Thai Civilized Party leader urging Constitutional Court to consider foreign land ownership

snoop1130

I am wondering who is ruling the country.... In every dispute the Constitutional Court has to rule.... Make a law vote for it and the result will show yes or no... Why constantly ask the constitutional court.. We know how they rule  

• Like 1

Xenophobia at it's best again ...

Keep your land , I do not want it anyway .

It is some kind of philosophical question if somebody can 'own ' land at all ... Yes , one can pay for it , buy it , put it in their name , but it will only be ' their's ' as long as they live . After they died , somebody else will be the ' owner ' .

If you are old already , same me , I could only use it for a few more years , until I die . Is that worth the effort of buying ? I doubt that .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news for those who own prime plots of land, prices will go up.

Should not affect poor Thais too much, as they live in places no one who has money would want to live.

The real question is how this plan adjusts over the coming years?  More land, less cost of investment, etc.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai ancestors had sacrificed their blood and flesh to protect this land with their lives.

I wonder how many foreigners died in Thailand during world war II trying to kick the Japanese out after Thais rolled over.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even at this early stage I see it as a no brainer for any foreigner to accept this plan to buy land in Thailand under the details so far - so many potential problems:

Who are the main beneficiaries of this idea? Government, Real Estate Agencies, Corporate bodies.

These wealthy people; will one rai be enough and where will it be located? 

When the Thais know it is for the "Wealthy", up will go the prices to stupid levels.

Who could you later sell to and would potential buyers be "qualified"?

Who can legitimately inherit the land apart from Thais?

With the changes every five years - who will benefit?

Linked with Retirement extensions, work permits, etc

For those who are elderly, investment opportunity not much of an issue.

It's a "get rich quick" scheme and is not the way to grow the economy that should be planned for gradual improvement, especially as it relates to catching up from all the losses incurred re Covid.

The people who spend the money are the likes of us over many years that help provide jobs for local businesses, regularly bringing in foreign exchange, etc 

My point is that objections by the Nationalists are unnecessary as it will affect hardly any average Thai person.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

Some foreigners already own plots of land in Thailand.

They're called war graves...

Yes and as of today I will be wearing my poppy to remember them the war graves in Kanchanaburi are beautifully maintained ????????????????????

Edited by crazykopite

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And elsewhere where Thai's can buy land in other countries, did there ancestors die for the country they now own land in.  Speaking of WW2 how many foreigners died on land in Thailand killed by the Japanese as they were forced to build the Bridge over the River in Kanchanaburi, and how many foreigners died removing the Japanese from Thailand?  Does anyone see the naivety and staunch selfishness by those who other countries saved? 

If foreigners were allowed to buy land in Thailand it would not be long before the Chinese and Indians would own Thailand. yes other countries have laws allowing foreigners to buy land and look at what is happening to them. and no one is speaking of WW-2.

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Does anyone really believe more than a handful of super rich, super crazy foreigners are going to invest 40 million baht for 3 years to enable them to buy a measly 1 rai of land?  I don't believe its something for the politicians, or anyone else to worry about.

I don't know. Go to the investment and stocks forum for Aseannow. We've got some mighty big wheeler-dealers, here.

This deal is purposely designed to omit the average person because it does not make any financial sense . However , TIT and it just could be a way of opening the back door to wealthy Asian / Russian folk and I am sure there will be ways of massaging the figures for a fee .

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And elsewhere where Thai's can buy land in other countries, did there ancestors die for the country they now own land in.  Speaking of WW2 how many foreigners died on land in Thailand killed by the Japanese as they were forced to build the Bridge over the River in Kanchanaburi, and how many foreigners died removing the Japanese from Thailand?  Does anyone see the naivety and staunch selfishness by those who other countries saved? 

It's because Thais are as racist as they come, they only want the colour of your money not you.

• Thanks 1

The T&C's of this land ownership by foreigners proposal are so steep the take up will be very small anyway. A storm in a teacup imho. Perhaps this is really pre election campaigning. Tell the people they will be overrun and dispossessed by dastardly farang. It works in the UK however far fetched the claims made:  Turkish invasion at any moment helped vote leave in 2016, the at least for the moment Home Secretary, herself the daughter of migrants, now saying dinghy Channel crossing migrants are an invasion.