what's on my face, and how do i remedy it?

BananaBandit

I've included a picture.  The issue is located within the red outline.

I realize there's a separate facial blemish shortly outside the red outline. 

It's a scar from half a lifetime ago, so not relevant to the current issue. 

I've had this current issue for 3 weeks now. 

I tried putting some pimple-fighting powder on it.  Not much success. So I gave up. 

In the last few days, I started adding some rubbing alcohol, so as to prevent (further) infection.  

Now comes the embarrassing part:   I have very little self-control with picking at myself.  Much of the 
time, I do it without even realizing, until I see the blood on my fingers.

The band-aides I buy here tend to fall off in like 20 minutes.  

Is there some product I should buy?   Maybe an ointment or something?

face issue 1.jpg

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Could be a form of herpes zoster or shingles virus

If it is that... Give something like Zovirax cream a go... 

If it is some form of herpes a Dr could also prescribe some antiviral medication which can kick its backside (I’m not sure what its called).

Best to see a Dr. of course.

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If it is some form of herpes a Dr could also prescribe some antiviral medication which can kick its backside (I’m not sure what its called).

ACYCLOVIR is the only tablet medication I'm aware of for herpes.  It is available OTC in 400/800 mg tablets.  ZEVIN is an OTC acyclovir ointment.

Acyclovir does not cure herpes, nothing "cures" herpes but it does alleviate symptoms

OP really should see a medical professional asap and get a diagnosis.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There was a time when people with medical issues visited a doctor or at least a pharmacy.

Is that not in fashion anymore?

Is it now a question for an online guess game?

The best urgent medical advice I ever received was from this forum, which likely saved my leg from infection a couple months back. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1258683-what-happened-to-me/#comment-17340813

( I also think the forum is very underrated for relationship advice. )

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The picture is blurred and totally unclear.

Can't tell anything from it.

is tyhe lesion raised or flat? Was there a scab that you pulled off? Is there discharge etc etc

Sorry, my cell phone camera is rather sub-optimal.

The lesion, or whatever it may be, is considerably raised. 

Yes, I've pulled off scabs. Multiple times. It's embarrassing to admit.  I sometimes do this without even realizing it. 

Some discharge. A little bit of blood.  Maybe also some yellow discharge, as with a blister.

My face has broken out before. But not as severely. And for only a matter of days.  This current bout is more pronounced and, at 3 weeks now, has lasted far longer.

Edited by BananaBandit

10 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

The best urgent medical advice I ever received was from this forum, which likely saved my leg from infection a couple months back. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1258683-what-happened-to-me/#comment-17340813

( I also think the forum is very underrated for relationship advice. )

And do you think if you would have visited a qualified doctor you would have received worse advice (and treatment)?

Obviously, it's possible to receive qualified advice in a forum, but is it smart to follow any advice because somehow it sounds good?

Another example is advice in the computer forum. I am a computer professional since forever and sometimes I give advice here and sometimes I read advice from others. And sometimes it's good advice and sometimes bad advice. And it happens regularly that I visit people with computer problems, and they often have stories like: I had this little problem and I looked at the internet and I followed that advice. And then they have a bigger problem... 

At least for me that is a reason not to follow advice from people who I don't know if it is important. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And do you think if you would have visited a qualified doctor you would have received worse advice (and treatment)?

Well, yes, I would hope a qualified doctor would have noticed the issue's severity. 

But the thing is:  I didn't realize the matter was important enough to go to a doctor.   In fact, I almost didn't bother making that post at all.  I thought people would ridicule me for worrying over a small boo-boo.  It turned out they told me to get immediate medical attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Another example is advice in the computer forum. I am a computer professional since forever and sometimes I give advice here and sometimes I read advice from others.

Yes, I remember you from that forum.  You have personally given me advice/info in the past.  You are one of the members who makes this forum a worthwhile place to visit.

• Thanks 1

What was initial cause of erruption/abrasion?

Recommend hot wet towel and soap cleaning, followed by hydrogen peroxide, cover with large band aid. If no rapid improvement overnight, see a doctor in AM.  Red inflammation around wound and depth is worrisome. Infection may have progressed to point where topical ointment alone will not work.  Absolutely have to stop picking at/touching wound.

Edited by Gecko123

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously, it's possible to receive qualified advice in a forum, but is it smart to follow any advice because somehow it sounds good?

Another example is advice in the computer forum. I am a computer professional since forever and sometimes I give advice here and sometimes I read advice from others. And sometimes it's good advice and sometimes bad advice. And it happens regularly that I visit people with computer problems, and they often have stories like: I had this little problem and I looked at the internet and I followed that advice. And then they have a bigger problem... 

At least for me that is a reason not to follow advice from people who I don't know if it is important. 

"A computer professional?"

Please explain.

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

Sorry, my cell phone camera is rather sub-optimal.

The lesion, or whatever it may be, is considerably raised. 

Yes, I've pulled off scabs. Multiple times. It's embarrassing to admit.  I sometimes do this without even realizing it. 

Some discharge. A little bit of blood.  Maybe also some yellow discharge, as with a blister.

My face has broken out before. But not as severely. And for only a matter of days.  This current bout is more pronounced and, at 3 weeks now, has lasted far longer.

Sounds like a bite, infected pimple or abrasion which is unable to heal because you keep picking at it.

There isn't a way to get it to resolve without ceasing to pick at it. Apply an antiseptic, cover with a bandage and leave it alone.  Try one of those transparent bandages and then tape strongly around the edges so that you can't easily pull it off.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 3:07 AM, Sheryl said:

Sounds like a bite, infected pimple or abrasion which is unable to heal because you keep picking at it.

There isn't a way to get it to resolve without ceasing to pick at it. Apply an antiseptic, cover with a bandage and leave it alone.  Try one of those transparent bandages and then tape strongly around the edges so that you can't easily pull it off.

Almost 4 days with no significant picking.  Combination of ointment and bandages with tape. 

Here's a clearer picture (from yesterday).

pimple 1.jpg