Probate Procedure in Pattaya - The information that I could get

Mickeymaus

One difference between Thai inheritance law and the UK is the rights of the spouse. The spouse does not automatically get everything in Thailand.

When my wife died, I had to get letters from her parents and siblings stating that they did not want anything and to give it all to me.

No big issue though. The lawyer will advise you exactly what you need.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi just for information. My Thai wife passed on about a year ago and left a Thai Will with 2 executors. I used a lawyer in Chiang Mai to obtain the Court Order (Thai equivalent of Probate) for the 2 executors to action the Will which took about 4 months and cost less than Bt30,000 for the whole process. The lawyer I used though did not speak any English but otherwise did a very professional job.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MikePBrown said:

Hi just for information. My Thai wife passed on about a year ago and left a Thai Will with 2 executors. I used a lawyer in Chiang Mai to obtain the Court Order (Thai equivalent of Probate) for the 2 executors to action the Will which took about 4 months and cost less than Bt30,000 for the whole process. The lawyer I used though did not speak any English but otherwise did a very professional job.

Would you care to share the contact details of that lawyer, by PM if necessary? I for one would appreciate it very much.

Below a list of documents needed - from the link below. There you will find also other valuable information about the probate procedure. But there is no need to worry. Simply go to the court and talk to a lawyer there. They will tell you what is needed in your situation. It is that simple. And you also can find the required lawyer there for relatively little money. 

"In order to file a Probate or Administrative Application in Thailand, you need to prepare the following documents and follow the checklist below:

Passport of the Deceased Person

Death Certificate of the Deceased

PersonMarriage Certificate (in case the Deceased person is married)

Birth Certificate of the children of the Deceased (if any)

List of the estate with the copy of its registration document

Passport of the all heirs (including those who have passed away before the Deceased person)

Passport of the Will’s beneficiary (if any)

Passport of the person who will be the ExecutorConsent

Letter from all heirs appointing the Executor (to appoint Executor)

Wills and Testament (if any)

Relative/Family Tree

Please do note that all document must be in Thai or translate to Thai language.

If the document was issued overseas or the Deceased person passed away overseas, all documents must be certified and legalized by the Thai Embassy or Thai Consulate of that country.

Once you prepare the above document already, you can pass it to the lawyer. Then the lawyer will start the case of Probate or Administrative Application as explained on the next step."

https://siam-attorney.com/probate-administrative-thailand/

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Below a list of documents needed - from the link below. There you will find also other valuable information about the probate procedure. But there is no need to worry. Simply go to the court and talk to a lawyer there. They will tell you what is needed in your situation. It is that simple. And you also can find the required lawyer there for relatively little money. 

"In order to file a Probate or Administrative Application in Thailand, you need to prepare the following documents and follow the checklist below:

Passport of the Deceased Person

Death Certificate of the Deceased

PersonMarriage Certificate (in case the Deceased person is married)

Birth Certificate of the children of the Deceased (if any)

List of the estate with the copy of its registration document

Passport of the all heirs (including those who have passed away before the Deceased person)

Passport of the Will’s beneficiary (if any)

Passport of the person who will be the ExecutorConsent

Letter from all heirs appointing the Executor (to appoint Executor)

Wills and Testament (if any)

Relative/Family Tree

Please do note that all document must be in Thai or translate to Thai language.

If the document was issued overseas or the Deceased person passed away overseas, all documents must be certified and legalized by the Thai Embassy or Thai Consulate of that country.

Once you prepare the above document already, you can pass it to the lawyer. Then the lawyer will start the case of Probate or Administrative Application as explained on the next step."

https://siam-attorney.com/probate-administrative-thailand/

Believe some misunderstanding in above as no person anywhere is required to ever have a passport in home country.  And indeed most Thai will not have.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe some misunderstanding in above as no person anywhere is required to ever have a passport in home country.  And indeed most Thai will not have.

