I got angry today, as always "thai people know it better, your way might work in farangland, but this is Thailand" ...

AndyAndyAndy

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

walking away from a situation that can be resolved, is weak

But this cannot be resolved.

His wife's unrealistic grasp on life, her beliefs and racism is ingrained into her too deeply.

The reason for so many supporting posts is that most on here realise that the OP will eventually split from his wife, due to their massive cultural gap and his wife's unreasonable behaviour.

This unreasonable behaviour will never change, so the majority of the supporting posters know that the OP can get out before he has to suffer any more humiliation and hate (on a daily basis) from his darling wife.

If you find that surprising, I presume that you have never been in the same situation as the OP.

It's really sad and disappointing, that so many have such little understanding of Thai life and upbringing they spout racism at every opportunity to 'protect' their own reputation 

Please don't respond as it will derail the thread, instead perhaps  contemplate why you felt the need to cast such an inaccurate slur

On 11/18/2022 at 10:55 PM, ChrisP24 said:

Love the map of the (narrowly averted!) wild tiger incident.

On the garage roof, maybe if you do it yourself your way, then for the next 50 years it will remain your space as it will be "too unsafe" for your wife's motorbike, stored items, etc. 

lucky the guy didn't report you for working ..remember Not allowed 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not true. We are allowed to work on the family house.

We can also "work" at other things eg, when the area I lived in got flooded, I was out digging trenches in front of the assembled local council. I was not arrested and charged for doing a job a Thai could do.

I also wired up the family's houses, and did their plumbing.

If what you said was true, farangs would not be allowed to buy tools.

I came free, and apparently very useful indeed ????????????????????

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

.... these forums always have the ‘wannabe lawyer’ regurgitating such utter ‘can’t paint your own house’ nonsense, believing the utter tosh told to them by the Ex SAS guy they spoke to in the beer bar.....  

....  guys so dumb they don’t know they are dumb... 

I once got deported for washing my dishes.  ????

• Haha 1

They always think they know best. When we had a house built the guy installing the cabling wanted to put the telephone and electrical cables in the same conduit down the wall. I stopped him and told him seperate channels. His reply "But this is how we do it in Thailand", my reply "maybe you do but you are not doing it here".

He did it the way I wanted it but wasnt happy.

Well well it appears I must say this again ????

Conditioning that one is superior regardless of race colour or creed does not make one a racist, so one can only question the validity of such ignorant comments remaining on the thread, takes allsorts to display such ignorance I guess 

Edited by 473geo

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not true. We are allowed to work on the family house.

We can also "work" at other things eg, when the area I lived in got flooded, I was out digging trenches in front of the assembled local council. I was not arrested and charged for doing a job a Thai could do.

I also wired up the family's houses, and did their plumbing.

If what you said was true, farangs would not be allowed to buy tools.

Getting away with it and officials looking the other way does not mean it's allowed, it's not legally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Well well it appears I must say this again ????

Conditioning that one is superior regardless of race colour or creed does not make one a racist, so one can only question the validity of such ignorant comments remaining on the thread, takes allsorts to display such ignorance I guess 

On the contrary, I  would say that most racists are conditioned to be that way. And in my mind that is still no excuse for their poor judgement, as adults we must take responsibility for our actions.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:23 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Did they ground them properly? I made the electrician ground the electric shower unit I paid him to install, and he put a very short rod in the ground, which was useless. After he left I put the correct length of rod in the ground.

Did you measure the ground resistance then? When did you measure in dry or wet season? The length is depending on resistance measurement. Just let you know.

Better have RCBO's in the groups. 30 mA tops.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sad story of Thai men knowing better.

A few years ago in Songkhla, some were working on a sewer.

One get in and collapsed, second one go in to help and collapsed, third one same story and even the chef got in as 4th and collapsed.

4 people died on sewer gas.

About my wife? Bought a solar lamp and i put it up.

She never heard about solar light, but insisted to point the solarpanel towards the sun, while the lamp would light up on a useless piece of area. I ignored and put it otherway around. Ofcourse she was angry at first, but as she SAW it was working, it was ok.

It wasnt my explination who made her change her mind.

I have many conversations on how something works, but though she can hear me, she doesnt listen.

After being away for 2 years, the timer, controlling outlights were dismantled. Why I asked? No one knew how it worked, despite I explained wife and showed her. Ok back to square one.

Same as being in Thaiwasadu, trying to have discussion on LED color light, my wife as interpreter. No clue how she did and as I dont understand Thai.

As I know 3000 K is warm light (yellowish), 4000 K is daylight and 6000 K is coolwhite. And they were selling 6500 K as daylight, it was even so on package. So Thailand has another version of color, decission made by Thai men? OK have to do try and error to see.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Sad story of Thai men knowing better.

A few years ago in Songkhla, some were working on a sewer.

One get in and collapsed, second one go in to help and collapsed, third one same story and even the chef got in as 4th and collapsed.

4 people died on sewer gas.

She never heard about solar light, but insisted to point the solarpanel towards the sun, while the lamp would light up on a useless piece of area. I ignored and put it otherway around. Ofcourse she was angry at first, but as she SAW it was working, it was ok.

I have many conversations on how something works, but though she can hear me, she doesnt listen.

