60-70% Of Thais Have Been Infected With Covid: Expert

webfact

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nope, last recent update from the government here was projecting sometime into 2023.

I was wondering. The new vaccines are available in the US but I was hoping for the newest vaccine before getting the next “booster”.

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I know many people who got the earlier variants before vaccines were rolled out, all of them survived to tell the story and none of them hospitalised.

Just the other day there was a story of a 105 years old Thai guy, although treated in hospital, but unvaccinated and was released from hospital in less than a fortnight.

He received a passive vaccine, called Evusheld, and it likely saved his life.

9 hours ago, rwill said:

While I know people that have had Covid here it is nowhere near 70% of them.

'may have' seems to be the key words here.

More like ‘likely’. Neither you nor they would know (if they were asymptomatic), which many have been. As someone else pointed out, many of us knew the actual figures were grossly higher than what was put out. 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

A THAI medical expert said in a Facebook post today (Sept. 21) that blood tests previously carried out indicate that around 60-70% of the population have been infected with Covid-19, particularly the dominant Omicron subvariant, Matichon newspaper said.

Not me... 

60% is totally believable, in fact it would be surprising if it were less than that, and it is probably at least 70% by now.

The majority don't even know they are infected, and many others suffer from a cold, which is largely indistinguishable from any other or indeed a bad allergy day.

Most (or everone? ) around me treated this deadly disease with a few paracetamol and the green pills purchased from even 7/11.
4-5 days with light symptoms.
My brother , living in Germany, had Covid 2 times. First infected in Bergamo/Italy when the whole thing started, 2nd time he did chose omicron.
His 1st infection he thought was a flu after skiing, just stayed home for a few days. It was detected months later.
With Omicron he did go to a clinic and was sent back home, just given a few pills.
My old parents, both 86, never got infected living in the same house with him.
Guess we all need 5-6 boosters and should wear masks to the end of our lives ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

66 million Thais divided by 3 years Covid multiplied by 0.6 (60% of population) equals an average of 36,000 new cases a day. Is this correct?

No, far from it. They say most of the infections are going to have been Omicron and that arrived just a few short months ago, apparently.

I reckon it's more like half a million a day in recent months and not just here, everywhere.

22 hours ago, mommysboy said:

60% is totally believable, in fact it would be surprising if it were less than that, and it is probably at least 70% by now.

The majority don't even know they are infected, and many others suffer from a cold, which is largely indistinguishable from any other or indeed a bad allergy day.

I wonder how many are still taking tests regularly, or whether employers still obligate it. I was in the bank the other day, people here still wear masks there, and the lady at the desk asked me to pull mine down to confirm my passport pic (good she does that I believe).... then she got up to make copies and gave a couple of coughs and I suggested maybe she had Covid. She quickly whipped a negative test strip from her pocket! 

Edited by jacko45k