Can I use Thai driver's license as ID for domestic flights?

Most airlines just want some form of photo ID.

ID has to be in English, that's why Pink ID doesnt often work as its in Thai (name is in Thai script) and doesn't match the name in English booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't have a Thai Driving Licence myself. However, was with my Thai sister-in-law when checking in for an Air Asia internal flight when she announced that she had forgotten she had sent her ID card away somewhere. I asked if she had her passport with her? - negative to that! I suggested trying her Thai driving licence but, at that time, I didn't know if she held one. Fortunately she did and even more fortunately had it with her!

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Moot point as foreigners should also carry passport at all times?

I remember pre Covid Thai Viet Jet insisting on a passport as ID even for domestic flights in Thailand.

The law only states that a foreigners passport should be available for inspection at reasonable notice, nowhere does it state that foreigners must carry their passport with them at all times.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I've also used my Thai drivers license. However, if you're traveling and checking into a hotel, the hotel seems to always want the passport. 

Only once in 10 years has a hotel demanded to see my passport and not accepted my driving licence.

I just went to a different hotel very nearby 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

ID has to be in English, that's why Pink ID doesnt often work as its in Thai (name is in Thai script) and doesn't match the name in English booking.

I think it is down to what the airline will accept. My wife had a potential problem last year and this is what easyjet say on the subject.

Identification needed for domestic flights

Photographic ID is required on all domestic flights.

Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic flights (excluding Italy). The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identity.

Children under 14 on Italian domestic flight must show photographic ID.

Here's a few examples of photographic ID that is accepted:

• A valid passport - an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of five years after expiry
  • Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
  • Valid photographic driving licence, provisional or full
  • Valid armed forces identity card
  • Valid police warrant card/badge

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/travel-documents-and-information

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I've also used my Thai drivers license. However, if you're traveling and checking into a hotel, the hotel seems to always want the passport. 

I agree that the pink ID is not accepted at the check-in counter for domestic flights but it is accepted when entering the departure lounge and shown with your boarding pass. At hotels my pink ID card has always been accepted when the reservation is in my name.. I've never been asked for my passport. When the reservation is in my Thai wife's name I don't get asked for any ID.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

ID has to be in English, that's why Pink ID doesn't often work as its in Thai (name is in Thai script) and doesn't match the name in English booking.

Not true. The Thai airline clerks and security people read Thai just fine. What they struggle with is English. Nobody has ever rejected my ID card in Thailand.

Edited by cjinchiangrai

35 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Not true. The Thai airline clerks and security people read Thai just fine. What the struggle with is English. Nobody has ever rejected my ID card in Thailand.

Of course they can read Thai, they are Thai staff working at a Thai airport. And yes, as I said, they do sometimes accept a Pink ID, however, often their official policy is an ID in the same language as the booking, and all bookings are usually in English.

I have used pink ID (name in Thai script) for airline check-in probably 10 times, and it has been refused 2-3 times because it was in a different language

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I agree that the pink ID is not accepted at the check-in counter for domestic flights but it is accepted when entering the departure lounge and shown with your boarding pass. At hotels my pink ID card has always been accepted when the reservation is in my name.. I've never been asked for my passport. When the reservation is in my Thai wife's name I don't get asked for any ID.

Experiences at hotel check-in definitely differ. They always ask for my passport but usually are only concerned with the data page. However, last time in Phuket, two staff checked my retirement extension stamps, discussing them between themselves.  

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Of course they can read Thai, they are Thai staff working at a Thai airport. And yes, as I said, they do sometimes accept a Pink ID, however, often their official policy is an ID in the same language as the booking, and all bookings are usually in English.

I have used pink ID for airline check-in probably 10 times, and it has been refused 2 times because it was in a different language

I guess some people don't understand what transcription is and that it's not perfect. My Mrs and her sister both keep their maiden names. However, on their Thai ID cards, their surnames are spelt differently in English.  

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

^^^ Risky strategy. Hotels are obliged to see your passport for the TM30 info for immigration. As above, license alright for flights but, if you’re travelling, having one’s passport is recommended. 

If you present a Pink card you don’t need your passport 

• Like 1

Yes. On ThaiSmile to be sure. 10 flights on TS this year and only showed Thai DL.

Hotels want PP. Some smaller hotels may accept DL or even no ID at all, but most require PP.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thanks 1