After being away for 2 years, the timer, controlling outlights were dismantled. Why I asked? No one knew how it worked, despite I explained wife and showed her. Ok back to square one.

Same as being in Thaiwasadu, trying to have discussion on LED color light, my wife as interpreter. No clue how she did and as I dont understand Thai.

As I know 3000 K is warm light (yellowish), 4000 K is daylight and 6000 K is coolwhite. And they were selling 6500 K as daylight, it was even so on package. So Thailand has another version of color, decission made by Thai men? OK have to do try and error to see.

Maybe….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

On 11/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Your wife doesn't respetc you. Get a new one that does ????

No, it's not like that. I explained to someone on Facebook how my Thai family works.

Practical job to do? Father in law does it. If father in law not available, mother in law does it. If mother in law not around, Mrs T does it. At that point, it's my turn, right? Nope! They find a man to do it!!

Is that the lazy man's charter? Of course, it could be but I find it frustrating!

On 11/19/2022 at 12:03 AM, it is what it is said:

thankfully, i only date educated, professional thai women, many of whom have traveled extensively, and so have never had to deal with such parochial views on life.

Now that's a Laugh and a half , there are a lot of them  that are worse then normal educated less traveled women women.   ????

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

This is your mistake, you talk too mut!

When I want to talk, I have my rabbits, they never argue or ask me for money.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

.... these forums always have the ‘wannabe lawyer’ regurgitating such utter ‘can’t paint your own house’ nonsense, believing the utter tosh told to them by the Ex SAS guy they spoke to in the beer bar.....  

....  guys so dumb they don’t know they are dumb... 

putting a room on the house would be classed as building work wouldn't it ..are we allowed to do this ...ok a bit of painting In the house no probs but actual building work? just asking 

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Now that's a Laugh and a half , there are a lot of them  that are worse then normal educated less traveled women women.

Wife has a good friend from years back who has a Masters in English.

Talk to her - 555

Must be English 2.0 - which I don't speak

On 11/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You reckon a new wife will be better simply for being new?

News flash- women don't come with guarantees of satisfaction.

I struggled to keep my marriage, and only got divorced when it became obvious I was beating a dead horse.

You should have stopped beating her

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

putting a room on the house would be classed as building work wouldn't it ..are we allowed to do this ...ok a bit of painting In the house no probs but actual building work? just asking 

If I had the time, knowledge, skill or inclination, I’d do it myself - I certainly wouldn’t worry about someone arresting me for working without a permit... It’s simply making adjustments to your house.

Others may get tangled up in their own weeds, but this is stuff that really doesn’t bother me here.

Doing jobs, renovating or building work on your own home is somewhat different if ‘helping out’ at a point of business etc..

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 12:40 AM, 473geo said:

Surprising amount of posts supporting this rather feeble minded option ????????

It's a challenge, thrown up now and again, but building trust takes time, walking away from a situation that can be resolved, is weak, working to fix it shows strength of character 

Also assists to understand that there are circumstances where the Thai will achieve a good result, often for little baht, so a guy doesn't need to display his skills, gotta choose your moments ???? 

So you just told us what? There's no question nor answer in your response

• Like 1

Even my stupid gf (we have many problems) can see that I can do much better in professional manner. After  I really got tired of many Thai construction workers we hired for building a small house. I decided to do all by myself after walls were up with stucco  ????????. My gf believed in my work but after all electrical work and lifting all floors about an inch, real flat for laminate, tiling walls and floors she thinks that I'm a master. No "Thai can do better" since she has see many Thai workers do lousy jobs (some players too).  

well I guess your wife living in her own world, nothing to do with Thailand. 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, 473geo said:

Surprising amount of posts supporting this rather feeble minded option ????????

It's a challenge, thrown up now and again, but building trust takes time, walking away from a situation that can be resolved, is weak, working to fix it shows strength of character 

Also assists to understand that there are circumstances where the Thai will achieve a good result, often for little baht, so a guy doesn't need to display his skills, gotta choose your moments ???? 

I'm glad you included "can" in "a situation that can be resolved". I gave my wife 2 years to resolve the situation, but in the end the only option left was to leave her. Taking, horses, water and drinking comes to mind.

Thais were brilliant at fixing punctures, but not so great at welding, wiring or plumbing. Luckily for me I can do all that myself.

19 hours ago, degrub said:

My story is about when I wired up an outside light through a circuit breaker ( the correct way ). Without going into the complicated reasons they wanted to wire it without going through a circuit breaker, I refused on safety grounds, so they waited till I was away and got village electrician to come and rewire it. Unfortunately, village electrician didn't understand that a direct short isn't a good idea and melted 10 meters of electrical cable, the switch and the light fixture.

When I returned I laughed like a drain and said I wasn't going to pay for the new wire and fittings.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was useful and I was free. I wired up one house because the wiring was dangerous, and the one I lived in to suit myself. Seems people never put in enough plug sockets.

Sockets! As we planned our house build, we looked around all sorts of houses ... extension cables, hanging wires everywhere. We put in at least twice as many sockets as anyone else, including some square pin sockets from the UK. That was a good decision.

Later, I replaced some of the sockets to include USB chargers. Another good decision. We had some work done in the bedroom and I don't know how they did it but they managed to kill the USB sockets on my side of the bed.

• Like 1