I quoted from the link. You are correct. They should have written an by the court accepted ID.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

I quoted from the link. You are correct. They should have written an by the court accepted ID.

Thanks for posting that link but it is unfortunate that the article makes that error which also makes me question some of the other items.

If you have made a will why do you need - 

• Passport of the all heirs (including those who have passed away before the Deceased person)

If they have already passed away how likely is it you will be able to find a copy of either the passport or ID card?

Contradiction here.

In the main body of the article -

Please note that the person who is an “Executor” on the probate application can be anyone as long as all of the heirs consent that person to be the Executor or is appointed by the Deceased through the Will and Testament.

Then the information you must provide they say -

• Consent Letter from all heirs appointing the Executor (to appoint Executor)

No problem I guess if the executor is also the beneficiary and there are no others.....:unsure:

Thanks for taking the time to post what you found out especially regarding the  court :thumbsup:

Is the court the one on Sukhumvit by the main junction after the Floating Market (other side of road)?

20 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks for posting that link but it is unfortunate that the article makes that error which also makes me question some of the other items.

If you have made a will why do you need - 

If they have already passed away how likely is it you will be able to find a copy of either the passport or ID card?

Contradiction here.

In the main body of the article -

Then the information you must provide they say -

No problem I guess if the executor is also the beneficiary and there are no others.....:unsure:

Thanks for taking the time to post what you found out especially regarding the  court :thumbsup:

Is the court the one on Sukhumvit by the main junction after the Floating Market (other side of road)?

In respect of articles on the Internet. Often you see a confusing advice on the Internet that ends with the contact data of the lawyer... ????

Best go to the court and talk to the lawyers at the court. All five (they were in the room at this time) were extremely friendly and I had the impression that they didn't do such a Probate Procedure for the first time ????. They were extremely helpful without asking for money. And yes. It is this court:

Pattaya Provincial Court
038 252 131
https://maps.app.goo.gl/H8me9tf1S2EEmq6R8

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Plus in some circumstances it might need a 'court order' which originates from the deceased persons  instructions/wishes in the will.

Required to access bank accounts of the deceased I believe. Making progress with a funeral will need that. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Required to access bank accounts of the deceased I believe. Making progress with a funeral will need that. 

In Thailand that's a 'mixed' situation. In the past plenty of members have posted that they have ben part of / well aware of situations where the bank:

- Insisted on seeing a court order.

- Insisted on seein the benefiriries name(s) in a will but nothing more.

- On being told of the death allowed the wife/husband/familt to access the funds in accounts held by the recently deceased.

- In many cases the deceased held joint savings accounts, with wife (official and not official) /other family members/friends.  In some cases both account owners need to sign, so not se easy but refer to all the point above. Or also in many cases the account is set up either party can sign, so away you go with drawals.

- In many cases there's an ATM card andwife/husband/ bf/gf know the ATM PIN NO. Banks don't seem to care if the account gets rained. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

- In many cases there's an ATM card andwife/husband/ bf/gf know the ATM PIN NO. Banks don't seem to care if the account gets rained. 

The last case that you mentioned is theft if you are not the legal owner of the money. Other heirs might have a problem with that.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

In Thailand that's a 'mixed' situation. In the past plenty of members have posted that they have ben part of / well aware of situations where the bank:

- Insisted on seeing a court order.

- Insisted on seein the benefiriries name(s) in a will but nothing more.

- On being told of the death allowed the wife/husband/familt to access the funds in accounts held by the recently deceased.

- In many cases the deceased held joint savings accounts, with wife (official and not official) /other family members/friends.  In some cases both account owners need to sign, so not se easy but refer to all the point above. Or also in many cases the account is set up either party can sign, so away you go with drawals.

Illegal or not, I did just that when my OZ friend died here, but I did have permission from his next of kin in NZ, to take out money to pay for his funeral, hospital bill, and get his body returned to our local Wat (43k) from police forensic dept.