza strains, we may get the odd ‘bumper-year’ as with the H1N1 outbreak in 2009 - A(H1N1)pdm09.

As with influenza - a seasonal vaccine for those at risk may be the sensible response. 

I never felt the need in the past... 

However, with the amount of travel I do I’m starting to think its a good idea to take an Influenza vaccine.

Pre-Covid it would seem I pick something up on a flight once or twice per year - its not nice arriving back in Thailand (or on holiday) and feeling crappy for a week. 

While obviously I’d want to avoid both - at the moment I consider Influenza to present greater risk

to my health than the Omicron Variant of Covid-19... 

Thus: I’d take the flu vaccine and perhaps wait for the Covid-19 vaccine unless travel or work requires proof of further boosters or a more serious Covid-19 variant emerges against which a vaccine is proving or thought to prove effective. 

• Thumbs Up 1