Home immigration checks may be on the uptick

9 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I was informed by my IO a few weeks ago, that orders from above dictated that applications for a change of status VE/TV to Non O are now subject to a home visit, regardless of whether based on Thai spouse or retirement.
I know of 2 (retirement) who had such visits in the last month, before the Non O application could be approved. Reports elsewhere as well.

Does application refer to the normal extension process or something different?

Do you have to let them inside the house, or is a warrant required for that?
My house doesn't have a number on the gate or the walls, but we have been given one, and the post office delivers here regularly. Is it a legal requirement to have a number on display, for Immigration purposes.

17 hours ago, markwhite said:

Not sure of the usual prevalence of these around the country, but I just had my first home visit in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

I have seen a group of immigration officers loitering around in the nearby local market place lately. Never seen before.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

The interesting thing here is that home visits are not usually done for those who are working, are they?

This suggests to me that they're operating outside the law.

They're in for a shock if they turn up at my door as I know there's absolutely no grounds for a home visit.

You may be within your rights but IMHO if you refuse them you may well be in a whole heap of trouble at your next extension.

My advice would be to welcome them, comply with what they want and let them go on their merry way.

If you are perfectly legal what is there to worry about?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Would these same home visits apply to holders of retirement visas done through an agent.

Depends on which IO issued your extension stamp and what address was used, unless of course you filed a new TM30 with the IO in your Province.

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

A home visit is not part of the deal with a TE visa at all.

What deal? The only deal that I can deduce is that, I’m in a SE Asian country and I must abide by the laws and including it’s variables. I’d like to witness a foreigner get fussy and struggle with an IO over a variable as I’ve seen before in the office to no avail.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 2

Is this for first time visa applicants or every subsequent visa? I've been in Thailand for 22 years and I live more often in my Bangkok house than I do in my Pattaya condo, which is my residential address registered with the Pattaya Immigration office.