Fears that Thais will NOT get to watch World Cup on TV after all - SAT go cap in hand to FIFA

webfact

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Those Thais who can speak English can watch and listen to live matches on the BBC and ITV.....with a VPN of course.

Sadly, not too many Thais can understand English.

You don't need to listen to watch football.

This should have been sorted many months ago. If they do manage to raise the cash from the private sector, expect pop up ads every minute or so as they won't give money for nothing. And probably Thai only commentary from the comfort of a studio in Bangkok.

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Those Thais who can speak English can watch and listen to live matches on the BBC and ITV.....with a VPN of course.

Plenty of alternative channels too. As long as the official channels divide their customers by man-made borders I'll happily pay alternative channels to watch what I want wherever I want. In any language not just English.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"And they don't even have to watch. I am sure the results will be published for free."

you just don't get it , You have a 100 Baht on a team to win a game , it's much more

exciting  watching said game , the ups and downs of it , better than just seeing results,

many people could not afford to pay for it , and no other way to view ,unless the Government 

comes up with the cash .

regards worgeordie

"and no other way to view" - disagree with that statement 100%. The world cup, like almost all international professional sports, can viewed for FREE om vipleague

1 hour ago, AgentSmith said:

Plenty of alternative channels too. As long as the official channels divide their customers by man-made borders I'll happily pay alternative channels to watch what I want wherever I want. In any language not just English.

I know someone who watches several UK channels via IPTV. The people who own the channels won't sell him their stuff as he's in Thailand so he gets them off someone who will. Simples. Weird that businesses spend millions putting out programmes and then not let you see them. It's a strange world.

Maybe Qatar TV shows some matches ... I also noticed that in the past weeks there was almost no Premier League on Astro and Sky Net anymore, and much less German Bundesliga. Bein Sport Channel also disappeared. Perhaps it's time for a TRUE subscription? What happened in the middle of the season? 

I'm not sure the streaming option can scale - hundreds of millions - especially when you get to last 15 matches.

The 2018 Final was said to have been viewed by 1.12 BILLION people.

I mean Netflix, Amazon, etc. have built sophisticated CDNs, so hoping tens of millions of people are re-streaming may not be enough?

11 minutes ago, Lizzy Duang said:

Maybe Qatar TV shows some matches ... I also noticed that in the past weeks there was almost no Premier League on Astro and Sky Net anymore, and much less German Bundesliga. Bein Sport Channel also disappeared. Perhaps it's time for a TRUE subscription? What happened in the middle of the season? 

I've had no problem with beIN sports, but I pay for it, very reasonably priced it is too, under 1000 Baht for the season.

30 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

To be fair, it is considerably preferable to American-rules sportsball ("football"), American-rules rounders ("baseball"), American-rules netball ("basketball"). 

"Sports" where one nation takes part, and they have world championships - laughable!

1 hour ago, Screaming said:

Such a boring sport, there must be something better to do.

soccer.jpg

I think you're out of synch with humanity. But that's okay. What you wrote is just your opinion, which you are entitled to. But most of the planet disagrees.

WCup.jpg

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, anchadian said:

Not being able to understand the commentators is definitely a major plus.  Watching the EPL, I frequently have to mute the commentary because of the inane $hite that is being uttered both by the main commentator and the side-kick.  (The latter often painfully ignorant of the laws of the game!)

For some reason, the sound of a female commentator makes things even  worse, usually because of the higher pitch of the voice, which brings out  regional accents more acutely.   Mostly Essex and Northern.  

How blessed is a Thai listener not having to cringe every time he hears "cup" pronounced as "coop" (plus all uses of "u" that become "oo".  Country becomes "coontry" and so on.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BostonRob2 said:

The chip on your shoulder in this matter makes you sound less like OneMoreFarang and more like OneMoreManFarang.

Rooster

The chip on my shoulder?

Which one?

I am not a fan of football or soccer or any other sport. And I am especially no fan of sitting in front of a TV and watching other people do sport.

If anybody likes sport, fine, play it!

And if you want to watch it then watch it - and pay for it.

I also pay if I go to the cinema. I think that is just fair. I don't demand that all movies, or the movies which I like, should be paid by the taxpayer.