Freezing Food.

NoshowJones

We have an outside freezer, someone has left the lid open and the food is completely defrosted, the freezer is mostly empty and the food, one packet of green garden peas two packets of fish, two packets of pork sausages, and pack of French Fries, have completely defrosted, can any of that food be defrosted again and be safe to eat? Thanks.

No, definitely unsafe.

Any bacterial contamination of the food is in suspended animation while frozen. Once thawed, the bacteria get to work producing toxins which cause gastroenteritis. Protein is particularly susceptible.

Is it worth risking serious illness for a few hundred baht?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No , don't take the risk , give the sausages  and fish to the Soi dogs and cats.

regards Worgeordie

You would give rotten food to the soi's dogs and cats because you care for them or want to poison them?...

• Haha 2

Depends how long defrosted, and if vacuum sealed.  Cook to proper temp, or more, and should be safe to eat.  Your nose will tell you instantly when you open the meats.

Freezing (again) kills most things also, why many countries require sushi meats to be frozen along the way to the plate.

DO cook before giving to soi animals, unless not a fan of.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

You would give rotten food to the soi's dogs and cats because you care for them or want to poison them?...

I don't think the fish and sausages would be rotten yet ,he only found out,

that's why he is asking OK to refreeze or not , I don't think he would be asking

that if the food was rotten  ........do you....

regards worgeordie

You should not refreeze or eat defrosted food left out in the heat for a long period of time.  You said your freezer and food was outside. You should not refreeze totally defrosted food anyway.  
And cooking the heck out of it is not going to make it safe to eat.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I was taught at cookery school that if something defrosts, it is ok to refreeze AFTER you cook it well.

same here..if anyone had shopped at Macro ect all the meat is frozen and defrosted..then you see restaurant/shop/ families buying 20.. 30 kilo of meat trolleys full.you can't tell me it's l cooked one day and definitely wouldn't last long ....having a second separate large  fridge unlikely especially for  some families..it's refrozen...all my wife's family bloomin dozens who live near us my wife said all refreeze I've been doing the same here for 10 years after all what can I catch to do me harm that I didn't catch from the local skirt around the camp at Catterick Aldershot  ha

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

There's a good tip for when you go on holiday. Freeze a glass of water then put a coin on top of the ice and leave them in the freezer. When you come back from holiday, if the coin is still on top of the ice then you know there was no extensive power cut and everything is fine with your freezer. If, however, the coin is now at the bottom of the glass then you know that there was a sufficiently long power outage to defrost everything in the freezer and none of the food will be safe to eat, throw it all out. In the OP's case here, the coin would have been at the bottom of the glass, so chuck out everything.

Good idea. But better buy something like this at Lazada for 300 to 400 Baht. I couldn't live without it. Can C/F, will show min/max temperature and you can even set alarms. It has a magnet so that it can be attached outside the freezer. Batteries last forever. Put the sensor units in plastic bags to avoid that they will get wet. 

SmartSelect_20221102-164507_Lazada.jpg

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Depends how long defrosted, and if vacuum sealed.  Cook to proper temp, or more, and should be safe to eat.  Your nose will tell you instantly when you open the meats.

Freezing (again) kills most things also, why many countries require sushi meats to be frozen along the way to the plate.

DO cook before giving to soi animals, unless not a fan of.

Vacuum sealed or not, most perishable foods still need refrigeration. Cooking food does not destroy the toxins produced by bacteria. Your nose will not necessarily tell you if food is safe. Freezing kills multi-cellular oganisms like parasites not bacteria, viruses, toxins and some spores.

Edited by LosLobo

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I don't think the fish and sausages would be rotten yet ,he only found out,

that's why he is asking OK to refreeze or not , I don't think he would be asking

that if the food was rotten  ........do you....

regards worgeordie

I have since found out that the wife's daughter had defrosted the freezer, but the food was completely thawed, so if I cook it then smell it and it is OK then it is safe to eat it?

My wife says it will be fine to eat.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I was taught at cookery school that if something defrosts, it is ok to refreeze AFTER you cook it well.

The food has been refreezed again so if it is cooked say in a slow cooker, it should be OK? the food is less than 1000Bt worth but I would need to travel to the nearest Makro to replace it which is about 60 Ks away.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The food has been refreezed again so if it is cooked say in a slow cooker, it should be OK? the food is less than 1000Bt worth but I would need to travel to the nearest Makro to replace it which is about 60 Ks away.

Is it worth it if you did get sick?

I've eaten meat that was in the fridge too long, but overcooked it to be sure and not very nice to eat. Never eaten food that thawed from frozen outside a fridge, ie got warm before cooking.

I'd eat the peas and chips though.

Advice on chest freezers. They work best when absolutely packed full, unlike refrigerator freezers.

Models can be standard or frost-free. We get ice build-up in our standard. But I've been told frost-free dries out the food you store, even in vacuum bags.

Your freezer might be smelling a little funky after this episode. We did many washes & rinses with baking soda & vinegar. Don't use bleach! Even that approach won't get rid of the stink entirely.

Get some bundles of the herb bai toey at Makro. Change them every couple of days, freezer closed, turned off. Then get your freezer cold & add a bunch of bai toey with your food. Works for fridge smalls, too.