Former Canadian soldier & alleged hitman accused of killing B.C. gangster in Thailand could face death penalty if extradited: lawyer

webfact

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Canada doesn't send people to countries that may enact the death penalty.

And bravo for Canada, but that is basic extradition protocol worldwide. Unless a country deliberately waves it, if said country does not have a death penalty they will not let a prisoner be extradited to a country that does, without assurance death penalty will not be a possible outcome. 

Check Ms Jinjiara Smith; AKA Ms Jägermeister, and her extradition to the US from the UK.  

17 hours ago, webfact said:

An ex-Canadian soldier and alleged hitman accused of killing a former B.C. gangster in Thailand could face the death penalty if he is extradited to face trial, his lawyer says

Seems fair to me..

If you travel to another country for the soul purpose of executing someone and get caught you face the same fate.

18 hours ago, bobbin said:

Why even say something like this?

So you are ok with even more violence in the illegal drug trade? The obvious approach is to decriminalize all drug use and source clean safe products for people..

But you don't like that idea. You want to continue the 70 year old unwinnable  War on Drugs. You have already made many posts to this effect in discussions regarding Thailand's efforts to liberalize (humanize) formerly harsh laws , whose only effect was to over-fill their prisons..

Whatever you are on you need to stop. 

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

And bravo for Canada, but that is basic extradition protocol worldwide. Unless a country deliberately waves it, if said country does not have a death penalty they will not let a prisoner be extradited to a country that does, without assurance death penalty will not be a possible outcome. 

Check Ms Jinjiara Smith; AKA Ms Jägermeister, and her extradition to the US from the UK.  

Yes I know.

The article mentioned he "could" face the death penalty.  Of course that would be off the table if Canada we're to extradite it's citizen to Thailand.

It's unfortunate that the Canadian wasn't more stealth.  The "victim" wasn't really a victim and was a menace to society.

I get your point though. 

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I find it very strange when people come to Thailand and say things like 'i come from CA' expecting us to know what the hell they are talking about. 

Do you have problems, when people in Thailand.  say things like he's a  scouse, geordie, sassanach or sheep sh---er, and expect people too understand what they are talking about?  

It's always something.