How to check finance on a motorbike

PattayaKevin

I paid my ex wife for my motorbike which was financed under her name. She said she paid it but I'm not sure. She can't provide me with a receipt from the finance company she lost it. She refuses to provide me with the finance company says she forgot. How can I find out if there is a loan on the bike? 

18 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

I have the green book so does that prove it's paid off then here in Thailand? 

Any finance company would usually keep the green motorcycle registration book. 

If you have the (real) Green registration book, the finance is paid off - chassis numbers & registration number in the book should match the motorcycle. 

You will need to transfer the name of registration into your name. 

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Reading comprehension difficulties ?

1) its his ex-wife (they’ve already said ‘bye bye’ !!!)

2) He has the Green Book... which means the Ex Wife was correct. 

Correct but the next step depends on how his relationship is now.  He's either going to need her to visit the Land Transport Office with him or get her to sign a Power Of Attorney document (+ signed copies of her Tabien Bahn and ID Card) so he can transfer the bike into his name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

personally, i would be saying bye bye to the wife.

she is talking absolute <deleted> to you

Maybe true but also true that many Thais believe they know the law but in fact their 'version' is not correct.

Had this many times in the loud know-all relatives of my Thai son's wife.

E.g. 1: When my son got married his wife's demanding/loud elder brother tried to inist that my son go with him imediatelt to the local Land Titles Office to transfer the house and and my son had fully owned (chanut in son's name) for some 5 years before they married.

Sons wife's brother was loudly insistant that on marriage, by law, the land and house must be transferred to the wife's name.

E.g. 2: Sons loud mid-aged lady boy brother in law was discovered making a list of the names, Thai ID numbers, DOB, address etc., of son's wife's father/mother/siblings and all their kids.

When asked why he was making this list he explained that it's Thai law that when any Thai person marries and there's a farang in the other family, then the farang must instantly and forever pay all the people related (all on his list) a monthly salary until their death of 50,000Baht.

(On many occasions lady boy BIL <never been outside of Thailand, can't read English, Pathom 3 education> had spoken about wealthy farang and was adamant that all farang are rich because all folks who come from farang countries (all ages) get a massive salary every month direct from their government even if they already have a high work salary. He also claimed he had called the Australian embassy about this and they confirmed it's true and it extends to all relatives and in-laws, and the monthly amount is roughly 50,000Bah a month.) 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PattayaKevin said:

She said she paid it but I'm not sure

Go to the bike shop where it was purchased, they will give you an update on the amount owing. 

If they are reluctant to give information, tell them that you would like to pay the loan out. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

28 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Go to the bike shop where it was purchased, they will give you an update on the amount owing. 

If they are reluctant to give information, tell them that you would like to pay the loan out. 

The fact the OP has the green book suggests any outstanding monies owed have been paid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The fact the OP has the green book suggests any outstanding monies owed have been paid.

The first post the OP didn't say he had the green book. 

Yes, true, if he has the green book more than likely the bike is fully paid for. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Maybe true but also true that many Thais believe they know the law but in fact their 'version' is not correct.

Had this many times in the loud know-all relatives of my Thai son's wife.

E.g. 1: When my son got married his wife's demanding/loud elder brother tried to inist that my son go with him imediatelt to the local Land Titles Office to transfer the house and and my son had fully owned (chanut in son's name) for some 5 years before they married.

Sons wife's brother was loudly insistant that on marriage, by law, the land and house must be transferred to the wife's name.

E.g. 2: Sons loud mid-aged lady boy brother in law was discovered making a list of the names, Thai ID numbers, DOB, address etc., of son's wife's father/mother/siblings and all their kids.

When asked why he was making this list he explained that it's Thai law that when any Thai person marries and there's a farang in the other family, then the farang must instantly and forever pay all the people related (all on his list) a monthly salary until their death of 50,000Baht.

(On many occasions lady boy BIL <never been outside of Thailand, can't read English, Pathom 3 education> had spoken about wealthy farang and was adamant that all farang are rich because all folks who come from farang countries (all ages) get a massive salary every month direct from their government even if they already have a high work salary. He also claimed he had called the Australian embassy about this and they confirmed it's true and it extends to all relatives and in-laws, and the monthly amount is roughly 50,000Bah a month.) 

555, 50k a month.

I assume much Lao Khao had been consumed when these acts were being committed. 555

20 hours ago, PattayaKevin said:

I paid my ex wife for my motorbike which was financed under her name. She said she paid it but I'm not sure.

Apart from the green book and all that.

What would happen if she didn't pay? As far as I know it doesn't take too long before the finance company would come to repossess the bike. 

I guess she could arrange maybe lower payments and for a longer time. But no payment? 

I have the paperwork from her to transfer the bike into my name and it will be transferred once I get back to Thailand from the US and get a new visa and new residence certificate. The original loan was paid off but then it was refinanced about 6 months before we got divorced. I have no clue where she refinanced it. She sent me a screenshot of what was due to pay it off then I sent her the money then several days later she gave me the paperwork to transfer it and the green book. 

22 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

I have the paperwork from her to transfer the bike into my name and it will be transferred once I get back to Thailand from the US and get a new visa and new residence certificate. The original loan was paid off but then it was refinanced about 6 months before we got divorced. I have no clue where she refinanced it. She sent me a screenshot of what was due to pay it off then I sent her the money then several days later she gave me the paperwork to transfer it and the green book. 

Who is currently listed in the green book as the owner ? Often the finance company will release the book but remain listed in it as the owner. My wife had a car under Nissan finance, but had the book from day one with Nissan listed as owner. Later when the loan was paid, she was put as owner.

If she has the book and ex-wifes name is owner , that would usually indicate the finance has been cleared.

31 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

The original loan was paid off but then it was refinanced about 6 months before we got divorced. I have no clue where she refinanced it. She sent me a screenshot of what was due to pay it off then I sent her the money then several days later she gave me the paperwork to transfer it and the green book. 

After the original loan was paid off, was it transferred into her name?