Immigration latest: Korean conman, Indian on overstay, 56 Chinese, illegal migrants, Austrian benefits' cheat

webfact

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

You must work for a government department, or did? 

Yes, why not just get criminal records tattooed on everyone’s wrists and save the paperwork?

Sometimes an IQ test may prove more worthwhile than any other test.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

"A few undesirables" I reckon it would be a lot more than a few, but as you say, it would have a big impact on tourist numbers. It would stop a lot of people with drugs convictions, probably even people who were busted for having a bit of pot *which to me isn't a big deal, but it's still a drugs conviction.

Considering pot is legal in Thailand, you don’t think that would be slightly hypocritical ?

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

A while ago I watched a TV programme in the UK about the immigration people at Auckland Airport NZ. A guy had flown from the east coast  USA for a month or two in NZ. Anyway, the immigration people started questioning him about drugs, and he answered that he had smoked some pot 3 days or so earlier in the States. They put him straight on a plane back to the States, saying that they thought that there was a very big risk of him smoking pot in NZ.

This is not NZ, in Thailand pot is legal to grow and smoke.

I think you’ve entered the wrong forum.

6 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

This is not NZ, in Thailand pot is legal to grow and smoke.

I think you’ve entered the wrong forum.

It's probably to do with the fact that for the 20 years I lived in Thailand it was illegal, I haven't kept up with the times. In the UK drinking and driving is quite a serious crime, is it hypocritical of the Thais to not treat it the same way?

Edited by Andrew65

A price they pay for giving visas-on-arrival to anyone. If people had to apply for a visa before travelling, and that included a criminal record check, a very large number of people would be barred from visiting Thailand.

they don't give visa on arrival to just anybody. only 16 or so nations are on the list and Austria is most definitely not one of them.

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

they don't give visa on arrival to just anybody. only 16 or so nations are on the list and Austria is most definitely not one of them.

If you have an ordinary passport issued by one of the following countries, you can travel to Thailand without a visa for up to 30 days:

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium

1 minute ago, Andrew65 said:

If you have an ordinary passport issued by one of the following countries, you can travel to Thailand without a visa for up to 30 days:

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium

that is visa exempt, not visa on arrival. they are not the same.

2 hours ago, sambum said:

A friend of mine was denied entry to the USA for the very same minor drugs charge. (Possession of marijuana) He put "None" on some paperwork, and was dragged off to Immigration at the airport and grilled for a "very serious crime"!!! And put on the next plane  home to Blighty!

In an earlier life when applying for a multi entry crew visa for the US I recall you even had to state if you'd ever been a member of a communist party which would also disqualify you.

Don't know if it still is.

22 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It's probably to do with the fact that for the 20 years I lived in Thailand it was illegal, I haven't kept up with the times. In the UK drinking and driving is quite a serious crime, is it hypocritical of the Thais to not treat it the same way?

If you’ve lived in Thailand for 20 years you would understand everything in Thailand is hypocritical. But that is for Thailand to sort out, not for us to place western values on them.

What we think is right and wrong is irrelevant as it is in all countries to which a foreigner visits.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sure. (with my apologies for the sarcasm.) 

1 hour ago, Exilerunner said:

We Foreigners bring disease and crime - That is the message. We don't see a report on Thai criminals, do we?

I'm sure Thai media outlets are full of it. It's sexy and sells well to the prurient in any country.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Tell me a European country that would carry out such ridiculous and extreme measures as you are proposing just to go on holiday!

There would be an exodus, all the way back to countries that didn't enforce such nonsense.

Where do criminal record checks start and finish by the way? When are they considered minor? When are they considered ;' spent ' convictions?

When you have convicted drug traffickers who served time in Australian prisons, (a country with a strong rule of law and order and a good respectable court system) in the present day Thai government, how is that going to work?

Many of the Thais wouldn't be able to leave Thailand if such proposals were put in place by other countries as a reciprocal agreement to such a proposal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, 146 out of 147 arrested were Asian. I feel a little under-represented as a white alien farang !

The Austrian offender could have been an Asian immigrant to Austria making it a perfect score. ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Well that would be a huge help. I think a very large number of people wouldn't even bother applying. Do you know how long it takes to do a full CRC in the UK for instance? And it costs. There'd be no tourists for the next 5 years! And going back how long? Spent convictions? Traffic offences? You can get visaless entry to Taiwan and probably many other places. Thailand's not alone. I guess it just attracts "the wrong type". I wonder why?

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Is this going to be a regular thing?  Regular reporting of how awful and criminal foreigners are?  I'm sure that won't have any negative effects on foreigners in Thailand. ????

I guess someone needs a distraction.

Why does Asean Now need to give a rundown on the Immigration Depts

activities.

Hope that negative comment doesn't get back to rooster.

56 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Tell me a European country that would carry out such ridiculous and extreme measures as you are proposing just to go on holiday!

There would be an exodus, all the way back to countries that didn't enforce such nonsense.

Where do criminal record checks start and finish by the way? When are they considered minor? When are they considered ;' spent ' convictions?

When you have convicted drug traffickers who served time in Australian prisons, (a country with a strong rule of law and order and a good respectable court system) in the present day Thai government, how is that going to work?

Many of the Thais wouldn't be able to leave Thailand if such proposals were put in place by other countries as a reciprocal agreement to such a proposal.

I wasn't proposing anything.

Russia's a European country, and I believe we've always need a visa to go there, even for a holiday.

Edited by Andrew65

• Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahrain
  • Belgium

Precicely. Without a visa, as you say; no visa on arrival needed, which anyway ls not available for the countries you listed.

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I believe that is done if I as a Brit want an ESTA to travel to the States. The Embassy or a company contracted by it does it. I believe a drugs conviction disbars someone from visiting the USA,

That's why so few crimes are commited in the USA.....

• Haha 1