Germany arrests 25 accused of plotting coup

Scott

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Like 25 people could overthrow a government and take control of a country...

Doomed to fail from the getgo! 

Extremely blown up story.

A mentally disturbed "Prince of Reuß", one former elite soldier ("the military arm") and a bunch of conspiracy theorist, COVID deniers, anti vaxxers,  antisemites etc. pp.

But a wonderful chance for the leftist incompetent madam interior minister to distract from the real threats to society.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yep, you sure are. Here's an article where they describe arresting a Far-Right plot to literally overthrow the German government and replace it with Fascists, and yet somehow or other there's some statement about the Far Left? Who? Where? What did they have to do with this? Where have the Far Left been organizing and undertaking coup d'etats like we have seen in two major Western democracies in the last two years? Answer: nowhere, nobody, never. The "Far Left" is a fantasy that was invented to make people forget just how extreme the Right has become.

Well, there was the Red Army Faction (Baader-Meinhof Gang) back in the day.  Perhaps no coups d'etat, but certainly a leftist terrorist organization. But otherwise I agree that the threat to liberal democracy today comes primarily from the right.

46 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Well, there was the Red Army Faction (Baader-Meinhof Gang) back in the day.  Perhaps no coups d'etat, but certainly a leftist terrorist organization. But otherwise I agree that the threat to liberal democracy today comes primarily from the right.

Duuuuude. Baader-Meinhof? The 1970s just called and wondered why none of the people 50 years later undertaking terrorism are from the Left but people are still talking about it as if they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Yep, you sure are. Here's an article where they describe arresting a Far-Right plot to literally overthrow the German government and replace it with Fascists, and yet somehow or other there's some statement about the Far Left? Who? Where? What did they have to do with this? Where have the Far Left been organizing and undertaking coup d'etats like we have seen in two major Western democracies in the last two years? Answer: nowhere, nobody, never. The "Far Left" is a fantasy that was invented to make people forget just how extreme the Right has become.

Can't have one without the other, generally - there are, without a doubt,  radical factions on all sides - depending on your interpretation of societal norms.

"Far left" and equally "Far right" is no fantasy for some.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pla Simon said:

Can't have one without the other, generally - there are, without a doubt,  radical factions on all sides - depending on your interpretation of societal norms.

Oh, so the fact that the "Far Left" exist is sufficient in your mind to equate it with the Far Right who have ALREADY IN THE LAST TWO YEARS ATTEMPTED TO OVERTHROW THREE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED GOVERNMENTS?!?!?!?! Where are the Far Left you so fear?

This is just bizarre. One example of what the Right believe to be the "Far Left" is Antifa, whom you will recall is a loosely-organized coalition of the Left (some Far Left, most not) that organize solely to oppose fascists. They have no political party, they don't attend Antifa rallies for their favoured politicians, they have basically one philosophy - to oppose fascists because they know there is only one language fascists understand; direct violence. So they protect the targets of the fascists (inevitably the marginalized) and engage in violence against the fascists who do the same. But you can't vote for them, they're not attempting to overthrow democracy, you can't even find a policy paper about their political positions. Because they don't have any other than to punch fascists in the face. One I heartily agree with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pla Simon said:

You're just wrong in history and in the facts. Where are the far left groups plotting armed overthrow of governments anywhere in the western world. There never has been and likely never will be. You're just apologising for far right wing fascists.

34 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Duuuuude. Baader-Meinhof? The 1970s just called and wondered why none of the people 50 years later undertaking terrorism are from the Left but people are still talking about it as if they are.

Back in the 1970s the threat to democracy came mostly from the left. Today it comes mostly from the right. I did not intend to imply that the threat today comes from the left, but you mentioned in your post that it never came from the left. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Back in the 1970s the threat to democracy came mostly from the left. Today it comes mostly from the right. I did not intend to imply that the threat today comes from the left, but you mentioned in your post that it never came from the left. 

Maybe he should have said it never comes from the left. You might provide an example, even from 50 years ago.

11 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Oh, so the fact that the "Far Left" exist is sufficient in your mind to equate it with the Far Right who have ALREADY IN THE LAST TWO YEARS ATTEMPTED TO OVERTHROW THREE DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED GOVERNMENTS?!?!?!?! Where are the Far Left you so fear?

This is just bizarre. One example of what the Right believe to be the "Far Left" is Antifa, whom you will recall is a loosely-organized coalition of the Left (some Far Left, most not) that organize solely to oppose fascists. They have no political party, they don't attend Antifa rallies for their favoured politicians, they have basically one philosophy - to oppose fascists because they know there is only one language fascists understand; direct violence. So they protect the targets of the fascists (inevitably the marginalized) and engage in violence against the fascists who do the same. But you can't vote for them, they're not attempting to overthrow democracy, you can't even find a policy paper about their political positions. Because they don't have any other than to punch fascists in the face. One I heartily agree with.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You're just wrong in history and in the facts. Where are the far left groups plotting armed overthrow of governments anywhere in the western world. There never has been and likely never will be. You're just apologising for far right wing fascists.

You're wrong in your interpretation of my post and of me. 

I gave an opinion based on a balanced viewpoint - I certainly don't advocate violence. I have no political leanings towards extremist views in any sense, but nevertheless find such stories evocative.

Not interested in any of the groups you started electronically shouting about - nor did I make the slightest inference.

It's down to your view. To say there aren't radicals on all sides is completely wrong, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Yeah, I suppose so. The biggest threat to the Baader-Meinhof Gang is Old Age.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Maybe he should have said it never comes from the left. You might provide an example, even from 50 years ago.

I thought I provided an example from 50 years ago when I mentioned the Baader-Meinhof Gang in my first comment. I think he did say "never" about threats from the left in his post. Perhaps I misunderstood.

1 minute ago, Pla Simon said:

You're wrong in your interpretation of my post and of me. 

I gave an opinion based on a balanced viewpoint - I certainly don't advocate violence. I have no political leanings towards extremist views in any sense, but nevertheless find such stories evocative.

Not interested in any of the groups you started electronically shouting about - nor did I make the slightest inference.

It's down to your view. To say there aren't radicals on all sides is completely wrong, in my opinion.

This is to me problematic - not about yourself personally, as I don't know you nor have I recalled any posts of yours. Nor that your statement is incorrect, of course there are radicals on all sides, and even some sides that we as normal people probably don't even know exist. 

What's problematic is that here is an unambiguous article about a clear threat from the Right and, in all places, in Germany where it all went so bad in the past. An article that points out how this is just another example of the threats to democracy that are all emerging around the same time and from the same general political direction. The response of many from the Right is to downplay the seriousness of the incident and then to engage in "whataboutism". Your post was classic "whataboutism". Sure, there are some Left radicals/extremists that exist in this world. Why are you even mentioning them? What did they have to do with this incident? Why bring them up unless there's been a concerted effort from the Left to overthrow democratically elected governments? 

This is why I responded to your post. It is the same reason why we Lefties get upset with "All Lives Matter". Sure, of course, that was never in question and was never THE question. It's raised to reduce the impact of the BLM movement by trivializing what they're fighting against and it's raised by people who are not and have never been threatened in the same way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I thought I provided an example from 50 years ago when I mentioned the Baader-Meinhof Gang in my first comment. I think he did say "never" about threats from the left in his post. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Horst Mahler, a founding RAF member, is now a vocal Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction

• Thumbs Up 1