Handsfree only: New penalties for using a mobile phone while driving in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

Other countries have big fines and loss of demerit points and still catch hundreds of phoe users every week. Thailand has no chance of stopping it. It is the norm for drivers and riders to be on the phone.

Not to mention motorcycle riders!

• Like 1

Good Morning,

I hope this applies to motorcycles as well Thailand ??
I see just as many if not more motorcycle drivers playing with there phones while driving, If it’s anything like helmet enforcement or many people sitting in the back of open pick-up trucks , This Law will be another laughing stalk that RTP hardly enforces !!    

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

I thought the phone use while driving was already in effect a few months ago remember reading about it oh I guess for a few days or make news after that nobody will care TIT

For their safety I hope this "new rule" also applies to motorbike riders since the are the most vulnerable IE 80% of deaths 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

they generally are only a risk to themselves,

If Thailand wants to become a Euro-like nanny state , it needs to try and protect even those who are only endangering themselves. And the kids on the motorbike are the ones needing protection as the dysfunctional  parents  don't give a damn. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Archie Baker said:

What about all those people behind a pair of handle bars.  Does the law apply to them?  

Back seat tandem riders?

OP seemed very specific about being 'behind the wheel'. Doesn't matter really, cannot be implemented. It would be possible after an accident to determine if a person was on the phone at the time of the incident, and thus could be prosecuted. 

1. I do not believe that this law will be nationwide and strict enforced.

2. Since the people even do not care to darken their Windows completly, how will they check it. The police is even afraid of enforcing this against the rich and powerful.

3. As we all know, Thais do not care at all about the traffic laws. Remember how long the law exist against .motorcycles on the sidewalk. It's still the Same.

4. Thais are learning resistent when it comes to the laws.

5. The RTP is to lazy too to do their job  excepted when it comes to foreigners who ate easy to rip off.

6. As long they do not use automated camaras for speeding and phone using Systems, nothing will happen.

7.Thailand never will improve.

We could go forever.

• Thanks 1